Order of modifications?

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have an JLUR, and need to space out the mods I want over the next few years. I keep going back and forth on a front bumper (already have the winch as I got it at Christmas - long story but don’t have the bumper I got it for as the deal was bogus). But then I am weary of the weight between the bumper and winch without a lift or bigger tires...so now am going back and forth on what I should get first.

I won’t be getting tires for awhile (next set) - but lift would help if did that first. So would it make more sense to get the lift now, bumper down the road, and tires after that? I want the bumper now (and rear after that) - I think that would be ok performance wise. I won’t be wheeling every weekend but do plan on going as much as I can.

Oh, and I’m adding some new sliders this weekend, have a steel cable winch, and am looking at the Smittybilt XRC bumper (which is pretty heavy) - going between that and LOD mid width. Thinking Mopar lift.

Thoughts/opinions welcome
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You don't need the sliders, you already have some so put that in the lift/tires fund. A lifted Jeep without bigger tires looks bad.

tl;dr Buy the front bumper.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ill tell you my Rampage bumper was exactly 55lbs without the winch. i lost about and 1/16" of height on my sport with this addition from the plastic bumper on my sport. then i installed Rubicon take off suspension with a gain of 1.75" on avg all the way around on my sport. i wouldnt worry about a lift even with the winch tell your ready to spend the money on it. worst case add a .5" spacer on the front spring to offset the weight of the winch. they run about 100 bucks and take about 45 mins to put on. I wouldnt worry about a big lift tell you ready to pay for it. Good luck!

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I am also looking at the Smittybilt XRC bumper. Get the bumper and get your winch installed. The additional weight of the bumper and winch may lower your front end a little, but not likely anything significant.

Save up and do lift / wheels / tires at the same time. As previous stated, lift without wheels looks funny. Wheels / tires without lift can potentially cause problems, but since you're waiting till the next set....do them all at the same time.

OP
OP

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks all - bumper / winch it is. I know didn’t “need” the sliders but got some that can double as step for the kids (big bonus with the fam) and I already have a nice size dent from sliding off a log where the rubi-rails didn’t protect/protrude enough. Would have been protected with with these.

Will look at the spacer as a holdover if needed.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

sounds great. post pictures when you get the bumper!
Sponsored