Sponsored

What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That ship sailed a long time ago.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
I just hope they don't move to a Ram-style electronic transmission/4WD shifter knob in an effort to refresh the center console area.
It's already an electronic transmission, the gear lever isn't actually doing anything physical to the ZF 8 speed. To be honest, as much of PITA my 19 JLUR Rubicon was to get in (and stay in) and out of 4Lo... I'd almost be OK with it going electronic...

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I just hope they don't move to a Ram-style electronic transmission/4WD shifter knob in an effort to refresh the center console area.
As mentioned, the gear selector for the 850RE (and I'd guess the uparmored version paired with the diesel) is already an electronic switch, with no mechanical connection between it and the transmission itself.

FWIW, I'd wager that if just one vehicle would retain the original analog transfer case shift lever, it would be the Jeep Wrangler. I've long since given up on light trucks retaining legacy design details.

I personally think my Sport cloth seats are very comfortable.

IMO the only thing I'd change is adding an adjustable headrest. It tilts too far forward for my wife when she has a ponytail in.
That's probably not going to happen. The ever-creeping forward angle of automotive headrests is a function of Federal standards regarding occupant protection (i.e., limiting injurious head movement) during rear-end impacts.

E.g., the angle of the headrests in my wife's 2019 CR-V is actually a bit worse than the Wrangler, to the point that there's only mild relief with the Honda's headrests in the fully lowered position.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Another feature that has been appearing in Jeeps and will likely make it into JL is the digital rearview mirror, which uses the rear camera to project the digital image into the rearview mirror.

So, for instance, if you have the soft top folded down blocking your view behind, this feature would still allow you to see.

Jeep Wrangler JL What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of? 1629441121412

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Another feature that has been appearing in Jeeps and will likely make it into JL is the digital rearview mirror, which uses the rear camera to project the digital image into the rearview mirror.

So, for instance, if you have the soft top folded down blocking your view behind, this feature would still allow you to see.

1629441121412.jpeg
i have a dual dash cam that does this waiting to be installed. I had it on my 2018.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Jeep Wrangler JL What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of? 1629441121412
Cue the aftermarket to sell a plug-and-play rear view mirror to get around such needless complexity.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I much prefer buttons to screens, especially for something that I plan to keep for 10+ years.

How many things with a screen do you know that last more than 3-4 years?
I, too, like buttons with my screen, but…
I have a 10 yo MacBook Pro, a six yo MBP, and a four yo iPhone that are all pristine. I also air travel 24 weeks a year, so they aren’t babied either. Well built tech stands up to use. Having said that, I know we are talking about a Jeep…

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
The Jeep Wrangler needs to remain a spartan otherwise you should consider a Land Rover..
I think that ship has sailed, e.g. Cold climate package, safety group, advanced sg, 8.4” infotainment…
I have all those things in mine, and I am not complaining.
Even in a bare bones version of any vehicle these days there is nothing simplistic about it. They all have computers and sensors up the wazoo.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
i actually love the wranglers interior. wouldn't do a thing to it
I'd angle the driver's gauge pod upward a bit, and/or retract the lip of the dashboard. Doing so would make the top-most numerals of the [analog] gauges visible, especially for tall drivers.

I'd also adjust the nighttime illumination function so that it's not so dim even when at the upper limit of the adjustment wheel's travel.

As well as the execution of the JL was, I'm surprised that these two details were either missed, or worse yet, disregarded.

Last edited:

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I think that ship has sailed, e.g. Cold climate package, safety group, advanced sg, 8.4” infotainment…
I have all those things in mine, and I am not complaining.
Even in a bare bones version of any vehicle these days there is nothing simplistic about it. They all have computers and sensors up the wazoo.
I was told by the dealership my base Sport with nothing tech added has 20 computers.....
Sponsored