Unable to order 2020 JLUR with V6.

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R
As of today, 7/27/19, my local dealer says they only able to order 2020MY JLU with the four cylinders right now. I want the six JLUR and they don’t know when they can order it. Anyone out there experienced the same?
Sponsored

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There seem to be several part shortages happening at the moment. Looking back it seems to be a common theme for new model year changes. That said, I’m sure someone will take this opportunity to blame CAFE.

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
The new gladiators only come with the V6 so for every gladiator produced there is one less v6 available for JLU's compared to the supplies in the 2019 model year. My best guess is FCA knows how many 3.6's they can produce in a year and they are all allocated to other places. I really don't want to start a v6 vs turbo discussion but for what it is worth I love the 2,0.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Better answer is “we have too many 2.0s to sell first...”
They’ve really pushed the 2.0L from what I’ve noticed since it’s inception each year. I don’t like that.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
They’ve really pushed the 2.0L from what I’ve noticed since it’s inception each year. I don’t like that.
They went from a $1000 upcharge for the 2.0 to charging $2k more for the V6 in 2020. That should tell you that there is something going on. For an engine that’s pushing almost 10 years old, there shouldn’t be part shortages. Any delays in production are basically meant to force the 2.0 out into buyers hands.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I drove both the 3.6 and the 2.0. We bought the 2.0 for more money, but it has more torque and better mpgs.

Not sure what perk there is to have with the 3.6 because all of its power is on the top end......where it's useless for around town and on the trails.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I drove both the 3.6 and the 2.0. We bought the 2.0 for more money, but it has more torque and better mpgs.

Not sure what perk there is to have with the 3.6 because all of its power is on the top end......where it's useless for around town and on the trails.
I can only speak for myself when I say it was availability and reliability. I bought my JL before the 2.0 was even for sale and didn’t want to wait for a new engine. The 3.6 is just a solid power-plant and it’s one less thing for me to care about. Not to say the 2.0 is bad, it’s just not the same in terms of history. It’s my ongoing debate for the next jeep, as I’m sure I’ll have to decide if the 2.0 is still worth looking into and getting rid of the 3.6.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They went from a $1000 upcharge for the 2.0 to charging $2k more for the V6 in 2020. That should tell you that there is something going on. For an engine that’s pushing almost 10 years old, there shouldn’t be part shortages. Any delays in production are basically meant to force the 2.0 out into buyers hands.
See, I was continually confused by this, too. My dealer insisted the 2.0 was an upcharge, but every time I was shopping online and saw a Rubicon price that seemed quite attractive it was always the 2.0

I mean EVERY time....

If you scroll dealers' sites many go from price low to high and the 3.6 Rubi's were always more expensive than the 2.0 Rubi's...so I struggled to see how the 2.0 allegedly cost more

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
See, I was continually confused by this, too. My dealer insisted the 2.0 was an upcharge, but every time I was shopping online and saw a Rubicon price that seemed quite attractive it was always the 2.0

I mean EVERY time....

If you scroll dealers' sites many go from price low to high and the 3.6 Rubi's were always more expensive than the 2.0 Rubi's...so I struggled to see how the 2.0 allegedly cost more
This is was likely due to how they were optioned. The 2.0 was more expensive than the 3.6, that is fact. Now with the BSG gone from the 2.0 and put on the 3.6 it is more expensive.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I don't think there is anything nefarious behind the V6 seemingly being phased out on the JL. I just think they want to move toward one engine to streamline and modernize things; the V6 is old. Sure, it's tried and true, but that's not really the name of the game anymore. The auto industry is all about innovation right now. The old days of "more cylinders=more awesome" are pretty much at an end. The 4-banger IS the better choice for 99% of people, as has been mentioned. It has plenty of power in the range of pretty much most conceivable driving with the torque being better than the V6.

I have a V6, but I can admit these things.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I don't think there is anything nefarious behind the V6 seemingly being phased out on the JL. I just think they want to move toward one engine to streamline and modernize things; the V6 is old. Sure, it's tried and true, but that's not really the name of the game anymore. The auto industry is all about innovation right now. The old days of "more cylinders=more awesome" are pretty much at an end. The 4-banger IS the better choice for 99% of people, as has been mentioned. It has plenty of power in the range of pretty much most conceivable driving with the torque being better than the V6.

I have a V6, but I can admit these things.
You are right. That’s always the debate. The 3.6 had issues out of the box too. Never buy an early model 2012 wrangler... I wanted to wait for the 2.0 to get some sea legs before I decided. Just rough when you keep layering things to fix on a vehicle. At some point, cars will just be disposable or you just replace large things instead of fixing them.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The 3.6 V6 in the JL wrangler is not quite the same 3.6 V6 that was in the 2012-2018 JK Wranglers.

https://www.pentastars.com/engines/PUG.php

It is not the same 'tried and true' design. Besides, for Chrysler, 'tried and true' doesn't mean a hell of a lot. Does anyone remember the 3.8 V6? lol

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
The perk is rowing your own gears for those of us who prefer it.
Sponsored