Washed my Keyfob

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Hit and miss here. I’ve washed two and have 50% success rate.
Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did try the dryer to see if it would shrink it any? J\K Could try taking it apart to see if its full of dried soap. Video is how to replace case but should show you how to take it apart. (I use this case and it works pretty good)

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
It's been sitting on my desk for a week with no battery. I tried for the first time today.
You need something to actually suck the moisture out of it before it corrodes all the itsy-bitsy solder points. Rice works very well for that process, but you need to do it immediately. A few hours later and it's toast anyways.

There is one other trick you might try, but only if you're brave, and you are 99.9% sure the circuit board is FUBAR as is. You can try baking the circuit board in an oven ... a regular oven, not a microwave oven. I have had some luck using this process with computer mobos and GPUs.

Google to confirm, but the basic process is preheat the oven to 200F. Support the circuit board on something that only holds up the corners and does not touch anything metal. bake it for about ten minutes.

The idea is that reheating the solder joints will reset all the connections.

Again, this process is not to be attempted by the faint of heart. Only try this if you are all out of options and have absolutely nothing to lose.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
At this point would it hurt anything to take it apart and clean the circuit board? Seems to me that the most likely cause of the issue that OP describes is some kind of contaminate on the board creating a bridge that shouldn't exist. Remove the battery. A 1.5mm hex will get the circuit board out of the case, some 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a clean toothbrush. dip the brush in the alcohol and lightly rub down the circuit board. The alcohol will evaporate quickly and it doesn't have anything else in it that will be left behind to cause problems.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’d try the cleaning trick..if that fails you’re likely SOL. You “might“ find one from a wrecked JL and get your dealer to reprogram it. As noted, new ones are “scarce”.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'd try cleaning it. You can also get some contact cleaner spray. Or the kind of cleaner used for cleaning MAF sensors. An alcohol based cleaner that doesn't leave any residue. You may still have some soap in there.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Is the dealership the only place to get a new one?
My dealership gave me 2 keys when I picked up delivery, but I have manual locks and no keyless buttons so maybe just the base Sports get 2 keys upon delivery.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Took my fob windsurfing once. Didn't know it was in my pockets until I got out of the ocean. It was soaking wet. I immediately opened it up and dried the inside, the battery was a bit corroded, but after drying it out with some towels it has worked without issues since.

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
Take it all apart, board and everything. Let it dry out. I bet there is water under the buttons.

Once dried out real good, I bet it starts working again.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you can, open it and clean everything as much as you can and then put it in a ziplock of rice for a few days and then assemble everything

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Funny enough, this only happens to people who do laundry regularly. I told a single bachelor friend about how I washed my phone and he told me that it was a benefit of only doing laundry once a month ... you will need your keys/phone before you ever wash the clothes they are in.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
No, they have just started only giving one key across all models, due to a chip shortage.
Is this for real? At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but that's crazy if its true. I heard about the chip shortage for production, but I didn't realize it would mean only 1 key per Jeep.