What were they thinking?

Gurk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Ordered JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
I see these kind of posts quite a bit. Is there a “right” reason for owning a Jeep? I am hopefully about to take delivery of my 4th Wrangler, a 4xe Sahara. I have gone from a 2 door CJ I beat the heck out of, to a sport JKU that was ok fun but basic and switched to a JKUR that I did lots of mods to and it rode on the roads like...you know.

Now I am in my “golden years”. I wanted the best ride and most “luxuries” I could get. I like convertibles, so I got a soft top. I have 4 miles of mud roads to pavement (ok, sometimes it is dirt). And our county plows them last, hence opting for the LSD.

Now, name another vehicle that is as capable as the Jeep on my roads, is a convertible, and has some luxury feel to it, that I can make a 20 mile round trip to town without using a drop of gas.

I think I am just a different type of Jeeper. not an urban Jeeper, not an off road Jeeper. Not a poser. Just someone who loves Jeep’s and purchased it because it was the right fit for me.
I never said variety was bad...Enjoy

Advertisement

Gurk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Ordered JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Spoken like someone who's never experienced the instant torque of an electric motor. It's better off idle than any other jeep, including the diesel. I think we are on jeep number 12 in the last 22 years. Having driven everything from an old wagoneer to xj's, zj's, wj's, tj's, jk's and our JLUR through the Rubicon trail, I'd hardly say I'm a new jeeper. The wife daily drives her jl on 37's about 16 miles each way to work. Had the 4xe been out when we bought it, she would literally be down to using a few gallons of fuel a week. Out on the trails there would be an extra ~175 ftlbs of torque available through the rpm range. It doesn't need to be plugged in in order to work. Factor in the extra 2-5 mpg over our current 2.0t and I see nothing but win here both on and off road. The added weight is about the only drawback I see, but is easily overcome by the huge increase in low rpm torque.
Honestly I should have said that the Hybrid doesn't appeal. You are correct I have not experienced the instant torque of an electric motor but I like hearing an engine.
When the day comes that all electric with serious range is a reality, then I will re-examine my view.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honestly I should have said that the Hybrid doesn't appeal. You are correct I have not experienced the instant torque of an electric motor but I like hearing an engine.
When the day comes that all electric with serious range is a reality, then I will re-examine my view.
That's the beauty of the hybrid, any time you aren't running in fully electric mode it will sound exactly like our jeep AND have a bunch of extra torque. Win, win.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
The ESS is an absolute pos. My Jeep is currently at the dealer, probably needs a new battery. They gave me a renegade as a loaner, and the ESS on the loaner is also broken :CWL:. Fiat technology.

The mechanism to move the front seats forward to get in the back (2 door) is terrible, everything breaks.

The plastic pieces that support the rear cubby top cover. Theyre extremely cheap plastic. I broke them on my 2018 JL, and they broke on my 2019 even though I was so careful.

The towing wiring harness is an ordeal to install.

The little metal thingy holding the parking brake cable to the rear frame. it is a pita to reinstall.

I can live with these though. Other than the issue with the front seats.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unencumbered
The towing wiring harness is an ordeal to install.
Agreed. Thanks, CANBUS!

Insomuch that a simple ring terminal connection from the harness to the battery's positive post is required, nothing more, I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't come up with an alternative fitment/solution...one that precludes having to route that single wire from the rear to the front of the vehicle.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLUR 4xe (On Order)
Minor pet peeve...but a safety issue that could easily be corrected with a software update:

When shifting out of reverse, the back-up camera shuts off immediately. On my 2018 Audi Q5, the camera remains on for several seconds AFTER you shift out of reverse - brilliant. In the Audi, it’s not even based on forward travel either. If you shift out of reverse and quickly accelerate in drive, you can watch your back-up camera while moving forward. By leaving the camera on, the Audi driver has visibility of obstacles/children/animals, etc. while the vehicle may still be traveling backwards - although the transmission itself is no longer in reverse.

I have a manual transmission JL, so I can put her in reverse, back up, push in the clutch, shift out of reverse (camera shuts off), put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch, and in that couple of seconds roll backwards another 5 to 30 feet depending on speed I was going in reverse, and how quickly I let out the clutch. I could run over a lot of stuff during those blind couple of seconds!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Minor pet peeve...but a safety issue that could easily be corrected with a software update:

When shifting out of reverse, the back-up camera shuts off immediately. On my 2018 Audi Q5, the camera remains on for several seconds AFTER you shift out of reverse - brilliant. In the Audi, it’s not even based on forward travel either. If you shift out of reverse and quickly accelerate in drive, you can watch your back-up camera while moving forward. By leaving the camera on, the Audi driver has visibility of obstacles/children/animals, etc. while the vehicle may still be traveling backwards - although the transmission itself is no longer in reverse.

I have a manual transmission JL, so I can put her in reverse, back up, push in the clutch, shift out of reverse (camera shuts off), put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch, and in that couple of seconds roll backwards another 5 to 30 feet depending on speed I was going in reverse, and how quickly I let out the clutch. I could run over a lot of stuff during those blind couple of seconds!
Stop rolling backwards while not in reverse if your only way to see behind yourself is the camera (fixed vertebrea in your neck AND no mirrors)? I'd hardly call the backup camera only being on when you are actively backing up a safety issue, but to each his own I guess.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

You can change that in the settings. My rear camera stay on for a few seconds out of reverse.

Make sure this is checked:
77E12B83-64FA-4BC7-86B8-B5E554BA1526.jpeg

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLUR 4xe (On Order)
Stop rolling backwards while not in reverse if your only way to see behind yourself is the camera (fixed vertebrea in your neck AND no mirrors)? I'd hardly call the backup camera only being on when you are actively backing up a safety issue, but to each his own I guess.
Yeah, but then I couldn’t do my Dukes of Hazzard impression with the rear wheels spinning in the dirt while they gain traction and eventually launch me forward.😜

You can change that in the settings. My rear camera stay on for a few seconds out of reverse.
This is awesome! Thanks. Just changed it. Not sure if that was an option in 2018 when I bought it. I asked the dealership, and they didn’t know of a way. Maybe it was added based on my survey I filled out to FCA! :LOL:. Or maybe I just missed it.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement