Underseat Lockbox for a firearm.

AdamH

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4Xe
I’m sure Tuffy will have one out before long. I use their products in all my Jeeps. Just sit tight

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I have a CCP and my firearm is kept on the underside of the dash in the driver foot well with a magnet...but i live in a state with lax gun laws.
Pics? Love to try this myself!!

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Pics? Love to try this myself!!
There's a couple of different options out there. The magnet mounts to the plastic under the steering column or to the right side of your right leg with screws and then the magnets hold onto the slide on your semi-auto handgun. I don't think I would use them with a revolver though. Also, some alloys of stainless steel are not magnetic, so they wouldn't work well with them. I also would not advise using this type with one of the handguns that has the stupid split trigger gimmick since that is most definitely NOT a safety (e.g. Glock). With those types of handguns, you should only use a hard holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

Also, you need to consider what is going to happen to the firearm during an accident. You don't want it flying around and I'm not so sure that a magnet is going to prevent that. If your vehicle ends up rolling over, will the gun stay where you put it? If I was going to mount a handgun in the foot well area, I would mount it with bolts that go through the plastic and into a metal backing plate. I would not mount it with just screws that went into the plastic.

Search for "truck gun holster magnet" and you'll find various examples for sale and reviewed on YouTube. Google Images has a pretty good selection of installations also.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
good point about accidents. I never thought about that

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
good point about accidents. I never thought about that
Well, if someone has never been upside down in a vehicle, I can understand why it might not occur to them. :)

Even without going upside down, stuff in your vehicle tends to fly all over everywhere in an accident. And if it is an accident where you are taken to the hospital and your vehicle is towed, you have now lost control of your firearm. Personally, I prefer to just keep my handgun on my waist. I figure that if somehow I'm surprised and they yank me out of my vehicle to carjack it, I want the gun with me so that I can shoot them as they try to escape.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Get your CCW permit. A gun in a locked box is absolutely useless when you need it.

California is a shall issue state. You can apply with your local sheriff department and jump through the hoops and carry a gun legally. A gun that you can actually access in a heartbeat and handle business with.
What is your source on this? The bill was defeated wasn’t it?

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I have a CCW and have been carrying for over 30 years. I do not like to leave my gun in the car, but sometimes it cannot be avoided...

I had one of those biometric lock boxes (gift from my wife) mounted in the trunk of my other car... it was flimsy, and would not open reliably; I would not recommend one.

I have flown to Alaska several times and taken two handguns with me. The airlines require a locking case, of course, and ammunition can be in the same case, as long as it is in it’s original ammo box, or a special ammo box. Before my first flight I looked at several locking gun cases, most were well over $100. I found the cases to be marginal, with cheap hinges, latches, or locks.

I made my own locking case out of a steel .50 cal ammo can. I cut a slot in the locking plate big enough for a u-bolt to clear. I bolted the u-bolt to the can with nylon nuts on the inside. I painted it black because it had “.50 cal ammunition” printed on the side and I didn’t want a baggage handler to freak out. I used a beefy padlock to lock it up. The whole thing, including the lock was less than $30. The airlines make you unlock it, and step back, so they can look inside. Then you re-lock it, and it gets checked with the other baggage. They asked me were I got it and I told them I made it. They said it was much better than the usual ones they see.

The .50 cans are kind of wide, but a .30 cal can would probably fit under the seat, on its side; and it could be bolted to the floor. Quick access ? no. Secure? Yes. And dirt cheap!

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
The glovebox and center console both lock and I use those for my firearms.
This. Of course, if I'm carrying concealed, my weapon will be holstered on my hip or readily accessible in the unlocked center console. If I'm one of those stupid jurisdictions that doesn't recognize my CCW license, I'll lock it.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
This. Of course, if I'm carrying concealed, my weapon will be holstered on my hip or readily accessible in the unlocked center console. If I'm one of those stupid jurisdictions that doesn't recognize my CCW license, I'll lock it.
As the OP noted, that's not prudent in places like CA, nor legal in places like MA when storing a CCW is necessary.

Has anyone come out with something for the 2 door JL?

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
If it fits in the console now, it should be okay. I just installed one in my JL last weekend. You actually have to assemble it in the console. It is a bit of a pain!! The amount of space you loose at the lid is minimal. The model number for the JL is 348-01. Look at it on Tuffy's website.

Do yourself a favor.......put it together to see how it goes as they recommend then disassemble and install. It will make life a bit easier.
Sponsored