Sponsored

Upgrading knee speakers. Dash removal?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Was it worth doing the 6.5 upgrade?
Yes, without a doubt. Granted I have 4 of the Hertz Milli and 2 shallow twelves in the rear along with a pair of Wet Sounds Rev 10 running through an 8 channel processor. I am able to run top and door off on the highway and increase the volume to the point there is only music and no road noise.
Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I have searched through the forums and have not found anyone explaining how to swap out the knee speakers. Do I have to remove the whole dash?
bump
That YouTube video did not show the driver side of the dash being taken apart to access the knee speaker.

ENadeau

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I replaced the knee speakers with the Metra pods and 6.5ā€ not to long ago. Thereā€™s a handheld of threads dedicated to it and I still had this one bookmarked,

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ass-blocker-d-i-y-wiring-harness.12738/page-2

Post #16 is a solid description of the process. While it is doable to install the pods without removing the dash, I highly recommend sucking it up and taking it all apart. If you leave it on, there are a few tight doors where youā€™ll be need to bend some trim pieces. I got to the point where I felt like if I bent them anymore they would break so I ended up pulling it all apart.

Iā€™ve never worked on a vehicle before but taking the dash off, while time consuming, wasnā€™t bad at all. There are a few ā€œhiddenā€ screws to watch out for and having a 7mm wrench helped in a few tight spots.

I may still have the instructions Crutchfield sent along with the pods and speakers. Iā€™ll see if I can dig those up and pass them along.

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
looks bad
if I only want to get the left knee panel off how far to tge right do I have to dissassemble? I am trying to mount a custom switch gang bracket right below the light switch knob/dimmer. control.

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; 2018 Jaguar F Pace
Itā€™s a lot of work. Some hidden screws. Good videos out there. Crutchfield will send instructions. So will Metra if you buy the boxes. They are slightly different. Itā€™s a few hour process.

By far the best bang for the buck is replacing the speakers on the top of the dash.

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Itā€™s not so bad.

CFE59757-4051-4ECB-8BA0-1FE7ADB5BEB1.jpeg
Hey thanks for the pic. Did you mount a tweeter with the hertz woofer or just toss it? Does the OEM grill fit over the woofer with the Hertz cover?

Thanks

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
if I only want to get the left knee panel off how far to tge right do I have to dissassemble? I am trying to mount a custom switch gang bracket right below the light switch knob/dimmer. control.

U ever get that done? I'm doing same for pods under steering wheel

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I installed these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS3/Focal-Performance-165AS3.html?tp=106
I have a neighbor who has a laser cutter who was able to make a bracket for the 3" in the dash. Jeep thought they would be cute and make a random "bracket" with an odd shape. I mounted the crossover on the side close to where your left foot would rest against the sidewall. Pretty easy other than the dash removal. šŸ˜
I also bought these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_327JTSA065/SSV-Works-JJT-SA065.html?tp=110 and replaced the overhead bar speakers with 2-way 6.5's.
I ran a single 12" in the back: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136112TGW3/JL-Audio-CS112TG-TW3.html
I also used a 1000W amp for the front speakers.
If you run an amp I would HIGHLY recommend running power around to the driver's side to reduce noise. A lot of people have issues with a slight buzz because of interference. It's simple to be honest. There is a rubber stopper that you can pop out, cut a hole through and feed the power cable through. I ran it under the carpet. I mounted the amp under the passenger seat. It was all completely hidden.
Good Luck!
Sponsored