Vehicle broken into...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
... I always back it into the space and I'm wondering if I should just pull it straight in from now on so the rear of the vehicle is exposed and not concealed against the wall.
I just read another thread yesterday where someone was worried about their spare being stolen. The recommendation was to back close to the wall to prevent that. Seems like you either protect the spare from theft but create a semi-concealed location for the thief, or you leave you spare open to theft. I don't think there's really a perfect position. It will come down to what they're looking to take, and how bold they are willing to be to do it.
Sponsored

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I can sympathize. Had almost the same thing happen to me at my apartment. Gated parking structure, second floor. Burglar smashed my left rear window and stole two backpacks full of gear. Cameras didn't catch anything. Does your apartment have a trash valet service? Wasn't them in my case but the manager at my apartment told me they had burglary problems with the people working for the trash service. Since they have access to the building and come late at night, it makes it easy for them to steal stuff and not be noticed.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I can sympathize. Had almost the same thing happen to me at my apartment. Gated parking structure, second floor. Burglar smashed my left rear window and stole two backpacks full of gear. Cameras didn't catch anything. Does your apartment have a trash valet service? Wasn't them in my case but the manager at my apartment told me they had burglary problems with the people working for the trash service. Since they have access to the building and come late at night, it makes it easy for them to steal stuff and not be noticed.
We have trash chutes at the end of each hallway that lead outside so we just have city sanitation - they don't have physical access to where the vehicles are parked. I still feel it's someone here at the apartment. Mine was the ONLY one that was burglarized and you would have to be familiar with the navigation of the stairwells. Is 2020 over yet!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2 more months, home stretch haha. Yeah if the cameras on the doors and gate didn't catch anyone, I'd suspect someone living there or someone visiting.
That's my thought! The garage has 6 floors and you can't see my Jeep from outside the garage. You need to be in the garage and on the floor that it's parked on. My guess is they won't catch the bastard(s) but who knows.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
That's my thought! The garage has 6 floors and you can't see my Jeep from outside the garage. You need to be in the garage and on the floor that it's parked on. My guess is they won't catch the bastard(s) but who knows.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, but yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think the police usually make burglaries like this their top priority.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Years ago, I owned a 1988 VW Golf. That particular generation had OEM head units that were notoriously easy to remove. This was pre-Internet, but I guess thieves have their own network regarding such things because one morning I came out to observe one of the quarter windows cleanly punched, and the door ajar. (The car was parked on the street, in front of my parents' house).

The head unit was still in situ, though, and nothing else was disturbed. I'd guess the miscreant(s) were put off the idea when they observed the purpose-built security cable that anchored the cassette deck to the steering wheel. Pulling the cable forcefully out of the head unit was possible, but it was plainly evident that doing so would damage the cassette mechanism, possibly beyond economical repair.

Thieves weren't the only one with networks in those days. The good guys knew how to harden what they owned.

I got a police report, and my insurance paid for the quarter window replacement without any fuss. That car was traded in ~1 year later on my 1995 YJ.

And please forgive me for admitting that I chuckled along with @Ohio Hiker when I too noticed that your Kohl's Cash coupon was left behind. :)

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear about the incident.

Once had a dirt bag steal stuff out of my truck when I was bush-hogging.
Called local convenience stores until I found a store where that dirt bag bought a bunch of cigs using the cash from my wallet and credit cards. Turned out to be a neighbor's kid.
Long story short, he just got out of prison and was on a crime spree.
Got 22 years with no parole for his post prison activities.
Since his brother was in prison for life, guess he wanted to see his brother again.

Also amazing the amount of stuff that will show up on CL, Flee-Bay, pawn shops, and used sporting good stores (there's another story...).

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Years ago, I owned a 1988 VW Golf. That particular generation had OEM head units that were notoriously easy to remove. This was pre-Internet, but I guess thieves have their own network regarding such things because one morning I came out to observe one of the quarter windows cleanly punched, and the door ajar. (The car was parked on the street, in front of my parents' house).

The head unit was still in situ, though, and nothing else was disturbed. I'd guess the miscreant(s) were put off the idea when they observed the purpose-built security cable that anchored the cassette deck to the steering wheel. Pulling the cable forcefully out of the head unit was possible, but it was plainly evident that doing so would damage the cassette mechanism, possibly beyond economical repair.

Thieves weren't the only one with networks in those days. The good guys knew how to harden what they owned.

I got a police report, and my insurance paid for the quarter window replacement without any fuss. That car was traded in ~1 year later on my 1995 YJ.

And please forgive me for admitting that I chuckled along with @Ohio Hiker when I too noticed that your Kohl's Cash coupon was left behind. :)
It is pretty funny if you think about it. They have some sense of style since they stole my Tommy Bahama shirts but left the Kohls cash!

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m really sorry to hear about your break in and damage to your Jeep. I worked in industrial security in a warehouse for 40 years dealing with thieves like this.. Retired now, but still hold a passionate hatred for low lifeā€™s who take others peopleā€™s stuff. May they all rot in H...
There, I feel better :blush:

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™m really sorry to hear about your break in and damage to your Jeep. I worked in industrial security in a warehouse for 40 years dealing with thieves like this.. Retired now, but still hold a passionate hatred for low lifeā€™s who take others peopleā€™s stuff. May they all rot in H...
There, I feel better :blush:
I agree! I know at this point the best the police can do for me is record the incident and file the report for the insurance company so I can get my window fixed and maybe some cash to replace my glasses (won't hold my breath on the latter). The management office mentioned extending the hours for the security guard but it was already in the window when they drive / walk through the property. Security can't be everywhere all the time and the police have to prioritize their response to things like this. Appreciate everything they do especially since they put their lives on the line every time they put that uniform on.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear this happened. I Have also been a victim of theft due to easy access through the soft top, and it's extremely frustrating. It's not so much the value of the lost items, it's just the fact that it happened. Theft almost makes sense when they see something specific that they want, but in cases like this they're just rummaging around HOPING to find something worth taking/selling. It's the complete lack of respect for other people's property that annoyed me the most.
My experience is exactly why I have a hardtop. Mine occurred on a rental while on our honeymoon, so when I ordered my JL (my first Wrangler ever) I didn't even consider the soft top as an option.

And for those who say the thief will simply break my window.... Not without a lot of effort and drawing attention to themselves. I have security film on my windows. I highly recommend adding it to your hardtop and door windows. It won't help if you keep using the soft top but it will protect you during the season when you switch it out.
For any of you who haven't see this stuff in action, it's very effective. It's not the brand I use but the video shows the benefit of security tint.
Thanks for posting this! Do you mind indicating which brand of security film you use? I have a base sport (no alarm) and would like to invest in this!
Sponsored