First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Great way to start a Monday! Woke up this morning to a message from my Guardian services that my Anti-theft alarm was activated at 1:17AM this morning. The scumbags ripped through the rear soft-top window and stole a number of pricey Tommy Bahama shirts that were going to the cleaners, 2 pairs of Maui Jim glasses, the toolkit for the hard top, my insurance card and registration and the owner's manual (who would want that?)! What's frustrating is I live in a gated apartment, with a security guard and the vehicle was on the 3rd floor of the garage so they had to walk up several flights of stairs - the police said they may actually live in the apartment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle broken into... tempImageSa4Sa3
Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle broken into... tempImageRPQAc0
Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle broken into... tempImage10Igc0
Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle broken into... tempImage5EMJm4
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Man that sucks. They could've removed the side window completely without damage or noise.

That aside - never leave anything visible inside any vehicle with a soft top. This is what happens. Hell. I don't lock my doors with the soft top on. Go ahead and rummage through my empty vehicle - just leave my soft top alone you animals.

Might find your insurance/reg and manual in a nearby bush or garbage can if you look quickly. They probably snatched it to search away from the vehicle and discarded it when they discovered it's worthless.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Man that sucks. They could've removed the side window completely without damage or noise.

That aside - never leave anything visible inside any vehicle with a soft top. This is what happens. Hell. I don't lock my doors with the soft top on. Go ahead and rummage through my empty vehicle - just leave my soft top alone you animals.

Might find your insurance/reg and manual in a nearby bush or garbage can if you look quickly. They probably snatched it to search away from the vehicle and discarded it when they discovered it's worthless.
Right there with you about the valuables. I had the laundry bag in the back seat (it's the yellow bag that's under the Jeep in the photos). I had planned to drop it off on my way home from dinner but was tired and figured I would just drop it off at lunch today. So pissed! Two things I'm thankful for. I have a CCW License and my firearm was (as usual) safely locked with me in my home, not in the Jeep and 2, I slept through the alarm. If it woke me up I probably would have ran down the hall to the parking garage thinking someone hit my vehicle (the thought of a break-in never crossed my mind to be honest) and would have confronted them. If they were armed it wouldn't have ended well for me - at the end of the day it's only stuff that can be replaced but it still annoys me. I'm wondering how much a replacement for the premium window costs. Any idea? Insurance will be out for an assessment in a day or so...

Last edited:

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Right there with you about the valuables. I had the laundry bag in the back seat (it's the yellow bag that's under the Jeep in the photos). I had planned to drop it off on my way home from dinner but was tired and figured I would just drop it off at lunch today. So pissed! Two things I'm thankful for. I have a CCW License and my firearm was (as usual) safely locked with me in my home, not in the Jeep and 2, I slept through the alarm. If it woke me up I probably would have ran down the hall to the parking garage thinking someone hit my vehicle (the thought of a break-in never crossed my mind to be honest) and would have confronted them. If they were armed I wouldn't have ended well for me - at the end of the day it's only stuff that can be replaced but it still annoys me. I'm wondering how much a replacement for the premium window costs. Any idea? Insurance will be out for an assessment in a day or so...
One good bit of news is you'll probably get the upgraded window with the green tabs that holds in at the bottom better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scumbags.

Did your insurance/registration have your address on it?
Yes! I'm actually giving my notice today at my apartment (has nothing to do with this incident - truly coincidental) but it's going to unnerve me until I move out in December...

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One good bit of news is you'll probably get the upgraded window with the green tabs that holds in at the bottom better.
This one had the green tabs on it already so I'm doubly frustrated. Just glad it was just stuff and I hope they catch the a$$...

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I've been posting about my upgrades I've been doing lately (hood lock / dash cam/ locking lug nuts) becasue I live in an apartment with un-gated parking and we have so many thefts of property and vehicles...

Truth is though, my last building with fully gated underground had nearly as many thefts and bikes and vehicles stolen...

Sorry to hear about this - my other vehicle (Kia) was broken into just 3 weeks ago...

The thought of it being an inside job though is infuriating :mad:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear, man. That sucks.

Unfortunately, with many people unemployed, and a spike in households unable to pay their rent/mortgage or even buy food, I’d be extra cautious about break-ins, even if living inside a gated and secured community.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Man I feel your pain. I am so blessed to live on a farm in the country. Thank goodness it was only “stuff”, but I know how violated you feel (had a burglar many many years ago when I lived in town). Stat safe and well

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Sorry to hear this happened. I Have also been a victim of theft due to easy access through the soft top, and it's extremely frustrating. It's not so much the value of the lost items, it's just the fact that it happened. Theft almost makes sense when they see something specific that they want, but in cases like this they're just rummaging around HOPING to find something worth taking/selling. It's the complete lack of respect for other people's property that annoyed me the most.
My experience is exactly why I have a hardtop. Mine occurred on a rental while on our honeymoon, so when I ordered my JL (my first Wrangler ever) I didn't even consider the soft top as an option.

And for those who say the thief will simply break my window.... Not without a lot of effort and drawing attention to themselves. I have security film on my windows. I highly recommend adding it to your hardtop and door windows. It won't help if you keep using the soft top but it will protect you during the season when you switch it out.
For any of you who haven't see this stuff in action, it's very effective. It's not the brand I use but the video shows the benefit of security tint.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry to hear this happened. I Have also been a victim of theft due to easy access through the soft top, and it's extremely frustrating. It's not so much the value of the lost items, it's just the fact that it happened. Theft almost makes sense when they see something specific that they want, but in cases like this they're just rummaging around HOPING to find something worth taking/selling. It's the complete lack of respect for other people's property that annoyed me the most.
My experience is exactly why I have a hardtop. Mine occurred on a rental while on our honeymoon, so when I ordered my JL (my first Wrangler ever) I didn't even consider the soft top as an option.

And for those who say the thief will simply break my window.... Not without a lot of effort and drawing attention to themselves. I have security film on my windows. I highly recommend adding it to your hardtop and door windows. It won't help if you keep using the soft top but it will protect you during the season when you switch it out.
For any of you who haven't see this stuff in action, it's very effective. It's not the brand I use but the video shows the benefit of security tint.
Super frustrating. I currently live in an apartment so having a hardtop isn't an option for me right now (I didn't order one with my Jeep). I've been reading how insecure the soft top is and I've never had any doubts about this. It aggravates me that it could be someone who lives here at the complex - and these things are expensive (I pay $4K per month for my apartment) so I would expect them to have some class. If that's true then apparently not.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh, I assumed you had a hardtop since you had the tool kit. I guess it makes sense that everyone gets the kit, because the tools work for you doors, and windshield too.

And yes, I would assume there'd be some amount of security in a gated lot. Do they at least have cameras?

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh, I assumed you had a hardtop since you had the tool kit. I guess it makes sense that everyone gets the kit, because the tools work for you doors, and windshield too.

And yes, I would assume there'd be some amount of security in a gated lot. Do they at least have cameras?
I stopped by the office and they do have cameras but they don't cover where my vehicle was parked, just the entrance to the garage. It almost feels like my Jeep was specifically targeted as they had to either go through one of three doors to my floor of the garage or wander through the entire garage to find my Jeep on the third floor. I always back it into the space and I'm wondering if I should just pull it straight in from now on so the rear of the vehicle is exposed and not concealed against the wall.

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
That’s a real bummer sorry to hear someone violated your Jeep, kind of scary they took your personal information.
i had someone drill holes in my hard tonneau cover and punch the locking mechanism out on a truck, nothing in the back so they slashed the sidewall on 4 new tires and scratched the door
Idiots with no respect for others property
Glad it wasn’t worse
Sponsored