Sponsored

Warranty after modifications. ?

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I don't mean to sound like a negative Nelly here, but please keep in mind that the minute you do any mechanical modifications, either lifts or suspension changes etc. FCA will do everything they can to void whatever goes wrong with your Jeep in the future. This is true for ANY company, Ford, Chevy, Toyota. Mods to a stock vehicle is an automatic warranty killer. If you alter the suspension they can say that it changed the camber, even caused issues to directly effect engine performance and driveshaft failure, differential failure, 4wd system parts failure and ware. It's endless. They can void your entire warranty for the life of your vehicle. The point of the Wrangler is that it's made to go just about anywhere, so if you're modding just for fun and looks sake, be careful. If you don't have a wad of cash stored away to fix potential issues in your Jeep for the future, then start an account now. FCA isn't going to fix your Jeep if it isn't stock or very close to, IE tire changes etc. Just an FYI. That's all.
Sponsored

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got this from Quadratec on an item I installed when I asked if it was going to void my warranty before I bought it:

"No,An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

I have Dodge parts on my Ram SRT-10 and Challenger SRT-8 that were installed; or verified as installed correctly, by my Dodge dealer. None ever voided my warranties -

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Got this from Quadratec on an item I installed when I asked if it was going to void my warranty before I bought it:

"No,An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

I have Dodge parts on my Ram SRT-10 and Challenger SRT-8 that were installed; or verified as installed correctly, by my Dodge dealer. None ever voided my warranties -

This is all correct. Nothing to worry about! Jeeps are one of the most modified vehicles out there. Enjoy your mods!! :clap: :like:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
No. It doesn't void your warranty. However good luck getting a dealer service department to touch your Jeep with a 10ft pole if it has aftermarket stuff on it.

Here is one of a dozen examples I have. They said my windshield was whistling in the top left corner because of my front aftermarket bumper.

Sponsored

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
fat_head has a point -- I've been buying Dodges from the same dealer for 18 years. How much aggravation you receive in dealing with warranty, or any other, stuff is directly related to your rapport with the dealer. At least in my experience FWIW

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mean to sound like a negative Nelly here, but please keep in mind that the minute you do any mechanical modifications, either lifts or suspension changes etc. FCA will do everything they can to void whatever goes wrong with your Jeep in the future. This is true for ANY company, Ford, Chevy, Toyota. Mods to a stock vehicle is an automatic warranty killer. If you alter the suspension they can say that it changed the camber, even caused issues to directly effect engine performance and driveshaft failure, differential failure, 4wd system parts failure and ware. It's endless. They can void your entire warranty for the life of your vehicle. The point of the Wrangler is that it's made to go just about anywhere, so if you're modding just for fun and looks sake, be careful. If you don't have a wad of cash stored away to fix potential issues in your Jeep for the future, then start an account now. FCA isn't going to fix your Jeep if it isn't stock or very close to, IE tire changes etc. Just an FYI. That's all.
This may be true in your situation and maybe true for a lot of people, however it’s just not true for everyone.

This is why I had my lift installed by my dealership, I could have done it ,I’m a shade tree wrench monkey.

But I tend to break shit and didn’t want them to start the crap your talking about. I’ve had it in for a clunking noise we couldn’t locate, and while checking things out they didn’t like the amount of metal shavings in my front diff, so they replaced my front axle assembly ( not including axle shafts) no questions asked.

That didn’t fix the noise so they swapped out my axle shafts, again never brought up anything about the mods voiding warranty. Just saying......:)

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
As others mentioned comes down to your dealer. I'd suggest talking to your dealer service manager prior to any major mods to gauge how they will react.

Also understand if you bring in a Jeep for warranty work make sure it's not a mod that is or has caused the problem as then the dealer has to report this in the paperwork or they do not get paid for their time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

This all sounds great in a perfect world. However, once aftermarket work is done, if there is a failure of any factory part, don't kid yourself for a second that your dealer and manufacture is just going to fix it without questioning the work you had done. There are factory service reps that go to dealers daily to inspect parts failures - warranty inspectors, that look specifically as to if the failure can somehow be linked to user abuse. That abuse can be simple off road use to even a bug screen over the grill that lowers air flow to the radiator. All happened to me. Even a seal fluid differential leak that Toyota insisted was due to my towing a trailer that caused strain on the drivetrain. The trailer was UNDER the required tow weight, however, the Toyota rep. stated he did not know how much weight I had carried in the trailer the prior week, and since I couldn't prove it, they tried to block repairs due to "owner abuse". They were scum balls. So, once again, buyer beware when you touch your vehicles drivetrain. One more thing. While they argue over what caused what, you are the one who's going to pay for a rental car for 4 weeks while they box it out. Just prepare.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
All dealers handle these things in there own way. Go to one and they'll say this and that... go to another and you'll get a total different answer. If you modify your suspension, they aren't going to warranty your springs/shocks. etc.
put a muffler on, and they aren't going to warranty it.

For those that worried about warranty... then don't modify any vehicle if you overly worried about it. Me, I had a 1000+hp Charge Hellcat on e85 and I never had a warranty issue when I took it in :) Do what you feel is best for YOU!

Have a fun Modified Day :jk: :clap:

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Agreed, most mfgs. Will do everything in their power to blame x, y, or z problem on the aftermarket antenna you installed. The awesome part about that shady $hit that they try to pull is that (in general) mfgs. If they take that d#ck-bag stance and you want to lawyer up on them, the burden of proof is on them to prove that the aftermarket antenna you installed caused your passenger front tire to fall off. What i have learned, go to the closest dealership for warranty repairs, if they give you hell push back on them. Explain to me how my antenna mod made that tire fall off. Then escalate to corporate Jeep, raise a bunch of hell with them and usually you will get what they should have given you to start with.
Sponsored