Sponsored

What were they thinking?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
My pet peeves about my JLURD.
1. To use the mist single wiper function, we have to push up on the right hand stalk. Every other vehicle is push down for mist.
2. The soft top with the windows out looks horrible. I know it’s sturdy, but without the rear corners it looks like a porch awning.
That’s it. I think the engineers nailed everything else on the JL.

Wait, isn't pull the stalk towards yourself wiper fluid? I thought push up was temporary full speed wipe, and push stalk away was spray the rear windshield?

Or is this one of those things like where I can't remember my passwords unless I have a keyboard to input it into?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How about seat release latches that can be used more than once without ending in your hand...?

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Only thing I find 'wrong' is that even with all of the electric options in mine - my Jeep still cannot do some things my 10 year old Kia can do.

1. Automatically turn on the windshield wipers when it starts raining and auto-detect how fast to wipe the rain away/water splashes on windshield and wipe it off

2. No electric folding mirrors is useful for where I park.

Creature comforts.
My friends and I would always see how long we could drive before turning the wipers on. Do kids still do that today?

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
How about seat release latches that can be used more than once without ending in your hand...?

My wife has the same problem with the rear view in one of our vehicles... I think she swings on it or something. Pole dance I'd like to imagine... Makes fixing it more acceptable.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
My friends and I would always see how long we could drive before turning the wipers on. Do kids still do that today?
Not a kid, but I still do it. When Rain-X came out, I started to do it in all of my cars with it. Everyone but two old high school buddies hates it. You gotta save up the droplets for that cool warp-speed effect!

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Apples and oranges
Na. Apples to Apples in my case.

I want auto-wipers for my Jeep when I'm driving through the city and it rains like in my Kia , and folding mirrors for when I park in my parking stall - like with my Kia.

At the same time I've made threads a long time ago about white-knucklin' down FSRs at speed, turning corners and you're bouncing on the gravel ruts and then hit a puddle and water/mud splashes up onto the windshield blinding you - and you have to remove a hand from the wheel to activate the wipers - that applies here too.

Or going down a path through thick shrubs and another vehicle is coming at you and you both need to inch by each other - after folding your mirrors in - applies also.

So again, if anything the Jeep has more need for these (only if you want to pay for them) in my personal experience of how I use my Jeep on and off road.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
After application of Rain-X.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good rain repellent for the windshield that doesn't trade of lack of visibility from rain for lack of visibility from the windshield these preparations make?

...and that's with buffing it in....twice...

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Jerry: while your point is taken, no rack that can handle hundreds of pounds can attach to the gutter--that is assuming the owner even has gutters, which as you probably know, soft tops don't.

So then there's racks that attach through the hard top. Again, soft top owners are stuck, and many of us don't want to drill through the hard top, or commit ourselves to hard tops only.

I even get your point if rack ownership got in the way of one of the non-electric Wranglers. But with all the talk of the 4xe being the go to vehicle of off road adventures, where precise torque can be applied, and then not making the rig capable of holding a decent rack (e.g. Gobi/LOD) is sort of, IMHO, counterproductive to some of the market segment they seek to tap.
Have you checked out Exposed Racks and Deezee Racks?
I have these two pinned for my future roof rack upgrades that can handle the weight of an RTT and no-drill, but I think they might fit your bill as well.

Last edited:

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
After application of Rain-X.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good rain repellent for the windshield that doesn't trade of lack of visibility from rain for lack of visibility from the windshield these preparations make?

...and that's with buffing it in....twice...

Wait, what's wrong with Rain-X? I've used it for over twenty years and it's still great.
I'm even preparing for my Spring cleaning application of it for this week.

Did you wash the windshield first? If I'm lazy (often), I'll just spray a whole lot of (also Rain-X brand or additive) wiper fluid on first, then only treat the area covered by the wipers.

The one time I had a problem with a foggy windshield was when I was exceptionally lazy, and tried to treat a dirty windshield. I fixed it a week or two later by spraying a whole lot of wiper fluid at higher than highway speeds, then re-treating.

I'm not always fancy; cheap burlap paper towels work fine, you just need to "feel" for the slickness of the Rain-X film.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Unnecessary complexity.

Jeeps were all about ruggedness and simplicity. But everything about these JLs is unnecessarily complicated.

For instance, I just got my Quadratec winch. The Mopar winch plate for my steel bumper had been sitting in the garage for months. I opened the box expecting it to be a 20 minute install, like it was on my JKs.

WRONG! It is a 10-page installation sheet. I need to remove the steel bumper, disassemble the bumper completely, even the tow hooks! I need to replace the bump stops and the support brackets with new ones provided with the winch plate...blah blah blah. I mean, seriously...? Does someone at FCA get paid to dream up this stuff?

Everything about these Jeeps is like that. Even removing the tail lights, one of the easiest things to do on prior Jeeps is now a 30-minute ordeal on JL. Getting to the back of the head unit is another one, etc., etc., etc.

No wonder it takes dealers two weeks to replace a burnt turn signal bulb!

These Jeeps are designed for quick assembly, not for ease of service, let alone modification.
have you ever turned a wrench? Removing the tail lights takes 60 seconds tops.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
have you ever turned a wrench? Removing the tail lights takes 60 seconds tops.
You guys are either in denial or your clocks ain’t working... :LOL:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Oh, almost forgot, that 8AT is so damn good it cancels out the dinky 2dr. gas tank, buzzkillin ESS, and crappy sun visor retainers. I love that transmission :handsinair: :clap::rock:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You guys are either in denial or your watches are not working... :LOL:
Was the tiny Jeep toolkit the only set of tools you’ve ever owned or something? I’ve changed my tail lights out 4 times, it never took more than a few minutes. Front turns are the same way.
Sponsored