Water streaming into cabin when opening door

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
What would be the problem if I siliconed up the front end of the rain gutters? I know that the front end has the 'hidden' drain tube leading down the A-pillar as shown in the thread photos. If I am driving...who cares where the rain on the roof drains off...20-80 mph frontal winds will certainly blow water in the gutters to the rear. If I am motionless but not opening the doors, the rain can drain where ever it wants.
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
What would be the problem if I siliconed up the front end of the rain gutters? I know that the front end has the 'hidden' drain tube leading down the A-pillar as shown in the thread photos. If I am driving...who cares where the rain on the roof drains off...20-80 mph frontal winds will certainly blow water in the gutters to the rear. If I am motionless but not opening the doors, the rain can drain where ever it wants.
Just to clarify, the tubes shown are the drains for the front windshield/hard top gutter system and have nothing to do with the side gutters. I think if you siliconed the front of the side gutters, one of two things would happen: either ur right, the water would just run to the back OR there may be so much water that they may overflow over the side when stopped and it would be worse than the little stream you currently get.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
The 3 piece hardtop does - all over the end of the dash ! saw the vid of one of the first test drives and that was one issue on there list

simple fix Im sure but it seems it should have been resolved years ago

Papuga

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
Today was the first time my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU has been driven in the rain. I pulled into my garage and opened the door and a small stream of water came pouring down into the Jeep and all over me. I had this issue with my 2013 JKU. I thought with new premium soft top this would be resolved. If they would have just extended the track above the door it would have fix it. Any one else notice this?

E8547A6A-4544-47F1-828A-D6D6AABDA4F5.jpeg
I have a hard top and have the same issue. It depends on the angle you are parked at too.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The rain gutter holds a certain volume of water. My Mustang does not have any rain gutters. When it is raining and you open the door any water is spread over the whole door opening. With a rain gutter that is too short to send the water forward...all of the volume will be dumped in one spot...your lap. I hope someone does an experiment for an open rain gutter versus a plugged gutter test to see the results.

Sponsored

AlphaQ2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the JLUR hardtop and I get a nice soaking every time it rains and I go to get into out of the Jeep. Where it leaks the covering is a little soft and spongy but I haven't had a lot of time to investigate more. Will try to look at it more this weekend. It really is a bad design and should have been caught during testing.

Het it might get fixed in a OTA update along with off road pages......

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Today was the first time my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU has been driven in the rain. I pulled into my garage and opened the door and a small stream of water came pouring down into the Jeep and all over me. I had this issue with my 2013 JKU. I thought with new premium soft top this would be resolved. If they would have just extended the track above the door it would have fix it. Any one else notice this?

I noticed today there is an opening in the channel on the center pillar between the front and back door, I know the channel slopes a little toward the front - maybe if you plugged the front it would drain here before it got inside - have you tried anything yet?

OP
OP
Kilowatt76

Kilowatt76

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I have not tried anything yet but and I have seen something on the internet about rain gutter extenders? Anybody heard of these or use them?

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I was under the impression that modern Wranglers didn't leak like the old days. Our 2012 didn't leak at all either from the hardtop or the Bestop NX soft top.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Maybe @JeepCares should pass this fix on to the engineers.
Just to report back. After several all day rains, my Jeep is still bone dry. Siliconing the areas I marked below has indeed stopped the leak that was causing my passenger floor to be wet after rains.

Hope it helps someone else.

9FCF0B23-E1BF-4246-A8F6-7D6DF63C0002.png

2BF95DAB-5D8A-41AC-97BB-3D022155BB46.jpeg

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Just to report back. After several all day rains, my Jeep is still bone dry. Siliconing the areas I marked below has indeed stopped the leak that was causing my passenger floor to be wet after rains.

Hope it helps someone else.

9FCF0B23-E1BF-4246-A8F6-7D6DF63C0002.png

2BF95DAB-5D8A-41AC-97BB-3D022155BB46.jpeg
Did you do both sides? Good job!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Did you do both sides? Good job!
I think I recall him answering that question before but I am too lazy to look for it. I believe he said he did not do the other side as there was no leak issue there. If a leak was to develop he would then do the other side.

JeepFun#18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU

I have the same exact issue on my new JLU with 260 miles on it. My 2015 JKU did not have this problem. I hope the engineers are working on a quick fix because this is very annoying.
Sponsored