First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Just mere curiosity but Jeep says the JL will ford 30" of water at 5mph. The rear axle breather is only about 25" high so how is 30" possible? Does the rear axle breather have a check valve in it to prevent water ingress? The rear axle breather is the horizontal hose to the upper right of the spring.
_CyM004Iw8yMG-Tcee1hdxObhmue9YpDuSQov17qypQdCqAl-7H20puFoHs-BVlRnLHTuE5FAJfbz20cI=w1394-h1045-no.jpg

This is about 18" so for us30" is likely never going to be an issue. Just curious.
XYyVMZeYkFu7Rimuql4P64tWkmZ1XPHMmKjyOVTf7uyZZtJD8qZ44nw7ZlHQ29mI6zSM2mFZAcFNfXwLg=w1394-h1045-no.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
That second pic is very impressive, I assume there was water inside ?

OP
OP
cabnfvr

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
That second pic is very impressive, I assume there was water inside ?
No water inside. The deep section only lasted a few feet so time was minimal and the level never quite got to the doors. As for the rear axle, ergo my curiosity.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
No water inside. The deep section only lasted a few feet so time was minimal and the level never quite got to the doors. As for the rear axle, ergo my curiosity.
If that's a concern, it's very easy to extend the breather hose. Go to an autoparts store, get a long enought to extend it to inside the cabin. Same with the front axle and the engine bay.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same question...

We can ford up to 30" and that puts you at the lower hinge on a stock height Jeep. That means the underside of your floorboards are covered with water. Guess where the rear axle vent's breather end attaches? Yep the underside of the floorboard. Is it tucked up high enough to avoid being submerged? What happens if it gets submerged? We accidentally forded well over 30" this weekend. I'm talking the front bow of the waved we made hit the bottom of the head lights although the back was not that deep, had no problems though.

Not a single drop of water inside the Jeep.