OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Sorry, my fault. I haven't forumed in a very long time and all this automatic stuff is magic to me.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
What does it take to qualify as a Jeeper beyond driving a Jeep?
1) Breaking a front axle on class 4 terrain 20 miles from next vehicle and getting yourself out. 2) Ignition fuselinks bouncing around catching fire 40 miles from next vehicle in 110 degree heat and 70 mph wind, cotting down on trail overnight, getting up at 4:30 am, praying before patching the fire damage and getting yourself out. 3) Stopping to look at some cliff ruins, getting a walkie talkie call from your son 400 yards ahead saying he needs help NOW! Coming upon him and his wife watching his new Rubicon sinking in quick sand up to the tub dam tilting 40 degrees to drivers side, while still sinking, rapidly turning around, attaching a tow strap, hitting the ARBs pulling him out with a 250,000 mile 30 year old Cherokee. 4) Then on the same trip coming out of the canyon, Cherokee suddenly steers like a cabin cruiser, snapped track bar, driving out to get to Autozone 100 miles away experiencing extreme death wobble on speeds exceeding 35mph. Vehicles passing, seeing the wobble, go around with extreme caution waving very respectfully. Parts easily available; with tools, simple parking lot repair, then continuing on to wheel. 5) Lavender Canyon: pressurized reservoir boils over, auxiliary fan computer circuit fails to recognize overheating condition, requires permanent field bypass to run fan and addition of drinking water to continue wheeling; no other vehicles all day 6) Clutch throw out bearing fork collapses while rock crawling requiring starter initiated ignition in 4 low and subsequent double clutching to get out of Hole-in-the-Rock terrain East shore of Lake Powell 160 miles from nearest garage qualified to repair...then due to overcharging, continuing home another 300 miles for economic repair. 7) Emergency brake cable snaps while crawling rocks on Porcupine Rim, leaving rear brake shoes engaged, low range is the only option allowing forward progress, stopping every few 100 yards to cool brakes until a level shady spot allows disassembly of rear breaks to free up seizure to be able to continue trip while dealing with brake limitations till getting home. 8) Left side motor mount fails at 12,300 feet in American Basin requiring skillful control ascending and descending back to motel room where owner provides a proper jack to replace the easily available $10 mount. 9) Starter unexpectedly fails at motel in Vernal, Utah walking distance from Auto Zone just after wheeling at the bottom of Dinosaur National Park, Colo, 75 miles from civilization. Carry a spare starter, water pump, and high pull external fuel pump. Starter can be easily replaced in remote country. No spare starter = suffering. 10) Tranny mount slips causing drive train to shift 4" to passenger side while climbing Z turn on Moab Rim. Used a $4 cinch strap wrapped around T case and rocker guard to align drive train with come along. Have never removed setup...functioned for over 100,000 miles including a Golden Spike run till XJ stolen, pulled off driveway. Thought I got a good settlement till I've looked into the totally computer dependent JLs 11) Unit body separated while wheeling on Hell's Revenge causing chassis to drop rubbing tires. Field fixed with come along until getting to local welder. Permanently repaired with after market unibody stiffeners. 12) Rear leaf spring low member snaps while climbing Upchuck Behind the Rocks. Field removal of leaf member required to continue trip eliminating tire gouging. 13) Ignition switch mounted on steering column under dash fails requiring disassembly while getting Christmas tree in high country. Had to lower column, disassemble and bypass circuit to start Cherokee, raise column, all before 8pm. Replaced at home with push button start and inline fuse never to fail again. Always bring a come along, shovel, 48" jack and external 12v supply. When you do that you'll never need them, when you don't you'll always need them. Can't count the times even comparatively new Gel batteries needed a jump in remote situations. Never risk a computer dependent automatic tranny in back country. Moreover, a solely computer dependent Rube Goldberg starting setup only belongs on a dealer's lot. Remote Start will inevitably = Remote Stranded. Good luck with your totally electronic dependent JLUs. Love their drive-ability, but would not want my vacation and life to depend on one. Wheeling a JL, I could have never gotten myself out of any of the above situations as my old, old XJ allowed me to. Solution: Ask dealer to include a Sat phone and subscription rather than the worthless Sirius crap. Sat phones are popular for expeditions into remote areas where terrestrial cell and data services are unreliable and unavailable; those data services may include electronic start failures provided by your new JL. The new JLs have exchanged rugged, accessible mechanical simplicity for temperamental, concealed, wireless uncertainty.

1BunkingDown.JPG

70MPHGustsand it's running.JPG

Help!.jpg

Fixed!.JPG

OldRepairStillholding.JPG

GoodSpotting1.JPG

LevelTerrainAtLast.JPG

GoodSpotting2.JPG

JustFollowedtheRubi.JPG

What'sthatnoise?.JPG

Oh,That.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Oh yeah, Hardsell? Well, I uh, blew a radiator cap once. I was in bad city traffic for a long time and remember smelling it and thinking, "What idiot is super-overheating near me?" before noticing the clouds billowing out of my hood. I pulled over and opened my hood to be met with a cartoon geyser, much to the entertainment of the people around me.

In my defense, it was a car I bought off my cousin when they were thinking of buying a brand new one, and I was planning on it being a beater/extra. I wasn't told that the radiator fan had a sensor issue where it would sometimes stay on forever and kill the battery, and that my uncle's solution to the problem was to unplug the fan.

I had about 8 million people within two miles of me, so I wasn't quite as far off the beaten path as you, but may as well have been just as isolated, for all the assistance I was offered. Having full heat blasting with the windows down on that very hot and somehow alternately humid or torrential rainy day was still some pretty good type 2 fun.

Is that a photo of you TPing the desert?

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Is that a photo of you TPing the desert?[/QUOTE]

Just before using it to wipe grease. Friend wanted evidence of how strong the wind was. Don't fret; I pack out. Probably a good thing you weren't there.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Is that a photo of you TPing the desert?
Just before using it to wipe grease. Friend wanted evidence of how strong the wind was. Don't fret; I pack out. Probably a good thing you weren't there.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! My feelings, I think.

Give me a chance, I'd like to think I'm pretty handy mechanically. I can even tell those plus and minus screw drivers apart!

I bet I'd be real good at holding a U-joint or something as someone hits it with a hammer, since I can't figure out how to bring a vice without it mounted or potentially killing me. I can even help swear, nod, or shake my head at parts and situations things as needed.

Pack in/pack out, plus extra if necessary is the way to go, but I tend to value toilet paper too highly to play with it. I suppose the addition of grit from the desert wind helps with klingons? Savvy use of of local resources, I'd say.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well...if you are a dude driving a muddy Jeep around town, and you have facial hair and a craggy appearance, people assume:

1. You can fix anything with your Leatherman, duct tape, and scraps of wire.

2. You’re probably a veteran.

3. You’ve killed people and not cried about it.

4. You also own a Harley.

5. You can whup any grown man’s ass.

6. You can impregnate any female with simply a gaze.

Feel free to add to the list!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well...if you are a dude driving a muddy Jeep around town, and you have facial hair and a craggy appearance, people assume:

1. You can fix anything with your Leatherman, duct tape, and scraps of wire.

2. You’re probably a veteran.

3. You’ve killed people and not cried about it.

4. You also own a Harley.

5. You can whup any grown man’s ass.

6. You can impregnate any female with simply a gaze.

Feel free to add to the list!
One more thing to add. Ladies, don’t gaze at my profile picture for too long :CWL:
Sponsored