Sponsored

Vehicle broken into...

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to Miami. My apartment is 1,607 sq feet, two balconies / lanais, gated garage, gym, pool and pet care facilities. Really nice but very expensive. To put it in perspective I paid 1/2 of this for my mortgage & property taxes on my 3,000sq foot house on 1 acre in NC. Can't wait to wait to move from here given this experience but I do understand it can happen anywhere at any time.
Yeah, we had a pool, gym, and places for pets to be walked/play, etc. Move to TN, no state income tax, and in Northeast TN, the property values are much lower than the bigger cities...
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
don't worry about it too much. it is just stuff. they didn't break into your home or put anyone in danger. you made a mistake leaving anything with possible value visible with a soft top. i've been driving convertibles for a while (i actually bought a jeep because i wanted a convertible that could fit my whole family) and always made sure to not leave anything out, even a jacket. my friend always asked why i wasn't afraid to leave the top open when i parked it places and i just told him that if they really wanted to get in, they could just cut through the top. i may as well make it easier for them.
I agree. It's just stuff and can be replaced. If I heard the alarm notification I most likely would have ran to go and see who hit my Jeep (never thinking break in) and that could have been really bad if I confronted them. Love my Jeep but it's just a thing at the end of the day and not worth getting hurt or killed defending. My family is a different story...

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Sorry to hear this happened. I Have also been a victim of theft due to easy access through the soft top, and it's extremely frustrating. It's not so much the value of the lost items, it's just the fact that it happened. Theft almost makes sense when they see something specific that they want, but in cases like this they're just rummaging around HOPING to find something worth taking/selling. It's the complete lack of respect for other people's property that annoyed me the most.
My experience is exactly why I have a hardtop. Mine occurred on a rental while on our honeymoon, so when I ordered my JL (my first Wrangler ever) I didn't even consider the soft top as an option.

And for those who say the thief will simply break my window.... Not without a lot of effort and drawing attention to themselves. I have security film on my windows. I highly recommend adding it to your hardtop and door windows. It won't help if you keep using the soft top but it will protect you during the season when you switch it out.
For any of you who haven't see this stuff in action, it's very effective. It's not the brand I use but the video shows the benefit of security tint.
What happens if you need to get out through your window?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I agree. It's just stuff and can be replaced. If I heard the alarm notification I most likely would have ran to go and see who hit my Jeep (never thinking break in) and that could have been really bad if I confronted them. Love my Jeep but it's just a thing at the end of the day and not worth getting hurt or killed defending. My family is a different story...
years ago i lived in a so-so neighborhood. it was fine, but was fairly close to some pretty sketchy neighborhoods. i was in our first floor apartment with my wife and we were drinking, pretty well drunk at that point. i heard my car alarm go off and looked out to see a running car next to it. "damn, they hit my car..." so i grabbed my keys and ran outside to stop the alarm. but, i got outside and just watched my car drive away. having to make a statement to the police while half in the bag kind of sucked.

luckily it was raining that night and my tires were fairly bald. they lost control and crashed the car. not-so-luckily, they didn't total it so my insurance just got it fixed up for me.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for posting this! Do you mind indicating which brand of security film you use? I have a base sport (no alarm) and would like to invest in this!
Nothing wrong with Llumar, they make good stuff. I use Concord Solar Control Films though because they had more tint options in security film when I first started doing tint. I assume Llumar has more than just one level of VLT now so at this point it's just a matter of sticking with a product I'm familiar with.
Anyway, Concord primarily does home and office windows (including hurricane film), but they also make automotive film. Here is a link to the automotive page https://www.windowfilm.com/auto_1.html
I typically buy 50' rolls because I do tint for friends/family, but a 25' roll is more than enough to do your entire Jeep. IIRC a 25' roll of security film runs about $75 after shipping/tax.

What happens if you need to get out through your window?
You roll it down. LOL
Seriously though, studies have shown that in the event you drive into water, the power stays on much longer than people think. Certainly long enough to put the windows down. In the event of a crash where you can't open the door and the battery is smashed, you're probably going to have at least one window broken out (crashes create much more force that someone swinging a rock, or pipe). Option 3 is to carry a window punch with you. It still won't explode like untreated glass, but you can break the glass with it, without having to take full swings even if it takes a few punches.

Sponsored

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Some of this can also be related to how easy it is to sell anything - check ebay or Amazon and your manual may be listed for 10-15 bucks (and someone will buy it at that price!)

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with Llumar, they make good stuff. I use Concord Solar Control Films though because they had more tint options in security film when I first started doing tint. I assume Llumar has more than just one level of VLT now so at this point it's just a matter of sticking with a product I'm familiar with.
Anyway, Concord primarily does home and office windows (including hurricane film), but they also make automotive film. Here is a link to the automotive page https://www.windowfilm.com/auto_1.html
I typically buy 50' rolls because I do tint for friends/family, but a 25' roll is more than enough to do your entire Jeep. IIRC a 25' roll of security film runs about $75 after shipping/tax.

You roll it down. LOL
Seriously though, studies have shown that in the event you drive into water, the power stays on much longer than people think. Certainly long enough to put the windows down. In the event of a crash where you can't open the door and the battery is smashed, you're probably going to have at least one window broken out (crashes create much more force that someone swinging a rock, or pipe). Option 3 is to carry a window punch with you. It still won't explode like untreated glass, but you can break the glass with it, without having to take full swings even if it takes a few punches.
Thank youuuuuu

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Sorry that happened. If I lived in an apartment I would just drive a beater because of this sort of thing.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some of this can also be related to how easy it is to sell anything - check ebay or Amazon and your manual may be listed for 10-15 bucks (and someone will buy it at that price!)
We have been looking on eBay, Amazone, FB Marketplace and Craigslist for my stuff. If I happen to see it I'm going to contact the police, although I doubt they will do anything...

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry that happened. If I lived in an apartment I would just drive a beater because of this sort of thing.
What's frustrating is this is what they call a Luxury Apartment - gated multi-floor parking garage, cameras at every door, locked doors that require a key fob to enter and a security guard that patrols at night. For this reason the officer who took the report is pretty sure it was someone who lives here or was a visitor of someone who lives here. A few worthless items were thrown by one of the doors that lead back towards the apartments which reinforces what the officer was thinking. I'll be meeting with the apartment management today at 2:00 to see if they have anything on the cameras. I doubt it as the camera only look at the doors / gates from the outside of the building and don't monitor the doors leading into the apartments from the garage and interior hallways. Someone walking with a bight pink Tommy Bahama shirt should be easy to spot on the camera if they were dumb enough to carry it in their hand.

Sponsored

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
What's frustrating is this is what they call a Luxury Apartment - gated multi-floor parking garage, cameras at every door, locked doors that require a key fob to enter and a security guard that patrols at night. For this reason the officer who took the report is pretty sure it was someone who lives here or was a visitor of someone who lives here. A few worthless items were thrown by one of the doors that lead back towards the apartments which reinforces what the officer was thinking. I'll be meeting with the apartment management today at 2:00 to see if they have anything on the cameras. I doubt it as the camera only look at the doors / gates from the outside of the building and don't monitor the doors leading into the apartments from the garage and interior hallways. Someone walking with a bight pink Tommy Bahama shirt should be easy to spot on the camera if they were dumb enough to carry it in their hand.
Hope you get something on the cameras and great job not just letting it slide. Keep at it!!!

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hope you get something on the cameras and great job not just letting it slide. Keep at it!!!
Totally principle at this point. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination - I work hard for everything I have and I HATE a thief. Lowest of the low. I want to catch this a:swear:hole so they don't do it to someone else.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
LOL, well you know, their "good" car is a Bugatti, and they "slum it" in the JL.