Sponsored

Vehicle insurance when modified

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Why would they ask anything? It is in their interest to collect a monthly payment based on the VIN provided. They wont simply cover what you added unless it is known to them. If you keep receipts for the regular maintenance that was done that will help ensure that you get the max if something happens to the stock configuration
For reference I have USAA too and they did not ask me about my 4Runner either.
You’d be surprised what they’ll cover in terms of Mods. Especially OEM mods of course. The reps there are very understanding or at least they were with me twice lol
Sponsored

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
State Farm must be totally different game. They insure all modifications you have a receipt for. They insure accidents on market trails. Yep. Roll it out at Moab and they will cover it as long as you were where you were supposed to be. Been with them for 33 years. As much as i dislike insurance, they are solid.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think it's only fair that an insurance underwriter charge a higher premium for covering more. If you buy a $40k vehicle and want another $10 or 20k worth of mods insured.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
In this thread, there will be people claiming they pay outrageously low premium and there will be people saying they pay outrageously high premium. Just be mindful people, you cannot compare premium without many many factors. Even a different neighborhood will get you different premium, much less different states.
And don't forget it is also dependent on how much they have for a deductible. High deductible, lower rates. And it also depends on the amount of coverage you have for various things. So, yes, hard to compare one persons $4000 per year to another's $1200 per year.

Rural Applachia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited 2018 JLU Sport S
I wish I was wrong. With Harvey and the tax day floods, insurance has been going up a minimum of 10% per year. I cannot fathom the amount insurance fraud with people flooding their cars. For my truck and wife’s tahoe, we’re at 3k, add 1700 for the Jeep for an annual premium of 4700

Brett
I live in area that was double hit in past 24 months by floods and high wind damage and billions in claims. Total full coverage $500 deductable and pay $600 every 6 months for two Jeeps combined

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
insurance premiums depends on your location, driving record, age, sex, marriage status, membership, rent or own your house, multi-policy discount, etc...

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I will be picking up my 2019 JLUR tomorrow. This morning I called my insurance company (Costco/Ameriprise) to add it to the policy. I plan on putting a lift and 37” tires on 17” wheels.

I was told that any lift must be UNDER 3” and tires cannot be more than 2” larger than the stock tires.
I had a similar experience last time I called around for quotes. Costco/Ameriprise was looking pretty darn good, right up until they said they wouldn't cover my XJ on 33's. It sounds like they may have loosened up a bit actually. When I called (around 5 years ago) they told me that ANY lift or change of tire size would be grounds for not insuring my vehicle.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
I will be picking up my 2019 JLUR tomorrow. This morning I called my insurance company (Costco/Ameriprise) to add it to the policy. I plan on putting a lift and 37” tires on 17” wheels.

I was told that any lift must be UNDER 3” and tires cannot be more than 2” larger than the stock tires.

For those of you who have lifted and added larger tires, have you been able to insure your Jeep? Who do you use for insurance? Do you tell the insurance company you have modified your jeep or do you just stay silent?

Thanks in advance!
Well I just totalled by JKU... and I had a 3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires, aftermarket bumpers, tail lights and headlights.

Short answer is Yes. They will insure you.

They will only cover aftermarket parts if you get an after market rider protection in you plan.

When you total the care without one....Well they will only pay you for condition as if it was stock from the dealership...

OP
OP
Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
I had a similar experience last time I called around for quotes. Costco/Ameriprise was looking pretty darn good, right up until they said they wouldn't cover my XJ on 33's. It sounds like they may have loosened up a bit actually. When I called (around 5 years ago) they told me that ANY lift or change of tire size would be grounds for not insuring my vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback...Costco/Ameriprise is my insurer on my other vehicles, but will not insure the JLUR because of off-roading. Went with progressive for the JL for the time being.
Sponsored