What were they thinking?

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
I see these kind of posts quite a bit. Is there a “right” reason for owning a Jeep? I am hopefully about to take delivery of my 4th Wrangler, a 4xe Sahara. I have gone from a 2 door CJ I beat the heck out of, to a sport JKU that was ok fun but basic and switched to a JKUR that I did lots of mods to and it rode on the roads like...you know.

Now I am in my “golden years”. I wanted the best ride and most “luxuries” I could get. I like convertibles, so I got a soft top. I have 4 miles of mud roads to pavement (ok, sometimes it is dirt). And our county plows them last, hence opting for the LSD.

Now, name another vehicle that is as capable as the Jeep on my roads, is a convertible, and has some luxury feel to it, that I can make a 20 mile round trip to town without using a drop of gas.

I think I am just a different type of Jeeper. not an urban Jeeper, not an off road Jeeper. Not a poser. Just someone who loves Jeep’s and purchased it because it was the right fit for me.
I never said variety was bad...Enjoy
Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Spoken like someone who's never experienced the instant torque of an electric motor. It's better off idle than any other jeep, including the diesel. I think we are on jeep number 12 in the last 22 years. Having driven everything from an old wagoneer to xj's, zj's, wj's, tj's, jk's and our JLUR through the Rubicon trail, I'd hardly say I'm a new jeeper. The wife daily drives her jl on 37's about 16 miles each way to work. Had the 4xe been out when we bought it, she would literally be down to using a few gallons of fuel a week. Out on the trails there would be an extra ~175 ftlbs of torque available through the rpm range. It doesn't need to be plugged in in order to work. Factor in the extra 2-5 mpg over our current 2.0t and I see nothing but win here both on and off road. The added weight is about the only drawback I see, but is easily overcome by the huge increase in low rpm torque.
Honestly I should have said that the Hybrid doesn't appeal. You are correct I have not experienced the instant torque of an electric motor but I like hearing an engine.
When the day comes that all electric with serious range is a reality, then I will re-examine my view.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honestly I should have said that the Hybrid doesn't appeal. You are correct I have not experienced the instant torque of an electric motor but I like hearing an engine.
When the day comes that all electric with serious range is a reality, then I will re-examine my view.
That's the beauty of the hybrid, any time you aren't running in fully electric mode it will sound exactly like our jeep AND have a bunch of extra torque. Win, win.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The ESS is an absolute pos. My Jeep is currently at the dealer, probably needs a new battery. They gave me a renegade as a loaner, and the ESS on the loaner is also broken :CWL:. Fiat technology.

The mechanism to move the front seats forward to get in the back (2 door) is terrible, everything breaks.

The plastic pieces that support the rear cubby top cover. Theyre extremely cheap plastic. I broke them on my 2018 JL, and they broke on my 2019 even though I was so careful.

The towing wiring harness is an ordeal to install.

The little metal thingy holding the parking brake cable to the rear frame. it is a pita to reinstall.

I can live with these though. Other than the issue with the front seats.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The towing wiring harness is an ordeal to install.
Agreed. Thanks, CANBUS!

Insomuch that a simple ring terminal connection from the harness to the battery's positive post is required, nothing more, I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't come up with an alternative fitment/solution...one that precludes having to route that single wire from the rear to the front of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Minor pet peeve...but a safety issue that could easily be corrected with a software update:

When shifting out of reverse, the back-up camera shuts off immediately. On my 2018 Audi Q5, the camera remains on for several seconds AFTER you shift out of reverse - brilliant. In the Audi, it’s not even based on forward travel either. If you shift out of reverse and quickly accelerate in drive, you can watch your back-up camera while moving forward. By leaving the camera on, the Audi driver has visibility of obstacles/children/animals, etc. while the vehicle may still be traveling backwards - although the transmission itself is no longer in reverse.

I have a manual transmission JL, so I can put her in reverse, back up, push in the clutch, shift out of reverse (camera shuts off), put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch, and in that couple of seconds roll backwards another 5 to 30 feet depending on speed I was going in reverse, and how quickly I let out the clutch. I could run over a lot of stuff during those blind couple of seconds!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Minor pet peeve...but a safety issue that could easily be corrected with a software update:

When shifting out of reverse, the back-up camera shuts off immediately. On my 2018 Audi Q5, the camera remains on for several seconds AFTER you shift out of reverse - brilliant. In the Audi, it’s not even based on forward travel either. If you shift out of reverse and quickly accelerate in drive, you can watch your back-up camera while moving forward. By leaving the camera on, the Audi driver has visibility of obstacles/children/animals, etc. while the vehicle may still be traveling backwards - although the transmission itself is no longer in reverse.

I have a manual transmission JL, so I can put her in reverse, back up, push in the clutch, shift out of reverse (camera shuts off), put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch, and in that couple of seconds roll backwards another 5 to 30 feet depending on speed I was going in reverse, and how quickly I let out the clutch. I could run over a lot of stuff during those blind couple of seconds!
Stop rolling backwards while not in reverse if your only way to see behind yourself is the camera (fixed vertebrea in your neck AND no mirrors)? I'd hardly call the backup camera only being on when you are actively backing up a safety issue, but to each his own I guess.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

You can change that in the settings. My rear camera stay on for a few seconds out of reverse.

Make sure this is checked:
Jeep Wrangler JL What were they thinking? 77E12B83-64FA-4BC7-86B8-B5E554BA1526

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Stop rolling backwards while not in reverse if your only way to see behind yourself is the camera (fixed vertebrea in your neck AND no mirrors)? I'd hardly call the backup camera only being on when you are actively backing up a safety issue, but to each his own I guess.
Yeah, but then I couldn’t do my Dukes of Hazzard impression with the rear wheels spinning in the dirt while they gain traction and eventually launch me forward.😜

You can change that in the settings. My rear camera stay on for a few seconds out of reverse.
This is awesome! Thanks. Just changed it. Not sure if that was an option in 2018 when I bought it. I asked the dealership, and they didn’t know of a way. Maybe it was added based on my survey I filled out to FCA! :LOL:. Or maybe I just missed it.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Yeah, but then I couldn’t do my Dukes of Hazzard impression with the rear wheels spinning in the dirt while they gain traction and eventually launch me forward.😜
Don't forget about the screeching tires on pavement sound while they show the tires spinning in the dirt

Sponsored

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
How about forcing the red accents on a rubicon. Wouldn't they sell more if you could get all black interior with a different color or at least white accent? Only way to get that is to get the ugly tan seats that don't match as the center console is still black
Yes!! I’d rather have the black leather dash like the Sahara. Hell you pay a shit ton for the Rubicon, it should come with leather and not a plastic or whatever material it is for the money!!

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I actually saw it and really liked it just the way it was, I’ve had so many cars with just a sea of black inside it was different, I had an X5 with brown seats and black interior also and liked that as well.

Its obviously personal preference but just wanted to chime in that there‘s a few of us out there. Judging by how many black and red interiors and how few tan interiors are on the lots though, I will readily agree that I’m in the minority.
I actually like the tan seats too and at first I wasn’t sure how I felt about the black with it but since then I really like it and considering it because I don’t like the red. The only other thing that bothers me is the grey dash. You would of thought they’d make it black with the rest of the dash. 🤔

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Speaking of which, does anyone have a good rain repellent for the windshield that doesn't trade of lack of visibility from rain for lack of visibility from the windshield these preparations make?
I always despised Rain-X every time I applied it to anything, and I couldn't wait to wear it off. Then one day I picked up a set of Rain-X Latitude (I think) wiper blades. I didn't read the fine print, and didn't even realize they were going to apply Rain-X to my windshield. Then I was driving home one night, and I noticed weird water droplets doing the Star Trek thing. I hadn't even noticed it was raining up to that point.

I mean that's how Rain-X was always supposed to have worked, but I could never get it to do that applying the stuff out of the bottle, no matter how careful I was. It just made rain dissolve into a haze of tiny beads that wouldn't wipe away, and I despised it passionately.

I don't know what it is about these things, but whatever. I'm going to put a set on the Jeep whenever I get around to it. I like'em.

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I actually saw it and really liked it just the way it was, I’ve had so many cars with just a sea of black inside it was different, I had an X5 with brown seats and black interior also and liked that as well.

Its obviously personal preference but just wanted to chime in that there‘s a few of us out there. Judging by how many black and red interiors and how few tan interiors are on the lots though, I will readily agree that I’m in the minority.
How’s the ware and tare on the tan seats? I have dogs and thought for that aspect the tan might be better because the black shows the drool/slobber marks lol. Never had tan seats but my friend said her vehicle she sees dye transfer from her jeans on the seats.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
How’s the ware and tare on the tan seats? I have dogs and thought for that aspect the tan might be better because the black shows the drool/slobber marks lol. Never had tan seats but my friend said her vehicle she sees dye transfer from her jeans on the seats.
My drivers seat is blue now. It’s not the seats fault so much as it was the dark jeans.
Sponsored