Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Have not read through the whole thread yet (sorry if I am repeating someone), but the battery situation in the 3.6 has a lot to be desired. Two batteries, one small the other large, one UNDER the other, takes a trained mechanic/electrician/mechanical engineer to change the batteries. I want to get the Genesis Dual Battery Kit, but have not spent the $$ yet. I want to be able to change the battery out quickly and not have to spend hours disassembling the whole Jeep.........
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
i like it the way it is. The ESS? well, that is more of a industry mandate isn't it?
It's a valid point P.J. but the mandate is really about getting better fleet MPGs, not so much the method by which it is accomplished, or if done via ESS, the way that ESS system is implemented.

True: the EPA standard does allow manufacturers to factor in the better mileage on ESS equipped vehicles, especially those that cold crank with ESS enabled by default (aftermarket tech notwithstanding)--also known as non-latching ESS.

Many of us feel the system could have been designed better and used a bigger and more reliable auxiliary battery.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Only thing I find 'wrong' is that even with all of the electric options in mine - my Jeep still cannot do some things my 10 year old Kia can do.

1. Automatically turn on the windshield wipers when it starts raining and auto-detect how fast to wipe the rain away/water splashes on windshield and wipe it off

2. No electric folding mirrors is useful for where I park.

Creature comforts.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I thought the same thing. For overlanders it really screws up carrying anything on the roof as I doubt a gutter mounted rack could support a tent, awning and all the other things that are nice to have. Of course, where are you going to find a charging station in the middle of the Mojave desert.
There are several roof racks to choose from that mounts to the the gutter and can support a tent and awning. Obviously, it doesn't ONLY mount to the gutter.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Have faith in the aftermarket, someone will find a way to move the charge port so it won’t be in the way of accessories.
..or leading roof rack makers designing new driver's side cowl attachment hardware that still allows access to the 4xe's charging port....

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Looking back on the JL since 2018, what's the top thing that you think FCA...I mean Stellantis just got plain old fashion absolutely wrong about the model?

I know, despite us loving their vehicle there's no shortage of stuff to choose from (like ESS.)

My current beef is why the charging port for the 4xe couldn't be placed somewhere that doesn't get in the way of most roof racks that don't attach to the roof, and in turn to the cowl: now blocked by this port.

"The 4xe: your go to choice for off roading torque, except for the roof rack to hold your gear."

What's your top pet peeve?
They were probably thinking: "then pick a rack that doesn't mount to the cowl. I'm sure you can find several that does the job, and some more."

Last edited:

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Only thing I find 'wrong' is that even with all of the electric options in mine - my Jeep still cannot do some things my 10 year old Kia can do.

1. Automatically turn on the windshield wipers when it starts raining and auto-detect how fast to wipe the rain away/water splashes on windshield and wipe it off

2. No electric folding mirrors is useful for where I park.

Creature comforts.
I could use my remote for my 2004 VW Jetta to open and close windows and the sunroof. The remote was 2/3 the size of this Jeep monster one.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
How do these jetta's and kia's do in the rocks? Apples and oranges. There are a lot of cars that are better cars. There are a lot of suvs that are better daily drivers. There's not a vehicle available today that is even close to a wrangler when it comes to tough trails. The Bronco may be close when you can finally get one, but since the 1st Rubicon came out nearly 2 decades ago, there hasn't been any real competition. You'll see built Tacoma's, 4runners, and old broncos on the Rubicon trail, but I've only ever seen 1 stock rig on the trail and it is always a Jeep. Be it an old flat fender, a tj, a jk, or a JL, the fact of the matter is you just don't see those other guys out there without major modifications. If/when the day comes that I destroy a mirror on a rock, I'll be glad it's a couple hundred dollars versus the $600+ most power folding mirror replacements cost. I'm guessing rain sensing wipers aren't real effective with the windshield folded down? I'm a huge jeep fan and I still tell people all the time, if a luxury street suv that will heat your latte in the cup holder and maybe occasionally take you down a dirt road is what you want, the Wrangler will disappoint you. Get a Mercedes, BMW, infinity, escalade, or even a grand Cherokee. You'll be happier in the long run. There are far better on road vehicles, but none better off road (unless hauling ass in the desert is your bag, then you'll likely be deciding between a raptor and a trx).

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm a firm believer to not be overly critical of design aspects as more often then not, there are perfectly understandable engineering reasons for many of the things we complain about. I just wish there could have been a better solution for the 2nd ESS battery. its a shame to pay a jeep dealer a few hundred bucks just to change a battery. I have no issues with ESS itself.

Here's an interesting one, when I first got my JLUR 1 year ago, I thought Jeep really cheap'd out on crappy hard stiff leather and plastic trim. for a near 60K car, I felt they could have used much better materials. After a couple camping and off road trips, I'm now thankful for the incredibly hard plastic and tough, easy to clean leather. I've had so much luggage bang and rub against the hard plastic in the cargo area without a trace of a scratch. Kind of echoes my point there's more often then not good reasons we don't see right away.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
My pet peeves about my JLURD.
1. To use the mist single wiper function, we have to push up on the right hand stalk. Every other vehicle is push down for mist.
2. The soft top with the windows out looks horrible. I know it’s sturdy, but without the rear corners it looks like a porch awning.
That’s it. I think the engineers nailed everything else on the JL.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My pet peeves about my JLURD.
1. To use the mist single wiper function, we have to push up on the right hand stalk. Every other vehicle is push down for mist.
2. The soft top with the windows out looks horrible. I know it’s sturdy, but without the rear corners it looks like a porch awning.
That’s it. I think the engineers nailed everything else on the JL.
Re: 2, my dog loves safari mode. Shade from the sun, stays dry in the rain, better visibility during the drive. The designer must have been a dog owner.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Scott:

This is completely fair...better, accurate. So many things about the JL Stellantis got right. A vehicle with such broad market appeal can't be all things to all people. With its thousands of moving parts, not everyone can be near perfect, let alone to all owners.

No vehicle achieves this. Not even a Rolls Royce is perfect, let alone resonates with all buyers, if for no other reason, price alone.

My issue lies with simple design changes that would have made a world of difference, like relocating a charging port. But even then, one unique thing about our Wrangler is that if a stock design sucks bad enough, invariably, the aftermarket creates a fix.

Ah ha! Proof my Rolls is perfect.. Not one aftermarket part/accessory available. From the two inches of lambs wool carpet to the illuminated headliner recreating the heavens the day I was born; perfect! :giggle:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Ok, before you slam me, I do know that it is a Wrangler and not a Lexus ... But, when you are paying north of 50K for your ride ...

My only complaint is a lack of QA at the factory. A driver going home from the dealership with a new car should not have to push down all of their fuses to ensure things work. I also had multiple bolts that were not tightly screwed down on the sound bar upon delivery. I am sure that others have similar stories.

You don’t take anything away from the JL’s greatness by doing a bit more of an inspection.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
They were probably thinking: "then pick a rack that doesn't mount to the cowl. I'm sure you can find several that does the job, and some more."
Jerry: while your point is taken, no rack that can handle hundreds of pounds can attach to the gutter--that is assuming the owner even has gutters, which as you probably know, soft tops don't.

So then there's racks that attach through the hard top. Again, soft top owners are stuck, and many of us don't want to drill through the hard top, or commit ourselves to hard tops only.

I even get your point if rack ownership got in the way of one of the non-electric Wranglers. But with all the talk of the 4xe being the go to vehicle of off road adventures, where precise torque can be applied, and then not making the rig capable of holding a decent rack (e.g. Gobi/LOD) is sort of, IMHO, counterproductive to some of the market segment they seek to tap.
Sponsored