MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. In fact, the 48V battery will mask a failing 12V battery (the start-stop will not stop, says something like "system not ready").

Also my 2018's 48V battery is still working and still under the 8-year warranty. Hopefully it fails soon so I can get another 7 years... or hopefully it makes it to 10-plus years on the original.
Same, I don't see trends or posts of 48v battery problems. It's a good system that just works and takes the load off the main battery for running lots of electronics. I got the e-torque in both my JLs. Love the extra 90ftlb of the line and the brake assist. The brake pads seem to be lasting longer... its comes with a great warranty from factory plus I added factory wrap to 100K or 10 years. So maybe I should hope to replace it prior to 2028 or 2029... 🤔🤫🤐🫢
Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Thanks, AnnDee. I have ESS disabled via the Auto Stop/Start device and my shop routinely bench tests the 12v battery at least once per year.
if you have eTorque the start stop function is much less obtrusive than the ESS via the smaller battery and starter motor.

I have eTorque and I don't even really notice it any more. On our other car with the traditional 12v battery/starter motor ESS I have it disabled.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Yup, and the 12v battery and starter will still suffer the abuse of auto start stop.
Actually, no it won't. The Start/Stop engine restarting is done by the 48V BSG (belt starter/generator), not the 12V starter.

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
if you have eTorque the start stop function is much less obtrusive than the ESS via the smaller battery and starter motor.

I have eTorque and I don't even really notice it any more. On our other car with the traditional 12v battery/starter motor ESS I have it disabled.
Appreciate your response but I disabled ESS cuz it drives me crazy. I don't understand why ESS is even a thing.

Sponsored

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Yeah, well my inititial response to that is unprintable. Wonder how many owners bought a Jeep for the fuel economy?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yeah, well my inititial response to that is unprintable. Wonder how many owners bought a Jeep for the fuel economy?
Fuel economy is brought up on this forum more than any other forum I visit, by a factor of about ten. Range is important but Jeeps get shitty mileage, and people generally don't want to fuck it up with modifications.

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Fuel economy is brought up on this forum more than any other forum I visit, by a factor of about ten. Range is important but Jeeps get shitty mileage, and people generally don't want to fuck it up with modifications.
Yup, range IS important but, for us but not paramount. I consider the Auto Start/Stop device to be a convenience. As you say the Jeep MPG is, well, not good. The Auto S/S device certainly doesn't make it better but neither does it make it significantly worse. I track our has our gas purchases and our JL is getting ~ 16-mpg.

Until very recently we traveled and vacationed in a 39' Class A motor home (gas) behind which we towed our '10 Jeep Liberty and before that our '03 TJ Wrangler. With the Liberty in tow we were somewhere around 55' long and weighed a bit shy of 13-tons. On a really good travel day we'd get maybe 6-mpg. But MPG was not a considerafion when we bought this MH (our third since 1986). We would spend upwards of 6-mos per year in the MH so our first priorty was livibility. But with a 75-gallon fuel tank we had decent range.

Same with our Jeeps. We love Jeeps. Our '03 TJ was a blast. Grandpa had a '46 CJ2A (which I now have) with which we would run errands for grandma and tow fhe boat to the lake to go fishing most nights. They're just fun to drive amd that was our primary motivation when buying the JL. MPG was the last thing on my mind. Our Jeeps, even the '46, get better MPG than the motor home did and that's a nice side benefit but enjoyment trumps everything.

I'm relatively new to this forum. We tend to keep our vehicles for many years so the technological jump from our '10 Liberty and especially our '03 TJ was enormous. Our JL is far more sophisticated then any other vehicle we've ever owned and I truly appreciate the help and information provided by you and other members.
Sponsored