Jeeps and dogs

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi all --- my apologies for what is likely a question asked many times, but I'm a new Jeep owner here (2DR JL Sport S, absolutely love it btw!). Basically, I am wondering about what others do with regard to having your dogs in the back when the top is down --- I guess what I am worried about is safety on the road or trail... E.g., I'd hate to have them see a squirrel, and jump out at a stop sign! I actually bought a couple of dog car harnesses from an outfit in Germany after looking at some reviews (https://www.kleinmetall.de/), but it seems like that might be overkill? I was just curious about the rule-of-thumb for those of us who are both Jeep owners and owners of crazy fun-loving dogs!
Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Legit concern, I went with a harness because my big ole dane mix try to stand on the rear fender with his front paws at 40mph!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
E.g., I'd hate to have them see a squirrel, and jump out at a stop sign!
Oh so true! We have beagles but have not taken the top off yet... :fingerscrossed:

dog.jpg

Sponsored

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign

Dadams20

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have those, but my one dog knows how to unbuckle it or at least steps on the buckle every single time. I ended up going with this for both dogs which attaches to the safety latch bar, so now I don't have to worry (as much).

81-CyuW2HrL._SX679_.jpg
I like your option better! I'll have to get one, I stress a bit that she'll step on the release button.. thanks for the tip!

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
Harness with leash tied to the d-rings on the floor.
This, I’ll try and take a pic when I get home. In my other vehicles I use the seatbelt latch with the harness but that’s not possible with the rear seat removed.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Check out Dirty Dog they have cargo netting that covers the full back of the Jeep. I had that on my JK and my dog loved it because she could still smell and feel the wind through the netting. They just came out with the ones for the JL. It is a bit pricey but I haven’t found any other netting options.

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
This is my set-up which I got it from K9 Outfitters. The quality is great; it is really heavy duty. I had to call them and pester them to send it, but I have been really happy with it, and so has Bo. He is a lot like "Phillip" from SNL-the Hyper Hypo who wore his way out of six harnesses. Anyway, this was him this afternoon (before it rained....). You can adjust the lead and we keep it short so he doesn't fall out the sides with the top down, but he still finds a way to drape over the seat to be with the kids. We give him more slack to move around with the top on. If you go with K9 Outfitters, and you have to call them, as I had to, you will get a kick out of their voicemail message which has no words, just dogs barking.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 3D6D3611-7A01-4AE2-81CD-D9C234B84BE2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs IMG_3639.JPG

Last edited:

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker