Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes being wrong feels bad, I get it. You don’t make it better by continuing to push false info to people.
Assuming I’m wrong...that’s temporary. But you’ll always be an asshole and that’s permanent.
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hello,

So I own a jlu sport with 2” mopar lift with 33” tiers and pro comp wheels 17x9

What I really hate is when im driving 140 the is stays on the 7th... so i bought the car to use the 8 gears not only 7 :(

any ideas how can i fix this.. I want to keep my lift cuz i love it... would it be fixed if I added a bit more power to the car? Such as an intake + Muffler?
Depending on my drive, I can get easily stuck in 7th gear with a slight incline, the right speed, etc. Its the computers choice based on load. However, I hated this problem too....so two things fixed it for me. I am running a JLUR with 2" lift and 35 so wanted to get the best fuel milage possible and needed 8th,.

1. Switched gas to Premium - sounds stupid but it works. Better fuel milage too.
2. Switch to manual mode and upshift into 8th. Works like a charm....if you start to feel too much load...down shift and continue.

Easy no hassle solution :)

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Stop spreading lies. Feel free to look into it if you like, but no, reprogramming does not affect shift points.
I disagree with you, although I suspect you already know better than anyone else, and aren’t open for others opinions. I’ve read lots of people in these forums, when they upgraded tire size, they reprogrammed the new tire size, and this fixed shift points. When you reprogram, you are not just fixing the speedometer, you are telling the computer what tire sizes are on, which is used holistically in the computer, for more than just accurate speedometer. Such as:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/automatic-seeing-7th-and-8th-now.36907/#post-827759

Sjpunx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S, Rock krawler 2.5, 33's, Yukon 4.11 and many more mods
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

What I really hate is when im driving 140 the is stays on the 7th... so i bought the car to use the 8 gears not only 7 :(

any ideas how can i fix this.. I want to keep my lift cuz i love it... would it be fixed if I added a bit more power to the car? Such as an intake + Muffler?
I'm running a 2-inch lift and 33's on my JL and had to re-gear to 4.11. I even flashed for tire size and made no difference. Now it hits 8th no problems and my exhaust drone is gone as well.

HajPaj

First Name
Haj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Well what I hate about my Jeep is the fact that I have to touch the front door first before the back door opens. With my last bmw, as long as my key was on me, I could touch that back door and it would open. It’s super annoying when you have groceries or things you just want to put in the back before getting into the drivers seat.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I hate is that I didn't buy a Rubicon. I had no idea I'd love off roading in the mountains.

I'm going to buy a Gladiator. I will NOT be making the same mistake.

KrazyKirk

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Hello,

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara Unlimited (My first Wrangler) with a 2" BDS lift and 17"x35"x12.5"" General Grabber 3 tires. I could not find a dealer in the State of Delaware to reset the computer to the 35's. It had a hard time finding 8th gear till when I was on vacation in the outer banks, the KDH dealer did the calibration. On long trips like to the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach etc. it averages about 21.8 MPG. It used to be before the lift and 35's about 23.5 MPG. With the computer reset to the tires I catch 8th gear traveling the interstate, which I do every day 20 miles each way to work (40 Total). Now with that said, any grades grades on the interstate it will drop to 7th gear till it catches up. Driving around town I average 17.9 to 19.1 MPG but 8th gear is rarely found. Overall I have no issues, I just love my Jeep. I hope this helps.

Jeeper2

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Contact the shop that did the mods and ask them. If they gave you a detailed receipt/invoice you can check that too. Visually you can't check. But if your Jeep isn't going into 8th with the larger tires, they didn't re-gear the diffs.
also there is an app that you can download on your phone and it will tell you how fast your going and you can compare that with your speedometer to see how close it is. The app is Speedomoeter

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I disagree with you, although I suspect you already know better than anyone else, and aren’t open for others opinions. I’ve read lots of people in these forums, when they upgraded tire size, they reprogrammed the new tire size, and this fixed shift points. When you reprogram, you are not just fixing the speedometer, you are telling the computer what tire sizes are on, which is used holistically in the computer, for more than just accurate speedometer. Such as:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/automatic-seeing-7th-and-8th-now.36907/#post-827759
It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks is happening when they reprogram their speedometer. It has no control functions. All they’re seeing is confirmation bias.

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I have not seen any supporting evidence for whether reprogramming does or does not affect shifting points. Anybody has any solid proof or is it all just opinions? If you have a knowledge of the Jeep algorithm, share it. If you have any other Jeep documentation that says it, show it. Otherwise, nobody here really knows one way or another.

BTW - I agree with the guy that said - just buy a Rubicon.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sounds like the dislike of the vehicle is caused by SELF INFLICTION. It's not the vehicles fault. The OWNERS FAULT. So posting what you hate is actually funny.

My Rubicon doesn't have that issue.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
I like how some members are replying to the thread title by saying what they hate about their own Jeeps

Damn :D

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Step 1. Reprogram so your Jeep knows it’s running 33” tires. That will change your shift points and may fix or mediate your problem. You can buy a JL TAZER online and they’re great for a lot of tweaks including changing your tire size and can be bought for about $350.

Step 2. If the reprogram doesn’t work you may need to look into different gears, which can be quite a bit more expensive.

A lift can negatively affect the aerodynamics of the Jeep by getting more air under the vehicle which creates more drag and thereby causing higher RPMs and lower fuel economy. But in my experience gearing is a much larger issue and there’s nothing you can do about the aerodynamics unless you lower the Jeep again.
Jeep aerodynamics, now that is an oxymoron;)