Sponsored

Re-gearing to 5.13 gear - should i just get the ring and pinion or ill need the whole kit?

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sports S Unlimited 4 door (3.6L 8 Speed)
hello, i am running stock on my 2018 JL Sports S (non-rubicon) and i am trying to find the current gear i have on my JL and i cannot find it, i heard that Sahara and Sports model have gear ratio of 2.75 something, and should not go over 33's. i am currently trying to get my tires to go bigger than 35's maybe going for 37's or 38's, i know ill have to re-gear, (some people don't)

my question is (i am going for 5.13 gear) should i just get the ring and pinion or ill need to order the whole kit? i have heard some just replace the ring and pinion and change their ball joint, but i am not sure how effective that will be with the 37's, am asking for experience non-biased opinion, i don't go off-road a lot, only on the weekend and its not a serious off-roading, more of a trail/mudding off-roading, no rock crawling, (yet). its a daily driven jeep.
Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Master Install Kit - it has the extra pinion shim needed for the install.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yes you will need to also buy a master install kit for 1 front and 1 rear axle, so 2 total in addition to the 2 ring and pinion sets for 1 front axle and 1 rear axle. The master install kits come with new pinion bearings, pinion nuts, crush sleeve, seals, ring gear bolts, shims etc. You absolutely need these parts when regearing to a different ratio.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
hello, i am running stock on my 2018 JL Sports S (non-rubicon) and i am trying to find the current gear i have on my JL and i cannot find it, i heard that Sahara and Sports model have gear ratio of 2.75 something, and should not go over 33's. i am currently trying to get my tires to go bigger than 35's maybe going for 37's or 38's, i know ill have to re-gear, (some people don't)

my question is (i am going for 5.13 gear) should i just get the ring and pinion or ill need to order the whole kit? i have heard some just replace the ring and pinion and change their ball joint, but i am not sure how effective that will be with the 37's, am asking for experience non-biased opinion, i don't go off-road a lot, only on the weekend and its not a serious off-roading, more of a trail/mudding off-roading, no rock crawling, (yet). its a daily driven jeep.
3.45 is the sport rear end. i have the 33s on mine, same tires the rubicon comes with and its not horrible in flat land. I do plan to go to 35s and will most likely regear as i live in Va and its hilly.
Sponsored