Sponsored

Washed my Keyfob

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So last week I ran my key fob through the washing machine. I noticed that during the spin cycle the panic button went off. I pulled the battery out and let it dry for about a week now. I just put the battery back in. If I click any button, its like I clicked the panic button. Think this fob is shot? Is the dealership the only place to get a new one?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is the dealership the only place to get a new one?
I haven't seen or heard of any other way to get a new one.

Some extended warranties or insurance cover damaged/lost keys. Check yours first.

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I haven't seen or heard of any other way to get a new one.

Some extended warranties or insurance cover damaged/lost keys. Check yours first.
I called the parts dept and they said they are back ordered, and is weeks before they are allowed to order another. Then after they get that fob, it has to be programmed.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I called the parts dept and they said they are back ordered, and is weeks before they are allowed to order another. Then after they get that fob, it has to be programmed.
Back order is due to the global chip shortage. Unfortunately, it will be quite a while before that gets cleared up.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
So last week I ran my key fob through the washing machine. I noticed that during the spin cycle the panic button went off. I pulled the battery out and let it dry for about a week now. I just put the battery back in. If I click any button, its like I clicked the panic button. Think this fob is shot? Is the dealership the only place to get a new one?
I did the exact same thing happen. I ended up opening the FOB to let dry and went to home depot to get a new battery. Popped it in and now works fine

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I did the exact same thing happen. I ended up opening the FOB to let dry and went to home depot to get a new battery. Popped it in and now works fine
I can start the jeep with the key.. but just any button i click the light flashes on the remote and sets off the panic button.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

but just any button i click the light flashes on the remote and sets off the panic button.
It's possible that when the panic was set off while the fob was in the washer, something on the circuit board shorted out. If a new battery hasn't fixed anything, the fob is probably shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
you didn't notice having a brick in your pocket when you threw them into the washer? j/k.
Expensive mistake I guess.. LOL. Was rushing to get some stuff washed before my sons baseball game and threw my jeans in with it.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I can start the jeep with the key.. but just any button i click the light flashes on the remote and sets off the panic button.
oh...i thought you put the same battery back in. mine was acting the same way with panic mode until i put a new battery in.

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Shouldnt have try using it!. Next time (if it ever happens again). Take the battery out and put it in a bag of rice for 24 hours before using it.
It's been sitting on my desk for a week with no battery. I tried for the first time today.
Sponsored