Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
The mopar lift longer lower control arms cleaned up the tracking on my 2 door after I added rubicon springs. 2” lift.
It sucks to need to change parts on a brand new jeep but it needs it.
Sponsored

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
My 2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel is in service for a week for this exact issue, took me 3 months of constant nagging and complaining to 2 dealerships, NSTSA, FCA, @JeepCares, every social media jeep related, 1-star review every time they said is a "Jeep Thing". Unacceptable for a $66k car. Hopefully, they will address this time.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Hi All,

Yes, groan, another steering question, and for my first post too.... suppose i should go post on the Welcome thread first.

Anyway, it was my wife's dream from when she first learned to drive to own a Jeep, and now finally some 30 years later we've got the opportunity! Picked up a 20 Sahara Altitude a little over a week ago, Sting Grey with Sky Touch. It is a thing of beauty. Found it on a dealer lot about 2 hours away, it had just came off the truck, build date of 7/20, had 5 miles on it!

We take it for a quick test drive, all seems well, we sign the papers and we are off, heading back home. I'm in my Ram 1500, she's following in the Jeep. After stopping for dinner, she says that the drive was frankly terrifying. She felt like she was all over the road and had no control. We were driving back from Baltimore area, through lots of road construction and traffic. It was an unfamiliar area, with an unfamiliar car, so we chalked it up to that.

I drove the remainder of the way home and it really wasn't a fun experience. I don't think it was terrifying, but really wasn't all that enjoyable.

I checked the tire pressures when we got home and realized that yes, as a lot of others reported, they were way too high. Over 50, actually. Lowered to 38, per door panel, and eventually down to about 35.

The Jeep drives better now, but it still wants to wander, and the question is how much is normal for a solid axle, and how much would be considered a defect. My wife indicates that the way home from work is far worse than the way to work. Its been super hot here in the Philly area lately, in case that has anything to do with it.

But now I find myself obsessed with the steering, ready to swap out the track bar, install some magic stabilizing brace cause i saw a few youtube guys promote it (further reading on that Synergy brace makes me realize i do not want to go down that route) and do whatever else i need to make it acceptable to drive, when it occurs to me that I shouldn't have to do that for a brand new 50k vehicle.

So, what should normal steering on the JL feel like? I loathe taking a car to the dealer for them to tell me nothing is wrong, so if there is something wrong, how can i defend/prove my position? Never had a solid front axle before, and I currently drive a 2016 Ram. The Ram ride/steering is light-years better/different than the Jeep.

(sorry, long winded)

IMG_1455 2.jpg
My 2017 Ram 2500 4wd also handles like a M version BMW compared to me 2020 Jeep. In the truck I drive with 2 fingers and my left elbow at the window. In the Jeep it takes 2 hands on the wheel cause it gots the wiggles.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Longer caster arms, Synenergy brase and most of all adjusting steering box will greatly improve tracking and minimize steering imput.

Kathysue

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door JL Rubicon Bikini Pearl
Did you get your alignment checked? The Rubicons have the same lower control arms as the other Jeeps, but sit higher. That means they have a lower caster.

My Rubicons were both at 4.7* from the factory. My ‘19 had bad steering (wandered terribly, etc) and was helped by longer LCAs. I put adjustable LCAs on my ‘20 and got my caster to ~7* and love it.
Yes I did take it to the dealer and they checked alignment and made sure everything was tightened up the way it should be. They didn't want to change anything until I hit the 1000 mile mark. Once I hit 1000 miles I took it back and they got the ok to change the steering box. I thought I had the latest one but I guess I didn't. I traded in a 2013 2 door Sahara and never had any steering issues with that.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Yes I did take it to the dealer and they checked alignment and made sure everything was tightened up the way it should be. They didn't want to change anything until I hit the 1000 mile mark. Once I hit 1000 miles I took it back and they got the ok to change the steering box. I thought I had the latest one but I guess I didn't. I traded in a 2013 2 door Sahara and never had any steering issues with that.
How does it drive with the new steering box?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
hate to say it but you’re in for a battle. The dealer will fight you, FCA will start a mess of correspondence that will take you back to square one.
Adding track bars, stabilizers, braces before you decide to force the dealer to do any and all needed repairs will give them grounds to blame the issue on you messing with the front end. DONT do any modifications yourself.
Airing down, resetting the steering (AKA fuse trick) will not give you 100% results. FCA may do a steering damper and steering box replacement and then tell you it’s the way it’s intended to drive. It’s NOT !

Some are great, some suck. So, make them do everything to make it right, document every service appt, every call, the names and dates of who you speak to. Take videos, make the service mgr. drive with you.

i lived this nightmare and you can read my hundreds of posts on this forum. Bottom line is the took back my Sahara, repaid every cent including legal fees, interest paid, title fees etc. I found a 2020 Rubicon on the lot that drove about 70% perfect. I took their check and walked off the lot with a 2 year newer Jeep, Rubicon, no miles, unlimited warranty Drove their car for about a year for free.
Yes, it’s not perfect and I added the front parts to get it to about 90 % perfect.

Don’t let them tell you it’s a Jeep thing. it’s not.

Sponsored

damonic

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 Jeep Sport S and felt the steering was all over the place. In fact, when I was forced to slam on my breaks in freeway traffic, I thought I was going to hit a car in the another lane as it was all over the road. I took it in to have the suspension looked at and the guy wondered out loud if it had the steering recall work done (I had no clue...). When I picked it up it felt like a different vehicle. It handled SOOOO much better. They did not admit to performing any work but it is much easier to drive now - does not drift or require constant adjustments.

Kathysue

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door JL Rubicon Bikini Pearl
How does it drive with the new steering box?
Much better driving. It was wandering on the road and didn't correct the way it should. Lowering the tire pressure from 43 to 32 helped a lot but it still wasn't right so we took it back. Dealership wanted Jeep to have 1000 miles before they dug in and test drove it replacing the steering box. We had brought it before and they checked connections and alignment. Now tire pressure is back to 37 and it's definitely an improvement.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Drop your tire pressure. Jeeps aren't that heavy. I am running stock 285,70/17 33" and I am at 30 psi and thinking 28 psi. Do the flour test, throw some flour under the wheel and roll through it, you will be surprised what you learn. I know it sounds way low tech but it gives you a pretty good idea where you may need to be higher/lower. A guy told me that and I thought Uh uh BS. Jeeps have always been a little steering squirrely. But not that bad....
Sponsored