Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone let me know how to access the lower dash speakers? Thanks for the help.
You have to pop the side dash panels on the driver and passenger side (body clips only, no screws). Under those panels are a number of screws. You should be able to see which ones hold the front dash in place, as they'll be the ones tied to the dash itself, which is most of them. Remove those screws. There's also a screw that's recessed in that area, and it (if memory serves) connects to the kick panel enclosure. It's very difficult to see, and don't tell anyone, but I never replaced that one when I put my stuff back together. Shhhhhhh!

Next, remove the glove compartment door (there's a "latch" inside and at the top of the compartment door that you use to release the door), and also remove the panel underneath the steering column (body clips only, no screws - pull it straight out). This will reveal more screws holding the dash in place, and you'll need to remove those.

There are two additional fasteners holding the speaker enclosures in place, and you may have to use a small ratchet with an extension to remove them (I think the screws are the same size as the ones you've been removing. Since we're not removing the entire dash, you'll need to engage your contortion skills to maneuver a tool in there to remove the top fasteners holding each of the enclosures in. The bottom one on each side is easy, it's the top one on each side that is a pain. It's kinda' tough, but can be done with patience.

Next, disconnect the molex-type plugs connected to the speaker enclosures. Your driver-side speaker enclosure also has something called a "Gateway" attached to the back of it. You'll want to disconnect those plugs as well. When you put everything back together, and your radio doesn't work, it's probably because you forgot to plug the gateway's cables back in. That was 30 minutes of troubleshooting time I could have saved had I remembered that step.

From there, you should be able to pull the dash section on each side of your Jeep out enough to "pivot" the speaker enclosure out. Don't pull to hard, as you don't want to crease your panels. There's a bit of an art to it, but it's fairly straight-forward once you're in there. If you've missed any screws, you'll know right away. Just be patient. Nothing has to be forced in order to be removed and/or replaced.

I'm confident I've missed something, but reach out if you run into anything other than what I've described, or if I can further clarify anything above.
Sponsored

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
Just upgraded to these today. Awesome
Sound for a great price. Same day delivery on Amazon!
Is there any other Kicker comparable speakers like this for the other speaker in the sound bar or the lower dash speakers?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Is there any other Kicker comparable speakers like this for the other speaker in the sound bar or the lower dash speakers?
I've searched high and low but haven't found anything. I can't even find a 4" speaker with the same 3-screw pattern! :headbang:

JJJEEEEEEPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
So the kicker speakers mentioned here do not have a capacitor whereas the factory ones do.
Is there any need to add a capacitor to kickers to block any frequencies ? Why does the factory speaker has it ?

Sponsored

fishhawg

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2- 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL sport S
So the kicker speakers mentioned here do not have a capacitor whereas the factory ones do.
Is there any need to add a capacitor to kickers to block any frequencies ? Why does the factory speaker has it ?
I have added all kicker speakers to my jeep and did not need capacitors, the only screw mounts that did not match up where at the top, so I just made new ones. ( top above your head, sound bar)

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Just completed the upper dash and soundbar change to the Mopar Kicker 77KICK25AB. $117.88 for 2xpair from Amazon. Much better high frequency response - I like the sound image better than the Sahara stock. Took all of 30 minutes. Easy. Now, just need to add a underseat subwoofer to make the system completely acceptable.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Added high pass filters from parts express...was going to make my own, but for 3$ each...why bother...took about 15 minutes to install using butt connectors on the positive side. I could here the little dash speakers being abused at higher volume....these eliminated that by taking the bass out. I will do some more listening while cruising and see if I need to tweek/mod any other components. So far, other than the dash speakers, I have no negative complaints. I have the sport S JLU with the sub in the rear.
IMG_20190901_105932.jpg
IMG_20190901_103323_01.jpg

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Added high pass filters from parts express...was going to make my own, but for 3$ each...why bother...took about 15 minutes to install using butt connectors on the positive side. I could here the little dash speakers being abused at higher volume....these eliminated that by taking the bass out. I will do some more listening while cruising and see if I need to tweek/mod any other components. So far, other than the dash speakers, I have no negative complaints. I have the sport S JLU with the sub in the rear.
Good idea! Yes, it does sound abused trying to play the bass. That's what I'm hearing too.

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone know what is the polarity of the wires is - in front top dash speakers 3.5" ? I am installing JL speaker and need to splice the wires? Thanks
"

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
You have to pop the side dash panels on the driver and passenger side (body clips only, no screws). Under those panels are a number of screws. You should be able to see which ones hold the front dash in place, as they'll be the ones tied to the dash itself, which is most of them. Remove those screws. There's also a screw that's recessed in that area, and it (if memory serves) connects to the kick panel enclosure. It's very difficult to see, and don't tell anyone, but I never replaced that one when I put my stuff back together. Shhhhhhh!

Next, remove the glove compartment door (there's a "latch" inside and at the top of the compartment door that you use to release the door), and also remove the panel underneath the steering column (body clips only, no screws - pull it straight out). This will reveal more screws holding the dash in place, and you'll need to remove those.

There are two additional fasteners holding the speaker enclosures in place, and you may have to use a small ratchet with an extension to remove them (I think the screws are the same size as the ones you've been removing. Since we're not removing the entire dash, you'll need to engage your contortion skills to maneuver a tool in there to remove the top fasteners holding each of the enclosures in. The bottom one on each side is easy, it's the top one on each side that is a pain. It's kinda' tough, but can be done with patience.

Next, disconnect the molex-type plugs connected to the speaker enclosures. Your driver-side speaker enclosure also has something called a "Gateway" attached to the back of it. You'll want to disconnect those plugs as well. When you put everything back together, and your radio doesn't work, it's probably because you forgot to plug the gateway's cables back in. That was 30 minutes of troubleshooting time I could have saved had I remembered that step.

From there, you should be able to pull the dash section on each side of your Jeep out enough to "pivot" the speaker enclosure out. Don't pull to hard, as you don't want to crease your panels. There's a bit of an art to it, but it's fairly straight-forward once you're in there. If you've missed any screws, you'll know right away. Just be patient. Nothing has to be forced in order to be removed and/or replaced.

I'm confident I've missed something, but reach out if you run into anything other than what I've described, or if I can further clarify anything above.
thanks

DarkhorseJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2.0L (owned 12 other Jeeps)
Occupation
Behavioral / Clinical Psychologist
i know it's4 years too late 😂 - maybe you've figured it out by now BUT, yes, Kicker makes complete upgrades. I'm not only a professional audio installer but have been personally sponsored by Kicker for 6 years with my RX7 FD, both of my MX5 track and show cars, my JTR and my JLR. That said, the 3.5" dash isn't a typical replacement, instead of a simple 2 lead terminal wire that connects to the speaker like most, it's a 3 lead bc it has a built in crossover and bass blocker that is required to get proper sound without clip. The knee/kick panel has 2 options, you can either use the upgraded 4" Kicker D, CS or KS series (just like the others or you can opt fora Metra JP-1014 (part number) and upgrade to a 6.5/6.75 as I did. The roll/sound bar is another level of possibilities. You can replace it with 3.5/4" speaker combos and takes under 45min to replace both again using a 3 wire install for just the 3.5". OR you can purchase the SSV Works adapter which can mount a single 6.5/6.75 and if you cut the hole, you can add a 1-1.5" tweeter - directly through SSV or Crutchfield even XT or Northbridge 4x4 but it ranges from $100-120. MB Quart makes a wonderful adapter that's about $80 from Crutchfield, you can mount, after cutting away the plastic (takes about an hour but if you use the rivnuts to remove the chamber, it's quicker), all said and done, you can mount any level of Kicker 6x9 or whatever manufacturer you choose and produce 100w RMS/300w peak from a KCS466904. Add a 4 channel and you can power the kick/knee panel andwhatever option you choose for speaker upgrade in the sound bar to full range and peak power.

even though my speakers were all free, retail, you can upgrade everything to my speaker level (sans amplified) for $50 (each3.5"), $65 (each 4") and the 6x9s for $120. So $335 for the full upgrade or $235 for straight swap.

Kickjump14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL 2 dr 3.6L
Saw this post and had just started replacing speaking and adding and amp/sub thought I’d share. Top dash took all of 30 minutes to do and seriously a night and day difference in the clarity and power from Kicker. Installing marine grade Polk audio 6.5’s in the rear sound at this weekend

0F1BE543-CA06-4497-AD31-1FB795A7AB8E.jpeg

CB7BD10B-AE5E-4C11-90AA-AE746AF5002D.jpeg

29B82AFB-CC53-4D0C-AADD-4999833811FE.jpeg

cpawlFL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JBL Club 3.5” on the dash and sound bar. Way louder and better clarity. Simple and cheap upgrade.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash speaker replacement/stock bass blocker/D.I.Y. wiring harness 8217409B-556E-4F34-8005-9CA9FC447ABB

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash speaker replacement/stock bass blocker/D.I.Y. wiring harness 15DCEF57-D58B-42C3-8504-AB2785611908

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash speaker replacement/stock bass blocker/D.I.Y. wiring harness F2622D91-3EFF-4D1F-85D7-F19313BA3B9F

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Old thread, but wanted to add that there is a 3 hole mount 4" speaker from Kicker.
It can be found here. I haven't installed mine yet. Trying to figure out the best way to trim the 4 hole mount tabs so I can use the 3 hole adapter. I also bought the metra harness. 72-6514 for the soundbar, and rumor has it that the polarity should be double checked to make sure the 4" speakers don't end up "out of phase". I haven't installed mine yet (waiting for the temps to get a little better than freezing), but I will post an update on my findings for the polarity problem with the adapters cables. ;)
Sponsored