Sponsored

What Gearing Should I Get?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This has been very helpful!!
I have a 6-speed Sport with 35’s on the Mooar lift. It’s been rough, especially wheeling it! Steep inclines and rocks are extra challenging with NO power!! In 4lo in 2nd gear I can usually get up a steep rock without stalling. But I sacrifice some control because I need to be on the gas too much to crawl up. I am going to 4.88 next week and can.not.wait!!!

I debated 5.13 as I may eventually go to 37’s, but was thinking the 4:1 transfer case would help if I did that? Eventually I want lockers, but for now the e-brake and LSD are doing ok.

I priced getting it all done now, and just can’t swing it. Regearing will be most impactful for me so I’m doing it first.
I have been out off roading 2-3 times a week lately with our gorgeous AZ weather and this confinement.

I will probably swap out the front axle (might truss it, but probably not) and add lockers and the transfer case down the road.
I've researched this subject in great depth and have talked with Dana. A little feedback...Avg prices that I've been quoted including labor for what you're wanting to do to sport axles:

Regear- $1600
ARB lockers front/rear with compressor/labor- $2600
Truss front with labor- $500

Total price of $4700 and you haven't upgraded the sport brakes and you're still pushing your luck riding on a d30(m186) front axle with locked 37s.

Or...you can find stronger/wider takeoff JL rubi d44 axles with rubi brakes/lockers/4:10 gears for around $3k. Axles + locker switches + tazer lite + labor can be done for $4k if you shop around a bit. It's a no brainer IMHO.
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I've researched this subject in great depth and have talked with Dana. A little feedback...Avg prices that I've been quoted including labor for what you're wanting to do to sport axles:

Regear- $1600

Total price of $4700 and you haven't upgraded the sport brakes and you're still pushing your luck riding on a d30(m186) front axle with locked 37s.

Or...you can find stronger/wider takeoff JL rubi d44 axles with rubi brakes/lockers/4:10 gears for around $3k. Axles + locker switches + tazer lite + labor can be done for $4k if you shop around a bit. It's a no brainer IMHO.
thanks! I appreciate it and have been considering just that.
I did look for some Rubi Take offs, but couldn’t find any locally. $4500 for ones online, plus labor to install...and I just can’t swing that right now.
My other concern is 4.10 probably isn’t going to give me enough in a 6-speed, especially for wheeling. I toy with going to 37’s eventually, which is part of why I’d want the stronger axles to being with, and 4.10 definitely wouldn’t be enough at that point.

eventually I’ll add lockers and probably upgrade steering and brakes, I hope to add a Rubi transfer case too. I know it’s better to do it all at once, labor wise, but just can’t afford $4600-$5200 now.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I did look for some Rubi Take offs, but couldn’t find any locally. $4500 for ones online, plus labor to install...and I just can’t swing that right now.
My other concern is 4.10 probably isn’t going to give me enough in a 6-speed, especially for wheeling. I toy with going to 37’s eventually, which is part of why I’d want the stronger axles to being with, and 4.10 definitely wouldn’t be enough at that point.

eventually I’ll add lockers and probably upgrade steering and brakes, I hope to add a Rubi transfer case too. I know it’s better to do it all at once, labor wise, but just can’t afford $4600-$5200 now.
I have a friend who is about to sell his good condition jl rubi d44 takeoffs with brakes and would sell them for $3500 delivered to you in Arizona in an axle crate. PM me if you are interested.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS

Can you let me know how the 4.88s work with your 35s? I am on the fence between 4.56 or the 4.88.

If I was sticking to 35s I think 4.56 would be fine, but I know more than likely down the road when I do a front axle swap I am gonna go 37s which makes me think 4.88.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Can you let me know how the 4.88s work with your 35s? I am on the fence between 4.56 or the 4.88.

If I was sticking to 35s I think 4.56 would be fine, but I know more than likely down the road when I do a front axle swap I am gonna go 37s which makes me think 4.88.
That’s what most have said to me. is your jeep an automatic? I’ve also heard you can get away with lower gearing on the auto. I’m doing the manual and definitely need the regear.
I’ll come back when I get it back and let you know. But I am VERY excited for it!

Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
That’s what most have said to me. is your jeep an automatic? I’ve also heard you can get away with lower gearing on the auto. I’m doing the manual and definitely need the regear.
I’ll come back when I get it back and let you know. But I am VERY excited for it!
Manual! 33x12.50 17 are horrible where I live with 3.45 gearing, mainly highway which I drive a lot of. Too many hills and if it aint the hills its the very windy days we have. 6th is none existent and sometimes I need to drop to 4th for an incline on the highway lol.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

Regear- $1600

If you get lockers and gears at the same time, the labor wouldn’t be that high.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yeah...you could prob save $300 doing lockers at the same time. You still have to add a compressor, run the lines and add switches. Swapping to rubi d44s makes alot more sense running locked 37s.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Manual! 33x12.50 17 are horrible where I live with 3.45 gearing, mainly highway which I drive a lot of. Too many hills and if it aint the hills its the very windy days we have. 6th is none existent and sometimes I need to drop to 4th for an incline on the highway lol.
Exactly! Try it on 35’s!! It’s been a challenge!! I’m so excited for the regear!!

I decided to get lockers at the same time. The stimulus check arrived just in time! I am trussing my axle as I can’t afford the upgraded axle... but at least trussed I’ll feel a bit more confident in it!!

thanks! I’m gonna miss my Jeep next week but excited to get it all done and back on the trail (after the break in period)

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual, 3.6. 30 front and 44 rear.

Running 4.56 gears on 315/70r17s.

It’s perfect as is. I did the gears with 2000km on the Jeep so it was cheaper without the rebuild kits etc.

My plan, next is a OX locker for the rear when it’s available. Stay on 35s for a bit longer and get a UD44 front eventually then go to 37s.

My 30 is a polished turd, I have the Artec truss/gussets and spicer diff cover. Might run 37s on it and see how it does before the UD44

Sponsored

OP
OP
joshrude

joshrude

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Lets see it!
Any lockers?
No lockers yet... Debating if front lockers are worth it when in I am going to get a ProRock 44 a few years down the line. Rear lockers eventually.

OP
OP
joshrude

joshrude

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
How do you like the 4.88 gears?
It is like night and day compared to the 3.45's (obviously). I can actually use all 6 of my gears now. It feels peppy again.
Sponsored