Understanding JL Rake

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
So I know that stock 4door JLs tend to have a front rake with a higher rear and stock 2door JLs have a high nose and saggy rear. My question is, what causes the rake? Is it the springs or something on the car itself? If I put 4door springs on a 2door, what type of rake should I expect? Will the two door take on the the rake of the 4door springs or is it the other way around?
Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
IDK but my 2 door drives me nuts, I want a 2" lift just to get proper spring rates and a level ride height.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Rene,

Typically it's due to the weigh of the vehicle. Jeep's with plastic front and rear bumpers will ride higher than those with steel bumpers. Also, any add-on modifications such as winches, bull bars, armor etc. and where they are placed will determine the load on either the front or rear suspension.

[Edited]
In addition, many Jeepers will add ride-leveling spacers to correct whatever rake they are desiring. Personally I do like either a level or slightly nose down appearance. But to each their own. That's the really cool thing about Jeeps; you can modify them any which way you want, to your heart's content.

Jay

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Check my thread here, have 4dr Rubi springs on my 2 dr, eventually added 3/4" front spacer to level it out after I added 180lbs worth of bumper & winch. 2dr was pretty level after the Rubi swap prior to the bumper/winch install.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Will do BL! I hate the high nose that comes from a factory two door. I was contemplating putting a 1/2” spacer in the back for good measure just to be sure. Also, have you heard anything about the spring combos on the 21 rubis? I have a set of takeoffs from a 4 door Rubi with hardtop, the numbers are super low. Shock numbers are also different I don’t recognize them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Rene,

Typically it's due to the weigh of the vehicle. Jeep's with plastic front and rear bumpers will ride higher than those with steel bumpers. Also, any add-on modifications such as winches, bull bars, armor etc. and where they are placed will determine the load on either the front or rear suspension.

[Edited]
In addition, many Jeepers will add ride-leveling spacers to correct whatever rake they are desiring. Personally I do like either a level or slightly nose down appearance. But to each their own. That's the really cool thing about Jeeps; you can modify them any which way you want, to your heart's content.

Jay
I’d prefer a level stance but would also not be upset with a slight nose down stance. Trying to get it all done in one pass.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Will do BL! I hate the high nose that comes from a factory two door. I was contemplating putting a 1/2” spacer in the back for good measure just to be sure. Also, have you heard anything about the spring combos on the 21 rubis? I have a set of takeoffs from a 4 door Rubi with hardtop, the numbers are super low. Shock numbers are also different I don’t recognize them.
Probably a Diesel takeoff which would give you even higher lift. What are the spring numbers?

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Probably a Diesel takeoff which would give you even higher lift. What are the spring numbers?
89/90AA and 57/58AD adding a picture of the shocks below. This setup was given to me when I bought my Rubi takeoff wheels and tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake B23BA368-1770-4EA9-9339-33AF153633D8

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
89/90AA and 57/58AD adding a picture of the shocks below. This setup was given to me when I bought my Rubi takeoff wheels and tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake B23BA368-1770-4EA9-9339-33AF153633D8
I don’t believe those springs are from a Rubicon. Hmmm. Here is a list that someone posted here on the forum. Weird can’t find an exact combo match. Don’t pay attention to red outline, was part of screenshot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake A1A8AC28-AFAC-43BF-A846-43EEEEDD7811

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
I don’t believe those springs are from a Rubicon. Hmmm. Here is a list that someone posted here on the forum. Weird can’t find an exact combo match. Don’t pay attention to red outline, was part of screenshot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake A1A8AC28-AFAC-43BF-A846-43EEEEDD7811
Strange... I know the guy fairly well. He took off wheels tires and suspension at 400miles. I’ve seen his Jl it’s a Rubi 4door with hardtop. I haven’t seen many take offs from 21s posted on here. I’d be interested in seeing spring numbers to compare.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Rene,

Just for reference here's a pic of my rig getting home after a typical afternoon adventure in the foothills and mountains of my Colorado back yard. I went with the 2.5" (actually almost 3") Mopar lift instead of Rubi takeoffs. That's because I opted for the 35" tires. Everything looks great at the moment, but as soon as I add the steel front bumper and winch, I too may be adding 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers up front. Hopefully the nose down result may not be that bad and so I can do without. We'll soon see.

So many (many) options.
Good luck.

Jay

IMG_20200801_200058.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe that was from a Willys since they have the Red Rubicon shocks but the shorter Sport/Sahara spring combos???

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Maybe that was from a Willys since they have the Red Rubicon shocks but the shorter Sport/Sahara spring combos???
Possibly. I know the guy fairly well and seen his rig it’s definitely a Rubi. No tow or steel bumper but it did have a hard top. This one has got me stumped.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rene,

Just for reference here's a pic of my rig getting home after a typical afternoon adventure in the foothills and mountains of my Colorado back yard. I went with the 2.5" (actually almost 3") Mopar lift instead of Rubi takeoffs. That's because I opted for the 35" tires. Everything looks great at the moment, but as soon as I add the steel front bumper and winch, I too may be adding 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers up front. Hopefully the nose down result may not be that bad and so I can do without. We'll soon see.

So many (many) options.
Good luck.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake IMG_20200801_200058
Jay. looks good as always ^^^
Might consider the Rugged Ridge 3/4" front spacer, it works fine for the JL even though it only list JK applications. Just have to remove the rubber prongs in the OEM isolators and mark the bump stops to keep the orientation proper since the isolators have an angle to them. This assumes your Mopar lift uses the OEM isolators or ones that have the location prongs :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding JL Rake 1605465016200

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Possibly. I know the guy fairly well and seen his rig it’s definitely a Rubi. No tow or steel bumper but it did have a hard top. This one has got me stumped.
That is strange as those numbers seem to be in the JLU Sahara range. I wouldn't install them since you really won't gain any lift there, if you indeed have the Red Rubi shocks all you need are springs. Of course getting a new Rubi take off set from a heavy 4dr Rubi and having an extra set of shocks isn't a bad thing either :)
Sponsored