Sponsored

2020 JLU Willys 3.6 stock - what exactly do I have? Gearing, Shocks, etc?

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2020 JLU Willys with the 3.6 Pentastar.

While it's easy to find out about the cosmetic differences, the tires, etc, I've been confused what, if anything is different about the shocks/suspension and axle gearing. When compared to a stock JLU Sport, what is really different?

Rumors I've heard.

Gearing is the same - 3.45
Gearing is different - 3.73
I know the rear diff is limited-slip.

Upgraded Rubi shocks, or
Standard shocks, just painted red.

Any axle differences?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
These details are not in the order guide. Post your VIN and I will see if I can confirm from the build sheet.

But this is my understanding:

Gearing is 3.45. You have Rubi shocks, but not Rubi springs. You have the M220 rear axle which is the dana 44. You have HD brakes

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And you have the Willys or the Willys Sport? The Willys is an upgrade of the Sport S and the Willys Sport is an upgrade of the Sport.

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
And you have the Willys or the Willys Sport? The Willys is an upgrade of the Sport S and the Willys Sport is an upgrade of the Sport.
It’s a Willys. Not the Willys Sport.

Sponsored

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Congrats on your new Willy's. They are amazing and you will love it!!

This is what you get;

1. As others have stated the gearing is 3.45 (I wish they had the 3.73, but this is way better than the JK 3.21).

2. Heavy Duty Breaks (same as Rubicon).

3. Premium Shocks (Same red shocks as Rubicon, I believe they are made by Fox). ***

4. Limited Slip Rear end with M220 Axle

***Although you have the same shocks as Rubicon, your springs are the same as Sport. This is not a bad thing, they match up really nice and make for a very smooth ride when mated together. I've been really impressed and this is coming from a guy who travels rough roads on a weekly basis.

Hope this answered your question.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on your new Willy's. They are amazing and you will love it!!

This is what you get;

1. As others have stated the gearing is 3.45 (I wish they had the 3.73, but this is way better than the JK 3.21).

2. Heavy Duty Breaks (same as Rubicon).

3. Premium Shocks (Same red shocks as Rubicon, I believe they are made by Fox). ***

4. Limited Slip Rear end with M220 Axle

***Although you have the same shocks as Rubicon, your springs are the same as Sport. This is not a bad thing, they match up really nice and make for a very smooth ride when mated together. I've been really impressed and this is coming from a guy who travels rough roads on a weekly basis.

Hope this answered your question.
The heavy duty brakes are a VERY nice upgrade!

The standard Rubi shocks are made by Tennico, which is the parent compay of Rancho. They are very, very good. Rancho reps told me they are excellent shocks. They are basically the same design that came with the JK Rubi. Mine were taken off my JK at about 100k and were still good. I replaced them with Ranchos because they gave them to me and installed them for free, but I wish I'd kept the originals. They rode better on and off-road.

Enjoy that Willys! It will amaze you off-road, and look great doing it!

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
So I noticed on the build sheet it says GPS Antenna Input, but the 7" Screens don't have GPS? Little confused about that so if anyone has any input that would be cool to know. I'm still trying to learn all of this myself as my Willys is my first Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I noticed on the build sheet it says GPS Antenna Input, but the 7" Screens don't have GPS? Little confused about that so if anyone has any input that would be cool to know. I'm still trying to learn all of this myself as my Willys is my first Jeep.
It is probably in there but may not be connected to any user accessible feature. But I´m only guessing.

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
It is probably in there but may not be connected to any user accessible feature. But I´m only guessing.
actually thinking about it now that makes sense, don't know why I didn't think about that before posting that lol.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Is there a public-facing landing page for this, or do you just put the VIN into the URL manually?
There are various "lookup" sites with the same info. Many people on here just add their VIN to the URL and go to it directly. You can google for jeep vin lookup and find all sorts of sites but beware that many are just spam and virus riddled.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I was curious about this too; it looks like carplay/android auto can use the head unit gps antenna, but it's not required, and maybe only a fallback.
Sponsored