Used Jeep values

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My girlfriend is looking at potentially buying a Jeep Wranger Unlimited early next year. I am the car guy, household mechanic and I am good with finances. I started doing my research on them and it was a little bit of a sticker shock to see how expensive these are and how the options really add up quick. The bare minimum Jeep she is looking at low $40k's but the way she ideally wants it optioned is right around $50k. She suggested to just buy a used Jeep. I started looking at used ones, the JL ones with reasonable miles don't seem like a deal at all. She might as buy a new one. Even the 2015-2018 JK are much more than I would have expected as well, most them are $30k+.

Are the used Wrangler prices usually this high? or is this due to COVID-19?
Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My girlfriend is looking at potentially buying a Jeep Wranger Unlimited early next year. I am the car guy, household mechanic and I am good with finances. I started doing my research on them and it was a little bit of a sticker shock to see how expensive these are and how the options really add up quick. The bare minimum Jeep she is looking at low $40k's but the way she ideally wants it optioned is right around $50k. She suggested to just buy a used Jeep. I started looking at used ones, the JL ones with reasonable miles don't seem like a deal at all. She might as buy a new one. Even the 2015-2018 JK are much more than I would have expected as well, most them are $30k+.

Are the used Wrangler prices usually this high? or is this due to COVID-19?
They hold their value. A recent article had Wranglers listed as the 3rd best vehicle for resale behind the Tundra and Tacoma I believe.

Personally, I would suggest going with a new JL over the previous JK. The differences are huge.

Ed_Word

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same situation. I was looking at buying a used JK Rubicon for no more than 30k. Around that price range they all had 90k+ miles, used jeeps are expensive here in so cal, my credit union refered me to enterprise car sales and I purchased a 2019 JL Sport S with only 17k miles for only 30k.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It is a combination of factors: (1) Wranglers hold their value well; (2) FCA keeps jacking up prices at every turn; and (3) the COVID shutdowns last spring have resulted in a general shortage of vehicles.

I saw an article that new vehicle inventories are at their lowest level since 2011, when we were coming out of the Great Recesssion.

I agree, prices of vehicles in general, and Wranglers in particular, are totally nuts. According to KBB, my JL is now worth $8,000 more than what I paid 10 months ago.

On the other hand, tax & license alone on a $55,000 vehicle is $5,000...!

Pfft...I don’t think so...

Artdnj

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUHR just stolen
I was in the same boat in late 2015 and bought new. Unfortunately my Jeep was stolen and I am again on the hunt, I can order new cheaper than many 2 year old JLU's...it is what it is

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Before Covid, I came to the same conclusion. With options, the JL gets expensive. I looked at used, and decided that the savings were insufficient.

My wife and I just keep deferring the decision.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
You will have to wait untill 2022 to see reasonable prices on used JLs and dealer discounts. --- when Bronco awaible at dealership lots.
But I do agree for 50k you can buy alot more if you were to consider SUV. Fully loaded Sahara should not exceed $45k.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Just posted this on a different thread, but just as relevant here. Deals are out there...

43C3FF27-F0AE-46EA-B07C-15B89679ABF2.png
Sponsored