Sponsored

What does a typical Wrangler "refresh" consist of?

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Do you have wired Car Play? If so it's easy to buy a dongle and convert it to wireless. My Hellcat RedEye has wired Carplay and I added the dongle. Best thing ever.
Dongle?...Does that work with android auto?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Another feature that has been appearing in Jeeps and will likely make it into JL is the digital rearview mirror, which uses the rear camera to project the digital image into the rearview mirror.

So, for instance, if you have the soft top folded down blocking your view behind, this feature would still allow you to see.

1629441121412.jpeg
THIS is something I would love to have.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Dongle?...Does that work with android auto?
Carplay is Apple so I'm thinking no. Not sure what the equivalent would be for Android or if there even is something similar.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
THIS is something I would love to have.
Kenwood has a really nice radio that allows up to 4 cameras and also the option to leave the backup cam on while driving. I have it in my pickup and that thing is the cat's meow. Not the same as what youre talking about but still nice to have. Might be a good upgrade for someone who got the smaller entry level radio. Wireless Carplay, giant HD screen, upload option for HD pics so you can have a slideshow going if you want, all kinds of fun options. Basically like having a tablet, nice big touchscreen controls for the clumsy (me) too, very nicely done.

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Looking at model year lengths of previous Wranglers

1987 - 1996 Jeep Wrangler (YJ 1st Generation) - 9 years
1997 - 2006 Jeep Wrangler (TJ 2nd Generation) - 9 years
2007 - 2017 Jeep Wrangler (JK 3rd Generation) - 10 years
2018 - Present Jeep Wrangler (JL 4th Generation) - 3 years

Assuming the JL will be getting a "refresh" soon, for those that have followed Wranglers for awhile, what does "refresh" usually consist of?
Sorry if I am repeating but I think the Bronco will force a faster refresh period for the next Wrangler. I could see the front end being an independent suspension since many of the reviewers have ripped Jeep a new one because (wow, big surprise) it drives like a truck. I wouldn’t mind getting an electronic transfer case but I don’t need the wheel for “sand,” “snow,” “water,” etc. settings. The Bronco’s three piece hardtop might actually allow one person to take it off. It would also be wonderful if the back seats could fold down flat and the configuration of the rear hatch/window changed so it doesn’t rattle and leak dust.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Sorry if I am repeating but I think the Bronco will force a faster refresh period for the next Wrangler. I could see the front end being an independent suspension since many of the reviewers have ripped Jeep a new one because (wow, big surprise) it drives like a truck. I wouldn’t mind getting an electronic transfer case but I don’t need the wheel for “sand,” “snow,” “water,” etc. settings. The Bronco’s three piece hardtop might actually allow one person to take it off. It would also be wonderful if the back seats could fold down flat and the configuration of the rear hatch/window changed so it doesn’t rattle and leak dust.
You'll be hard pressed to see IFS on a Wrangler anytime soon. And electronic t-case, no thanks. You'll see them ditch the folding windshield before either of those I think.
A redesigned hard top would be nice. I'd like to see the side windows come off like the SOT.
I have never had a Wrangler that has a rattling\leaking window in the rear, nor have I seen a lot of people bitching about that, YMMV obviously.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...I think the Bronco will force a faster refresh period for the next Wrangler.

I could see the front end being an independent suspension since many of the reviewers have ripped Jeep a new one because (wow, big surprise) it drives like a truck.
The internet has lowered, if not eliminated, the barriers to entry as it concerns anyone being able to post a video or three and claim the identity of an "influencer" or "reviewer". And so we have more than a few "channels" with content that is frequently little more than slickly edited tripe. With that in mind, I wouldn't give as much credence to some of these folks as they might expect from us.

TL/DR:
Independent front suspension? Not if the owner/enthusiast community (the only opinion that really matter$) has anything to do with it. ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler has always been about function over looks. That’s why Jeep never felt the need to redesign Wrangler more than once every ten years. Bronco is the faddish alternative for those who value looks over function.

Sergio Marchionne wanted to move JL to IFS; a backlash from Wrangler owners made him back track. The day Wrangler goes to IFS, it will cease to have a reason to exist. For those who want an IFS, there are already hundreds of alternatives out there.

For all intents and purposes, Bronco’s modular hardtop is still only a concept that, so far, hasn’t really worked in the real world. It took Jeep 80 years to develop a top that didn't leak; I doubt they want to go back to having top problems.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
NO TRANSMISSION DIALS!!!
These genies tend to not go back into the bottle, unfortunately.

Yes, transmission dials do seem like just another answer to a question not asked.

I can't complain too loudly, though. As much as I admire the performance of the 850RE in my JLU, it has the same shift-by-wire functionality as does a transmission dial. Same church, different pew.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Wrangler has always been about function over looks. That’s why Jeep never felt the need to redesign Wrangler more than once every ten years. Bronco is the faddish alternative for those who value looks over function.

Sergio Marchionne wanted to move JL to IFS; a backlash from Wrangler owners made him back track. The day Wrangler goes to IFS, it will cease to have a reason to exist. For those who want an IFS, there are already hundreds of alternatives out there.

For all intents and purposes, Bronco’s modular hardtop is still only a concept that, so far, hasn’t really worked in the real world. It took Jeep 80 years to develop a top that didn't leak; I doubt they want to go back to having top problems.
You have gotten many good answers. My big picture view is that the product cycle will be shorter and there will be many changes next time, although I doubt anything radical since 80 years of evolution has resulted in a fine product.

But the Bronco has thrown out a lot of things to be considered. I like that the 4 door hardtop is in 5 pieces (although I’ve heard it leaks). I like that I can switch to 4L electronically although I don’t need a dial for rocks, water, sand, moon dust, etc.

I would never buy a Bronco if only for quality purposes. But Ford spent a long time thinking about offroading and Jeep shouldn’t be all prideful and not look at potential improvements. (I don’t consider IFS to be an improvement even with my wife yelling when I’m wandering all over the road at freeway speed).

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Typical refresh of any vehicle is pretty standard for me. E.g., I pick up my new Jeep, and they announce a refresh is coming out.
Sponsored