Sponsored

What does Stellantis mean for Jeep going forward?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
We will see. Oil demand has been softening faster than economist had predicted. That will keep a lid on gasoline prices.
Gas cost, yes, but prices can be adjusted by carbon taxes. People seem to forget the 50 cents a gallon tax Obama added to diesel.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Gas cost, yes, but prices can be adjusted by carbon taxes. People seem to forget the 50 cents a gallon tax Obama added to diesel.
True. But at the end of the day, governments need taxes. As demand for oil and ICE dwindles, they will need to tax EVs somehow.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
So.... What do we do with all of this extra gasoline? If cars are going electric, the world still needs petrochemicals (i.e. plastics, propane, and all stuff non-gasoline). When distilling a barrel of oil, a certain fraction will always be gasoline. They used to just pour it into a river until the automobile came along. Market forces being what they may, gasoline should get dirt cheap. Somehow I figure that the Govt. won't let that happen though. It'll be like cigarettes; dirt cheap to make and expensive to buy.

OP
OP
rikity

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I, for one, may have bought my last ICE vehicles.

I am not planning to buy another vehicle until I can determine in what direction the market is headed. Working from home has significantly changed my driving habits. My 2018 JL has barely 6,500 miles. My next Wrangler might be a PHEV or EV. Who knows.

Exciting times!
My wife is now working from home and I drive demos from work. I bought my 18 wrangler with 5500 miles on it and put 2000 on it since December when I got it, all of them personal enjoyment miles. My wifes Kia Soul sees very little use outside of trips to the grocery. I'm questioning why we even have 2 vehicles at this point, the Kia of course would be the one to go.

As far as electric vehicles go, I owned a fusion hybrid for a year and liked it and the fuel economy it provided. I'm not against a 4xe Rubicon in the future if and when they figure out a better battery that would either be the same size with 3x capacity. 20 miles on electric could be handy, but I'd like to have a longer range on battery only. I definitely would not go electric only if i could at all help it though

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
That's a really dumb thing to say, especially in America. Like you're somehow OK with the govt outlawing the ICE. From my cold dead hands MFer.
gotta be realistic, if the rest of the world phases out ICE vehicles it will mean prices for ICE vehicles will rise in the those countries that are lagging in the transition to other types of propulsion (electric, hydrogen). It’s not a matter of politics, simple economics. Car companies have very small profit margins and without the economies of global scale, even a large market like the USA will not be big enough to fully absorb the cost of being one of the last island of ICE vehicles, along with most likely the poorest countries where used ICE vehicles from rich countries will end up on the secondary market.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If Jeep survived Fiat, it will survive PSA.

</snipped some very salient points>

In an industry plagued by overpaid executives, in my mind Mr Tavares is one of the few CEOs who earns every dollar he makes.
Tavares is also a car guy who works one old vehicles at his home garage on weekends. If I were president of Jeep I’d ship a used Jeep and a crate full of aftermarket parts to the Tavares home and email a bunch of links to YouTube videos of the most ardent Jeep modders.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gotta be realistic, if the rest of the world phases out ICE vehicles it will mean prices for ICE vehicles will rise in the those countries that are lagging in the transition to other types of propulsion (electric, hydrogen). It’s not a matter of politics, simple economics. Car companies have very small profit margins and without the economies of global scale, even a large market like the USA will not be big enough to fully absorb the cost of being one of the last island of ICE vehicles, along with most likely the poorest countries where used ICE vehicles from rich countries will end up on the secondary market.
They still haven't solved many of the problems with electric vehicles yet. Say I want to go on a camping trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. I fill my vehicle up with gasoline at home, stop in South Carolina and fill my vehicle up with gasoline again which takes under 10 minutes. There isn't much off of the interstate that I want to see outside Columbia, SC to spend 2 - 3 hours waiting for my EV to charge. I agree that for a commuter car, EVs are a great solution but try taking one across country.

I think the market for ICE Jeeps will last at least 15-20 years.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They still haven't solved many of the problems with electric vehicles yet. Say I want to go on a camping trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. I fill my vehicle up with gasoline at home, stop in South Carolina and fill my vehicle up with gasoline again which takes under 10 minutes. There isn't much off of the interstate that I want to see outside Columbia, SC to spend 2 - 3 hours waiting for my EV to charge. I agree that for a commuter car, EVs are a great solution but try taking one across country.

I love road tripping and have done the cross country road trip vacation twice. ICE vehicles won’t disappear overnight but I expect total cost of ownership for ICE will rise as other countries start phasing them out.

US is a large country so the demand for long range drivability will always be important. In most other countries it won’t be an issue.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
True. But at the end of the day, governments need taxes. As demand for oil and ICE dwindles, they will need to tax EVs somehow.
They’ll introduce the Lithium Tax

Then find some bullshit reason why it kills millions of children in Africa every year.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love road tripping and have done the cross country road trip vacation twice. ICE vehicles won’t disappear overnight but I expect total cost of ownership for ICE will rise as other countries start phasing them out.

US is a large country so the demand for long range drivability will always be important. In most other countries it won’t be an issue.
Not to mention the RVing industry. RVs are huge in the United States, start pulling a fifth wheel with a EV. Even a moderate sized travel trailer ~6Klbs would have to drain the battery of a "CyberTruck" pretty quickly. It would probably take you 24 hours to cover 800mi in a CyberTruck-esque vehicle. I DO think our next grocery getter will be an EV, but I want them to be a few generations into them before I buy one. If you want to know one of the few carmakers that rank below FCA in reliability, it is Tesla.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
That's a really dumb thing to say, especially in America. Like you're somehow OK with the govt outlawing the ICE. From my cold dead hands MFer.
Stupid yes, fact yes. CA has mandated ALL new cars being sold after 2035 must be EV.

OP
OP
rikity

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited

NIO in China does quick battery pack swaps on their cars, kind of a solution i guess but I totally agree that charging the car up while you wait isnt practical and batteries dont have enough range to make sense longer trips

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Obligatory picture of the "Wagon Queen Family Truckster". Everytime we go more than 400 miles as a family I feel like Clark Griswold.

Maybe Stellantis will get some design ideas from this classic. If you remember from the movie, it doesn't off-road very well. Clark should have regeared it and put it on 35's.

Jeep Wrangler JL What does Stellantis mean for Jeep going forward? 1617392177884

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

When you consider that Tesla has a supercharger station every 200 miles on very many major routes across the country east/west and north/south - and you can get 200 miles of range added back in ~20 minutes plugged into one of those with any Tesla made in the last 6 or so years, we're getting very close to the reality of EV fill ups being a solved issue. Now, you're screwed if you don't own a Tesla, and that's the next problem to solve: standardization. We aren't there yet.

Old man just ordered a 2022 Model S - dual motor, 465 miles of range. That's two full tanks of gas on my 2 door JLR, lol.
Sponsored