Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to gauge some opinions on the WARN VR series vs ZEON durability factors and the 8000 vs 10k, specifically if the 8000 will be sufficient for my lightly armored JLUR. I have some 100lb sliders and will be adding engine/tc/tank skids (likely aluminum not sure yet), ARB diff covers on the way. Other stuff in my sig (tires etc) and I have the stock steel bumpers.
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I always try to shoot for around 3x the base weight of my vehicle for the type of situations I encounter when selecting my winch capacity. This allows me with a snatch block and good anchoring to even help out super duty’s etc if needed.

Regarding the two models, one is made in Oregon and one in China. Both are great and it’s really budget and personal choice. I run the 12k Zeon Platinum because of the USA portion and I like its features and internals.

https://www.warn.com/comparison-warn-vr-vs-zeon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be doing volunteer or paid recoveries so it's not a problem for me. I doubt even need complex recovery techniques.. just personal wheeling. I may go with a 10k zeon.. more than I'd ever need.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
There are a few things I do not skimp on in life - helmets, skates, and recovery gear. The Zeon had enough advantages to be worth it. Went 10K since I will also help those I am with. Pulled a Land Rover axle buried in mud up a hill with this one. Already armpit deep in money into the Jeeps why not a few dollars more for the right stuff?

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few things I do not skimp on in life - helmets, skates, and recovery gear. The Zeon had enough advantages to be worth it. Went 10K since I will also help those I am with. Pulled a Land Rover axle buried in mud up a hill with this one. Already armpit deep in money into the Jeeps why not a few dollars more for the right stuff?
Agreed!!! I'll be plopping down the $ for a Zeon 10k this week.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I would rather have an 8k zeon than a 10k VR.

No reason to get a warn VR unless you just want the name. There are better winches for less money, like the smittybilt gen2 or engo stuff.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well I drove myself completely crazy for weeks trying to decide what winch to get, I ended up driving down to the local 4X shop and talked with them about my setup so I ended up with the Smittlybilt gen 2 X20 10k synthetic rope with wireless remote and warn winch plate. At the time both were on sale. If down the road I feel I need something more then I will upgrade...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I won't be doing volunteer or paid recoveries so it's not a problem for me. I doubt even need complex recovery techniques.. just personal wheeling. I may go with a 10k zeon.. more than I'd ever need.
The unwritten code of off-roaders is that they'll help someone in trouble. In America, it goes back to at least the frontier days. First time you run into someone in need, you'll help with everything you have. But your choice of a 10K Zeon is a good one. If you're like most off-roaders, you'll use your winch for others more than for yourself, and be rewarded by knowing you helped someone in need.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The unwritten code of off-roaders is that they'll help someone in trouble. In America, it goes back to at least the frontier days. First time you run into someone in need, you'll help with everything you have. But your choice of a 10K Zeon is a good one. If you're like most off-roaders, you'll use your winch for others more than for yourself, and be rewarded by knowing you helped someone in need.

This is so true in so many ways. I can’t even count how many times I’ve come up on people who have been stuck 5+ hours and no winch or straps.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Yeah but you know what, I'm getting pretty fucking tired of helping people. Almost every single time I go wheeling (about two weekends a month) I pull 1-2 vehicles out. Out of all the saving I do only one group slipped me a $20 and insisted I take it.

Anyways OP, if you plan on getting the winch wet alot, go for a Zeon as the VR isn't as water tight.

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah but you know what, I'm getting pretty fucking tired of helping people. Almost every single time I go wheeling (about two weekends a month) I pull 1-2 vehicles out. Out of all the saving I do only one group slipped me a $20 and insisted I take it.
That’s very interesting, I’ve always been offered money and even drinks too, 99.9% of the time I refuse. Where are you wheeling, what type of recoveries?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Anyways OP, if you plan on getting the winch wet alot, go for a Zeon as the VR isn't as water tight.
If I need your help, I'll slip you $100, since that seems to mean something to you. But then, I'll expect you to pay everyone $100 that helps you after that.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
That’s very interesting, I’ve always been offered money and even drinks too, 99.9% of the time I refuse. Where are you wheeling, what type of recoveries?
Let's see the past two times I've gone out I've come across:

1. 30' class A motorhome that decided to baja in deep sand, down into a ravine, at night, in below freezing temperatures.
2. Honda Civic down a sandy trail. These guys were genuinely happy I came and helped them.
3. 2WD pickup in the swamp burred up to the frame and one rear tire was flat. He refused to dig himself out even after seeing my Wrangler pull itself towards the truck. He insisted I needed to, "floor it and run over those trees" to get him out of there.
4. Another 2WD pickup stuck in the swap.
5. Last year I came across three Wranglers, two of the three stuck in mud, and NONE of them had recovery equipment. Luckily by the time I went around to the other side another Wrangler group came by and got them all out.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
If I need your help, I'll slip you $100, since that seems to mean something to you. But then, I'll expect you to pay everyone $100 that helps you after that.
My time is worth something. My equipment is worth something. I researched, purchased, and prepared to go out. NONE of the people I have recovered did any of that. Most are unappreciative and probably don't understand a tow would be hundreds of dollars. I understand mistakes happen but common sense goes a long damn way.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Let's see the past two times I've gone out I've come across:

1. 30' class A motorhome that decided to baja in deep sand, down into a ravine, at night, in below freezing temperatures.
2. Honda Civic down a sandy trail. These guys were genuinely happy I came and helped them.
3. 2WD pickup in the swamp burred up to the frame and one rear tire was flat. He refused to dig himself out even after seeing my Wrangler pull itself towards the truck. He insisted I needed to, "floor it and run over those trees" to get him out of there.
4. Another 2WD pickup stuck in the swap.
5. Last year I came across three Wranglers, two of the three stuck in mud, and NONE of them had recovery equipment. Luckily by the time I went around to the other side another Wrangler group came by and got them all out.
wow, I’ve only encountered Jeeps and a Super Duty. I have to admit the 2wd pickup guy that started telling me how to do it would have been disconnected and wished best of luck, as long as it wasn’t ultra remote.

Sorry you’re having a bad string of luck.
Sponsored