Sponsored

What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Highly, highly doubt they're going to do anything to the interior - we're in a much different place with FCA automotive design than we were in the JK days. Major new editions just rolled out (392, 4xe) sporting the same interior, and if you look at the Bronco interior in person Jeep is really ahead with fit and finish and materials *especially* in the factory leather equipped Wranglers (different dashboard, steering wheel, door card, center console materials in the factory leather version than the cloth or dealer leather JLs).

The most we're going to see on the interior is the massive new uConnect 5 display worked into the current dashboard. I just had a rental 2021 Chrysler Pacifica with the new system for work a few weeks ago and it's a massive improvement over the 8.4 uconnect4. I'd expect some comfort and convenience features as standard rather than options, but I don't think the JL is in as big of a need of a refresh as the previous generations were at the halfway mark. Probably standard front camera with the uconnect5 display and a 360 cam or some other tech goodies. No chance the exterior body design will change.

Of course, my pipe dream is a longer 2 door model like the LJ or the new Bronco 2-door (it's 10 inches longer than the 2dr JL and is similar to LJ wheelbase) - the trunk storage area is massive in the 2dr Bronco and the rear seats can individually lower or be removed unlike the straight all-or-nothing bench in the JL. They'd sell more 2 doors if they were more genuinely useful like Ford is doing with the LWB 2dr.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
UConnect 5 and a slew of off-road enhancements like true 360º cameras would be an easy guess.

Don't leave out that Jeep has added a slew of powertrains since release so to say they haven't been doing anything is just being dishonest.
True. Not only has Jeep added EcoDiesel, 4Xe and 392, it made Nacho appear —and disappear— twice...! 😫

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Highly, highly doubt they're going to do anything to the interior - we're in a much different place with FCA automotive design than we were in the JK days. Major new editions just rolled out (392, 4xe) sporting the same interior, and if you look at the Bronco interior in person Jeep is really ahead with fit and finish and materials *especially* in the factory leather equipped Wranglers (different dashboard, steering wheel, door card, center console materials in the factory leather version than the cloth or dealer leather JLs).

The most we're going to see on the interior is the massive new uConnect 5 display worked into the current dashboard. I just had a rental 2021 Chrysler Pacifica with the new system for work a few weeks ago and it's a massive improvement over the 8.4 uconnect4. I'd expect some comfort and convenience features as standard rather than options, but I don't think the JL is in as big of a need of a refresh as the previous generations were at the halfway mark. Probably standard front camera with the uconnect5 display and a 360 cam or some other tech goodies. No chance the exterior body design will change.
Compass just got a MAJOR interior overhaul and upgrade for 2022 —see below. The new interior brings Compass inline with the all-new Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer.

The key common elements are:
  1. Much upgraded interior design and materials
  2. The new steering wheel
  3. Larger screens
  4. Greater use of “virtual” gauges
  5. UConnect 5
  6. 360 cameras
Jeep Wrangler JL What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of? 1629232072445

Jeep wants the entire brand to compete with Land Rover. The current JL interior, as good as it is, is not going to get them there.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Why would you assume a refresh after only three years? That's not typical of manufacturers to do after such a short time. Your data in your post shows an average of 9.75 years between refreshes and it's only been three since the last one.
Refreshes usually involve interiors, lights, wheels, styling cues, etc. Sometimes engine options as well but refreshes are usually to "freshen" up a model without completely overhauling it.
Many makes do a restyle every 4 years, so the OP was right to ask. But as you pointed out, Wrangler generations tend to have long lifespans.

Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I don't think you can look at previous generations to figure out a timeline for refreshes. With the Bronco now a legit (in some peoples eyes) alternative, Jeep might think they have to do a refresh earlier than normal and may also think they have to do more than a typical mid cycle refresh.
See I don't buy into that strictly because the Wranglers are currently selling like the world is ending. Sales generally determine when decisions like that are made in relation to recouping the R&D and tooling costs. Every year that they can extend a current configuration with booming sales is another profitable venture. The Wrangler is a stout seller and any shorter than normal refresh timeline is doubtful imo because theyre selling like crazy as is. I don't foresee a panic refresh to keep up with the Jones', Jeep IS the Jones'. Obviously just my opinion.
Also the Compass is in a completely different class than the Wrangler. Has almost nothing in common. It's a road commuter. The Wrangler is the anti-Compass. I don't think the interior is ever going to be like that tbh.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Looking at model year lengths of previous Wranglers

1987 - 1996 Jeep Wrangler (YJ 1st Generation) - 9 years
The final model year for the YJ was 1995. The inaugural TJ arrived for model year 1997. This is why you can have fun at Advance Auto, etc. when asking for parts for a 1996 Wrangler. Or a 1983 Corvette. ;)

Coincidentally, the use of inclusive counting means "9 years" remains accurate, even with 1995 as the corrected end date.

...my pipe dream is a longer 2 door model like the LJ or the new Bronco 2-door (it's 10 inches longer than the 2dr JL and is similar to LJ wheelbase) - the trunk storage area is massive in the 2dr Bronco and the rear seats can individually lower or be removed unlike the straight all-or-nothing bench in the JL.
My pipe dream would be a radical simplification of how these vehicles are marketed.

There'd be two models to pick from: Wrangler, and Rubicon. That's it.

The latter would retain its current uparmored mechanical trimmings, whereas the former would functionally be a Sport to which any and every option (sans the intentionally distinct Rubicon build) could be individually added, based on the buyer's preferences.

There wouldn't be any "packages", nor would we have to purchase a particular trim level simply to gain access to certain options (e.g., color-matched hardtop) that are currently withheld from other trim levels.

As extra credit, I'd like to have the ability to choose half doors and soft uppers, or full doors, at no extra cost irrespective of my choice. It wouldn't kill Stellantis to shrink the fob and give us ignition keys again, either. The world was not crying out for push button starting and the security shortcomings of proximity fobs.

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
The TJ had some minor changes like smaller hood cowl vent after ‘97, change from a 5 speed manual to a 6 speed in ‘05 I think, and the seat patterns changed over the years. They of course added the Rubicon and LJ in that timeframe as well. The JK did an interior overhaul in 2011 and went to the 3.6 engine in 2012. With all the options now on the JL, I wouldn’t expect major overhauls personally.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
2018 through 2022 is FIVE model years: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. There should be a mid-cycle refresh coming out late next year as 2023MY.

Based on what Jeep —and others— has been doing on recent launches, I’d count on the following changes:
  • Significantly upgraded interior materials, fit and finish
  • A larger screen, 10-12 inches, as an option
  • 360-degree vision cameras optional
  • Night vision optional
  • Offer the Mopar lift as a factory option; perhaps with 35-inch tires included
  • Heated and ventilated front seats; perhaps add heated seats to the rear
  • New wheels and paint colors
  • Apparently an EV variant is coming
Things I’d like to see:
  • Add a rear e-locker as a stand alone option across non-Rubicon models
  • Offer power driver seat as an option
Jeep offers your fifth line item now. Recon extreme on the rubicon

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Why would you assume a refresh after only three years? That's not typical of manufacturers to do after such a short time. Your data in your post shows an average of 9.75 years between refreshes and it's only been three since the last one.
Refreshes usually involve interiors, lights, wheels, styling cues, etc. Sometimes engine options as well but refreshes are usually to "freshen" up a model without completely overhauling it.
Now if everyone would just quit buying the dang Wranglers maybe we can move up their timetable! :LOL:.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
2. Manual Transmission available as an option for the Turbo 4 and the EcoDiesel.
I'd love to see this on the EcoDiesel, but doubt they will offer it. Seems like they're only holding on to the 6MT for the declining market that it attracts. I would be surprised if we see the 6MT much past 2023. I made sure to get my 6MT this year because they are harder to come by every year.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
See I don't buy into that strictly because the Wranglers are currently selling like the world is ending. Sales generally determine when decisions like that are made in relation to recouping the R&D and tooling costs. Every year they can extend a current configuration with booming sales is another profitable venture. The Wrangler is a stout seller and any shorter than normal refresh timeline is doubtful imo because theyre selling like crazy as is. I don't foresee a panic refresh to keep up with the Jones', Jeep IS the Jones'. Obviously just my opinion.
Also the Compass is in a completely different class than the Wrangler. Has almost nothing in common. It's a road commuter. The Wrangler is the anti-Compass. I don't think the interior is ever going to be like that tbh.
yeah you can attribute some of this to why the new grand theft auto game will never come out any time soon... its spanned like 3 or 4 console generations yet it still makes boatloads of money for the developers.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Gosh, just look at all these comments! And, all this time, I was thinking a typical Wrangler "refresh" consisted of slightly cooler than air temperature beer.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
See I don't buy into that strictly because the Wranglers are currently selling like the world is ending. Sales generally determine when decisions like that are made in relation to recouping the R&D and tooling costs. Every year they can extend a current configuration with booming sales is another profitable venture. The Wrangler is a stout seller and any shorter than normal refresh timeline is doubtful imo because theyre selling like crazy as is. I don't foresee a panic refresh to keep up with the Jones', Jeep IS the Jones'. Obviously just my opinion.
I hope you're right. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I know the JK got an engine update (3.8L -> 3.6L) and an interior overhaul. I don't remember which happened first.

I'd guess something similar for JL, but not for a little bit longer. All the effort they've put in for the 392, 4xe, etc. makes me think they're probably not going to invest in cosmetics beyond paint color changes and "special editions".
Interior 2011 and engine 2012.
Sponsored