underseat battery??

photo2000a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps,gofastcars,luxcars,oldcars,junkers
Occupation
Engineer, Fashion Photographer, Go fast driver
I have a 2019 JLRU (4d) and wanted to mount a battery under the rear seat mostly to power some ham radio gear. Wondering if anyone has done this, could they share photos, tips, if there is any 3rd party brackets already available?? trying to not reinvent wheel... thanks!
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a 2019 JLRU (4d) and wanted to mount a battery under the rear seat mostly to power some ham radio gear. Wondering if anyone has done this, could they share photos, tips, if there is any 3rd party brackets already available?? trying to not reinvent wheel... thanks!
  • Keep it mind whether or not you wish to be able to fold down those back seats, in whole of in part.
  • I don't think the height from the interior floor to the bottom of the seat is constant irrespective of whether the seats are up or down; or to rephrase, when the seats are down, I think the clearance is slightly less.
  • If this is your location for the battery I might opt for 2 or more smaller batteries connected parallel such as to boost amperage.
  • Consider use of the electrical outlet on the rear of the console as a place to plug in a trickle charger to maintain these..but note that said outlet is only live when the vehicle is on.
  • Consider running battery cable from the engine compartment into the interior. If you have an automatic there is a plastic grommet you can go thru near the brake lever. If not, there is a grommet through the firewall I believe on all transmission models here:

• Consider hooking your vehicle up to a trickle charger when at rest. That battery cable described above can be connected to the main battery's posts, as can the trickle charger.
  • This is IMHO an awesome product to bring 110v A/C into the vehicle while at rest. One poster drilled into the front passenger's wheel well to position it's male 110 plug there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'd worry about gassing from the battery. Even my old Miata with an AGM in the trunk had a tube for gassing outside the trunk.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why not mount it underneath the vehicle and pass wires through the floor drains with grommets to seal? Seems safer, simpler, and wouldn't limit the rear seat functions.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Did you consider a prepackaged unit from jackery or goal zero or something like that ? Yes they're a bit pricey but make plug and play use a breeze.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'd go with an exterior mount simply to retain the seat's ability to fold. The clearance beneath it is minimal at best. Something as thin and compressible as a hoodie will prevent the seat from folding all the way down. Putting a battery under there will likely completely eliminate that side's ability to fold.

If you have no need to fold the seats, and never will, then it can be done. I'd put it in an enclosed box, with a vent that runs outside the vehicle.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Please note OP @photo2000a , FWIW, that Winchell's @Shots suggestion is how FCA did it on the new Hybrid Wrangler:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-mpg-e-375-horsepower-470-lb-ft-torque.57634/

Battery Pack Preserves Interior Room
The Jeep Wrangler 4xe’s 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion battery pack uses nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) graphite chemistry. The pack and controls mount underneath the second-row seat, where it is protected from outside elements. The Wrangler 4xe’s second-row seat is redesigned, allowing the bottom cushion to flip forward for access to the battery.

Encased in an aluminum housing, the pack is fitted with a dedicated heating and cooling circuit to keep the battery at its optimum temperature for best performance. The temperature control circuit includes a dedicated heater unit and a chiller that uses the Wrangler air-conditioning refrigerant to reduce coolant temperature when needed.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, I'd simply replace the battery tray in the engine compartment with one that supports two. It's a tried and true method that's worked on Wranglers for years. You can maintain vehicle battery needs with the original battery and wire all your accessories to the second one.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you did a " Muffler Delete" with an aftermarket tailpipe, you could utilize that space freed up by removing that big muffler. Also, if you don't have the BSG E Torque, there is a good spot under the floor to make use of..the 48v battery pack lives there in E Torque set ups

Sponsored

OP
OP
photo2000a

photo2000a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps,gofastcars,luxcars,oldcars,junkers
Occupation
Engineer, Fashion Photographer, Go fast driver
thanks to all those that replied, some good info, that might help me with other projects however changing my design for this proj isn't an option for my needs. that said. I remain open to learning about anyone or companies specifically making a underseat batt solution . grateful for all the replies .

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
If you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, I'd simply replace the battery tray in the engine compartment with one that supports two. It's a tried and true method that's worked on Wranglers for years. You can maintain vehicle battery needs with the original battery and wire all your accessories to the second one.
I was told by Jeep that will void your warranty on your whole electrical system. I wish there were Mopar approved dual battery systems, but there are not.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I was told by Jeep that will void your warranty on your whole electrical system. I wish there were Mopar approved dual battery systems, but there are not.
As opposed to having the second battery inside the vehicle? It's still a dual battery system either way.
Sponsored