Sponsored

What does Stellantis mean for Jeep going forward?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think the market for ICE Jeeps will last at least 15-20 years.
I think that estimate is... overly optimistic (if you like ICE vehicles, which I do for the most part). But that's just me. I give new ICE vehicle sales another 10 years, max.

When Tesla was doing their thing and the only other household EV names were Prius, Leaf, whatever, I just wrote it off as something that would take another generation to catch on, easily. But stuff's really changing. Every brand has hybrids now, and the Ford Mach-E really opened my eyes (and probably a lot of people's, too).

For me, there's just been a palpable shift in the last few months even. It seems like we're really picking up speed (ha).
Sponsored

OP
OP
rikity

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I think that estimate is... overly optimistic (if you like ICE vehicles, which I do for the most part). But that's just me. I give new ICE vehicle sales another 10 years, max.

When Tesla was doing their thing and the only other household EV names were Prius, Leaf, whatever, I just wrote it off as something that would take another generation to catch on, easily. But stuff's really changing. Every brand has hybrids now, and the Ford Mach-E really opened my eyes (and probably a lot of people's, too).

For me, there's just been a palpable shift in the last few months even. It seems like we're really picking up speed (ha).

The dealer I work for is also Ford, I drove the mach-e that we got last week and previously I drove a Tesla Model 3 we had. I tried the Unbridled mode which is supposed to unlock power and frankly I wasnt impressed. Ford also has nowhere near the tech that Tesla puts in their cars as far as automation goes.

The Mach-e definitely has an updated lane keeping than they've previously put on their other vehicles, it will center in a lane as opposed to bounce off of painted lines. The Tesla Model 3 had a heck of a lot more acceleration compared. Even though it didnt have the auto pilot option, it still had the most advanced system that I've ever driven. Teslas driving automation is more advanced than any other car i've driven, its impressive. The cars themselves though seem quite plain to me though

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The dealer I work for is also Ford, I drove the mach-e that we got last week and previously I drove a Tesla Model 3 we had. I tried the Unbridled mode which is supposed to unlock power and frankly I wasnt impressed. Ford also has nowhere near the tech that Tesla puts in their cars as far as automation goes.

The Mach-e definitely has an updated lane keeping than they've previously put on their other vehicles, it will center in a lane as opposed to bounce off of painted lines. The Tesla Model 3 had a heck of a lot more acceleration compared. Even though it didnt have the auto pilot option, it still had the most advanced system that I've ever driven. Teslas driving automation is more advanced than any other car i've driven, its impressive. The cars themselves though seem quite plain to me though
That's cool and all, but I'm just talking about EVs being viable modes of transportation beyond one brand (Tesla). That's all. I'm not talking styling or horsepower or... lane keeping? or whatever else you're talking about in this comment. My point is that the EVs are coming. It's not just Tesla and Prius anymore.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
That's cool and all, but I'm just talking about EVs being viable modes of transportation beyond one brand (Tesla). That's all. I'm not talking styling or horsepower or... lane keeping? or whatever else you're talking about in this comment. My point is that the EVs are coming. It's not just Tesla and Prius anymore.
They are coming. Somebody better come up with a better product than Tesla before I buy one. I like the VW ID.4 right now. Elon Musk can keep all of his autopilot and self driving features. I'm a dinosaur though as I like rowing through gears.

I worry that electric cars are going to be like these new energy efficient home air conditioners. Try replacing an ECM blower motor on a home HVAC. They are a fortune if you can find someone to sell it to you. The blower motor on a conventional A/C uses very little energy, but in order to get the SEER down they replace the A/C induction motor with multiple speed DC motors. What would cost $120 from a supply house is now $850, IF you can find someone to sell it to you. Since A/C suppliers don't sell to the homeowner it basically costs you $1400 to have someone come out and do less than an hour worth of work to replace it. Call up Tesla and ask what the list price is for one of their motors. Good luck! In order to shut out third party suppliers, all they have to do is encrypt their data stream between the computer and the motor and you are at their mercy.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Musk is the real deal as a technologist and transformative business leader but he is also a lying megalomaniac. He should have been prosecuted by the SEC. I would never purchase a product from one of his companies. Disappointed to see some of my federal tax money going to SpaceX.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Musk is the real deal as a technologist and transformative business leader but he is also a lying megalomaniac. He should have been prosecuted by the SEC. I would ever purchase a product from one of his companies. Disappointed to see some of my federal tax money going to SpaceX.
Tesla is a stock that sells cars, as opposed to a company who sells cars that issues stock. Keeping on-topic Stellantis (Chrysler, FCA, American Motors, whomever it is this week) is a car company. Tesla doesn't even make any money selling cars. They make money off of regulatory credits that they sell to FCA, GM, Honda and Toyota. Tesla was at one point was worth more than the entire car industry combined, and "analysts" are looking at a $1T market cap for a small player in a low margin business.

The Jeep brand has been around in some form for 80 years, and it is based on something that the high-tech California crowd can't wrap their minds around. I'm a software engineer by profession, but I still wrench my own car and sleep on the ground in a tent for a vacation.

Going off-topic, SpaceX isn't that great. They sent 2 people into LEO after the US manned spaceflight program was grounded for over a decade. Russia does that on a regular basis, and the US has done it for 60 years. When the crew dragon docked with the ISS, I felt like it was a non-event. I mean, really? Our 1970's pedigree space shuttle did the same thing, launched and serviced the Hubble Telescope in-orbit.

I do think the EV has a niche in our current landscape as does the Jeep Wrangler.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The biggest concern is that each transaction takes Jeep away from its roots. Stellantis sees Jeep as a business and not as a passion thing. So, they will try to maximize profits through Jeep and Ram.

The best thing to keep them interested in improving the Wrangler is to see the vast majority of those who put deposits on Broncos take delivery. That would mean that the Bronco could approach the Wrangler’s unit total in its first year ... that will scare the board at Stellantis to keep Jeep competitive.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Jeep is Chrysler's strongest brand. largely due to Wrangler sales im sure. that doesnt go unnoticed.
The Ram is FCAs top selling vehicle in the US and globally (#3 overall US, #6 overall globally).

The next ranking FCA vehicles sales in the US are the Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Cherokee. In that order. The combined sales of all 3 models in the US still don't match the RAM sales.

On the global sales market, the RAM is the only FCA product in the top 10.

I agree that Jeep is FCAs strongest brand, but the Wrangler isn't their even their #1 seller. It's important, but it's not #1. It's also about to have a very real, very direct competitor.
If the Bronco can take even 35% of the Wrangler's market share, that can theoretically push the Wrangler into the #3 slot in the Jeep family. If the Bronco Sport cuts 35% into the Cherokee sales as well, that could theoretically hit Jeep hard enough to make RAM the most valuable brand. As far as units sold. Profits may differ.

I don't think the Wrangler is going anywhere. It's the identity of the whole brand. And they wouldn't be putting out all these variations if it wasn't important. But it's does have some pressure on the horizon.

Sources:
www.caranddriver.com/news/gmp32006077/best-selling-cars-2020/
https://bestsellingcarsblog.com/202...-2020-discover-the-top-800-best-selling-cars/
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/jeep-us-sales-figures/

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Old news, Stellantis has been a thing for awhile now, Jan 4th I believe was the change over. That's like 4 years ago in internet years.

If you look at former Chrysler, and now former FCA, Jeep is by far the best brand. I would argue that is true world wide, but certainly it's true in the US and in China. Ferrari would have given Jeep a run for its money but that was spun off some time ago. Just look at the pic you posted, nothing carries the weight that Jeep does. So I think it's safe to say that Jeep will continue to be Jeep for a long time to come. But what about the Wrangler? Well it seems silly to say it, but the Wrangler is Jeep's halo car. The Wrangler is to Jeep as the Corvette is to Chevrolet. Yes there may be some changes along the way, even some radical ones (liking making it a four door), but overall the updates are measured and when given some time all fans eventually admit the changes were good and necessary.

EDIT: I'll go on to say that I think the biggest change that may come to the Wrangler next will be dropping the 2 door. Apparently TFL reported that Jeep will have electric options in all vehicles in the next year or two (I didn't see that a buddy of mine just said he saw it). So if that's true either Jeep has changed their mind about offering the 4xe in the 2 door, or the 2 door is on the chopping block. I love my 2 door, I will cry if they do kill it. But I honestly am kind of surprised it still exists.
If they stop making the 2-door, I will be hanging on to my current JL forever. I have a 4-door JK as a family station wagon. My 2-door is my toy, my daily driver and my mistress, all rolled up into one.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
EVs are definitely coming but Jeep will likely be one of the last holdouts. After all, they're made for going everywhere the electrical grid isn't. I can definitely see reducing the ICE to a maximum efficiency purpose built generator. But unless a really good battery development happens, it will be very difficult for a battery to compete with the energy you can store in a strapped-on 5 gal Jerry Can. So I don't see Jeep losing an ICE for quite some time even though it will likely not be the primary power source.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Ram is FCAs top selling vehicle in the US and globally (#3 overall US, #6 overall globally).

The next ranking FCA vehicles sales in the US are the Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Cherokee. In that order. The combined sales of all 3 models in the US still don't match the RAM sales.

On the global sales market, the RAM is the only FCA product in the top 10.

I agree that Jeep is FCAs strongest brand, but the Wrangler isn't their even their #1 seller. It's important, but it's not #1. It's also about to have a very real, very direct competitor.
If the Bronco can take even 35% of the Wrangler's market share, that can theoretically push the Wrangler into the #3 slot in the Jeep family. If the Bronco Sport cuts 35% into the Cherokee sales as well, that could theoretically hit Jeep hard enough to make RAM the most valuable brand. As far as units sold. Profits may differ.

I don't think the Wrangler is going anywhere. It's the identity of the whole brand. And they wouldn't be putting out all these variations if it wasn't important. But it's does have some pressure on the horizon.

Sources:
www.caranddriver.com/news/gmp32006077/best-selling-cars-2020/
https://bestsellingcarsblog.com/202...-2020-discover-the-top-800-best-selling-cars/
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/jeep-us-sales-figures/
It is true that Ram is FCA’s biggest selling vehicle.

But don’t forget Rams normally sell for 15% to 20%+ off MSRP; Wranglers don’t need much discounting to sell. So, in terms of profits, Wrangler has to come close to Ram.

All of this is likely to change, though, once Ford Bronco, GMC Hummer, and an all-new 4Runner, hit showrooms over the next 24 months.

We shall see.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
April Fool.