Upgrading Non-Alpine Audio

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sure Ill be glad to considering most people on this site have no experience with Jeep wrangler at all and this is their first jeep ever. Which means most are in the demographic 35-56 first time jeep owners. Thant means most of them have no background or history of "customizing" jeeps and thus have no mechanical knowledge to self install a stereo much less a suspension lift etc.
Are you describing yourself?
Sponsored

JPGirl

First Name
Candace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wrangler Sport TJ, 2018 Wrangler Sport JL, 1989 VW Vanagon Syncro, 1979 VW Bus, 1958 BMW Isetta, a Pinzgauer, and 15+ other VW Vanagons & Buses to mention...
Occupation
VA & SAHM
Vehicle Showcase
Like yourself, I too decided to not go with the Alpine upgrade. I said to myself, "How bad could the stereo with the 7" display be?" Well... Bad. It was really bad. Especially with the doors and roof off. Couldn't hardly hear anything and if you turn it up too loud it just sounds awful.

So I decided to do something about it. I didn't want to change the head unit because I like the stock look and honestly didn't want to travel down that road.

I had the following installed.

4 of these https://www.kicker.com/44KSC404
2 in knee panels and 2 in the roll bar.
This amp.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC7005/Kenwood-KAC-7005PS.html
And this sub.
https://www.kicker.com/comp-c-12-svc-subwoofer

And holy shit it sounds good! Total for the hardware and installation was $700.00.

Couldn't be happier with this upgrade.

I'm debating on ordering the 3.5 kickers for the dash and roll bar. Just to finish it off.

Would you still need the amp/sub with these particular kickers? I am not a newbie at this, but I usually don't get much of a say in the stereo upgrades.

I was hoping for a powered sub - because I want something simple.

My hubs is a car audio guru (used to compete, back in the days when we were younger), but I am trying to do this completely by myself this time around (with the help of this forum, LOL).
I already changed out the 2 sets of 2.5" with these - https://amzn.to/2zoHmL2 but I would like to change out the other ones, too and really want a sub {..a small powered sub}.:blush:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Would you still need the amp/sub with these particular kickers? I am not a newbie at this, but I usually don't get much of a say in the stereo upgrades.

I was hoping for a powered sub - because I want something simple.

My hubs is a car audio guru (used to compete, back in the days when we were younger), but I am trying to do this completely by myself this time around (with the help of this forum, LOL).
I already changed out the 2 sets of 2.5" with these - https://amzn.to/2zoHmL2 but I would like to change out the other ones, too and really want a sub {..a small powered sub}.:blush:
Candace, you can work out the sub addition fairly easily. Replacing the 4-inch speakers, without amplifying them won't get you too much. The Ohm load (resistance) the stock head unit requires won't likely match the speakers being added. With the 3.5's you replaced, it probably wasn't a big deal, since they were just complementing the existing 4-inch speakers and run in parallel. When you replace the 4-inch speakers, the head unit won't turn those channels on unless the speaker resistance is the same as the stock system. I have a rather wordy write-up (yes, longer than this one) on this topic in the "Adding and Aftermarket Amp(s)" thread.

I typically share this with anyone who will listen: Before you start tinkering, make sure you think through what your long-term goal is. Do you simply want to tweak the existing system a bit, or do you truly want a high-quality sound system? Either is fine, but tinkering a bit, when you really want a higher-end system will likely result in you purchasing and replacing components two and three times over. That can get expensive and result in you spending more than if you had just bought the components you wanted in the first place.

If you just want to tweak things a bit, you've already replaced the stock 2.5's with the Kicker 3.5's, so step one is complete. The only other thing I'd recommend, if this is indeed your chosen path, would be to add an aftermarket sub. On this path, you can get away with an all-in-one amp/sub system. Something like the JL Audio PowerWedge Plus, or the other brands in that range (Alpine, Kicker, etc.), will work for you. To step that up a bit, I'd actually recommend a separate amp and sub combination. While the separate sub and amp combination costs a bit more, the quality far surpasses the combo units, if paired up properly.

If the above isn't really what you were thinking of doing, and you wanted a higher quality system with more flexibility and control, then I'd have to refer you to the previously mentioned thread.

So, before going too much further, let us know what you're shooting for long-term, and we'll do our best to help.

PS: There's a section in that other thread related exclusively to adding a sub-woofer, so if you chose to only add the sub, that one or two paragraph section is all you'll need. Hope this helps!

JPGirl

First Name
Candace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wrangler Sport TJ, 2018 Wrangler Sport JL, 1989 VW Vanagon Syncro, 1979 VW Bus, 1958 BMW Isetta, a Pinzgauer, and 15+ other VW Vanagons & Buses to mention...
Occupation
VA & SAHM
Vehicle Showcase
Candace, you can work out the sub addition fairly easily. Replacing the 4-inch speakers, without amplifying them won't get you too much. The Ohm load (resistance) the stock head unit requires won't likely match the speakers being added. With the 3.5's you replaced, it probably wasn't a big deal, since they were just complementing the existing 4-inch speakers and run in parallel. When you replace the 4-inch speakers, the head unit won't turn those channels on unless the speaker resistance is the same as the stock system. I have a rather wordy write-up (yes, longer than this one) on this topic in the "Adding and Aftermarket Amp(s)" thread.

I typically share this with anyone who will listen: Before you start tinkering, make sure you think through what your long-term goal is. Do you simply want to tweak the existing system a bit, or do you truly want a high-quality sound system? Either is fine, but tinkering a bit, when you really want a higher-end system will likely result in you purchasing and replacing components two and three times over. That can get expensive and result in you spending more than if you had just bought the components you wanted in the first place.

If you just want to tweak things a bit, you've already replaced the stock 2.5's with the Kicker 3.5's, so step one is complete. The only other thing I'd recommend, if this is indeed your chosen path, would be to add an aftermarket sub. On this path, you can get away with an all-in-one amp/sub system. Something like the JL Audio PowerWedge Plus, or the other brands in that range (Alpine, Kicker, etc.), will work for you. To step that up a bit, I'd actually recommend a separate amp and sub combination. While the separate sub and amp combination costs a bit more, the quality far surpasses the combo units, if paired up properly.

If the above isn't really what you were thinking of doing, and you wanted a higher quality system with more flexibility and control, then I'd have to refer you to the previously mentioned thread.

So, before going too much further, let us know what you're shooting for long-term, and we'll do our best to help.

PS: There's a section in that other thread related exclusively to adding a sub-woofer, so if you chose to only add the sub, that one or two paragraph section is all you'll need. Hope this helps!
Michael, Thanks a bunch!! I have read through a few of those threads and was still a bit on the fence as to what I wanted to do exactly because of the technical aspects, but this helps. :like:

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
For those add poly-fill, are you adding it to the Sound Bar behind the 4" I wonder because the 4" looks ported, so adding poly-fill may mess with that port tuning.

I can't tell what freq the stock 4"s are crossed/filtered at, but has anyone added mid-bass speakers instead of the presumable mid-range that are in there now?

BTW, unrelated, I found this on QT which basically tells me the stock 4" speakers are the same even with the Alpine kit, but the tweeters (top dash) are different) and ofc there is an Alpine amp and also the sub w/powered-amp...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/alpine/full-sound-system-upgrade-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

Last edited:

Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
For those add poly-fill, are you adding it to the Sound Bar behind the 4" I wonder because the 4" looks ported, so adding poly-fill may mess with that port tuning.

I can't tell what freq the stock 4"s are crossed/filtered at, but has anyone added mid-bass speakers instead of the presumable mid-range that are in there now?

BTW, unrelated, I found this on QT which basically tells me the stock 4" speakers are the same even with the Alpine kit, but the tweeters (top dash) are different) and ofc there is an Alpine amp and also the sub w/powered-amp...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/alpine/full-sound-system-upgrade-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl
I have a scheduled installation of this new Alpine stock system upgrade next Tuesday.

Will definitely post a review on this forum (I'll give it its own thread so it's easier for people to find). Can't wait to hear and feel the difference.

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a scheduled installation of this new Alpine stock system upgrade next Tuesday.

Will definitely post a review on this forum (I'll give it its own thread so it's easier for people to find). Can't wait to hear and feel the difference.
Are you happy with the end result? Looking into this system myself, and looking for feedback from those that have it....

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Are you happy with the end result? Looking into this system myself, and looking for feedback from those that have it....
Sorry for the delay, it's been a hell of a week....

It's a MAJOR upgrade and I'm glad I did it for a few reasons;

1. Ease. I took it to an installer and they were done in under two hours. Everything is plug and play. You pull the seat out, pop in the bracket, hook up the wires and boom, you have yourself a beautiful, improved Alpine sound system. I'm sure those who have experience handling electronic installations won't need to bring it to a professional installer. In fact, I know you wouldn't have to. The instruction manual is well spelled out and has great graphics next to each step to make sure you're in the right area.

2. The bass in my music DOES exist! I knew it was there. Really though, the subwoofer and amp add an incredible depth to the music that is so obviously lost with the stock system. Looking back, I should have waited and just ordered a JLU with the Alpine already installed, but the deal I got on my rig was too good to pass up at the dealer so I jumped on it.

3. I can finally use the "low volume tuning" feature that's in the sound setting app. The music was lost when that was turned on with the stock system, but with the new Alpine hook up you MUST have that on. It's a world of difference and really lets you hear all the instruments. It's beautiful.

I'd highly recommend it. Is it priced high for what you get? Probably. Are there better speaker/sub combo options that can be bought separately and installed yourself? Sure. But the convenience with the bracket and everything being 100% plug and play, it's a great system for someone like me and I'm glad I did it.

I can try to take some photos of the amp/sub/bracket setup under the seat later today and post them here. I just have a few things to take off for work on the computer.

Recommended!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the delay, it's been a hell of a week....

It's a MAJOR upgrade and I'm glad I did it....

Recommended!
Thank you so much for posting the review. I really hope they have plans to release a version for the 2 door.

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
is there still space for rear passengers' feet to slide under the front seat?
i think the sub mounts towards the rear of that front seat.

Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
is there still space for rear passengers' feet to slide under the front seat?
i think the sub mounts towards the rear of that front seat.
Probably 3-4 inches under the seat. Your feet would still go to the end of the floor mat, if that helps.....

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
awesome. thank you for the info.
looks like a nice upgrade. clean too.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the middle of doing it now. It sounds great but the bracket for the seat is causing me a huge headache right now so I said I'll just finish it tomorrow. But it's pretty much an easy install. I did the 3.5" kicker in the roll bar as well as this, and man I'm happy with. If I can get that damn seat lined up lol

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the middle of doing it now. It sounds great but the bracket for the seat is causing me a huge headache right now so I said I'll just finish it tomorrow. But it's pretty much an easy install. I did the 3.5" kicker in the roll bar as well as this, and man I'm happy with. If I can get that damn seat lined up lol
Nice! Be sure to post a review once you have the install finished.
Just curious, What kind of problems is the seat bracket giving you?
Sponsored