Sponsored

2020 Wrangler V6's are now 24V VVT Etorque Engines

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I’m extremely concerned with the etorque set up in these vehicles. A 48v lithium battery pack sits 12 inches above ground and is only 5-6 inches away from the fuel tank. They obviously state that the water fording height is 30 inches at 5mph. Do you know what’s going to happen when water starts getting inside these units. KaBooooooom...
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m extremely concerned with the etorque set up in these vehicles. A 48v lithium battery pack sits 12 inches above ground and is only 5-6 inches away from the fuel tank. They obviously state that the water fording height is 30 inches at 5mph. Do you know what’s going to happen when water starts getting inside these units. KaBooooooom...
Well probably not KaBoooom, but I’d guess worst case scenario would be a fire and hopefully you would have realize and gotten out of the vehicle before it burns through the frame and body. Gasoline won’t explode(only in movies), it will burn.

What happens to any electric vehicles when they are flooded? I’m asking a serious question though, because I’ve seen flooded electric vehicles and people driven Teslas Into ponds and such.

In any case, if this were to happen, it would be a total loss, there would be a write-off and payout and I’d probably get a new Jeep to drive. Maybe a PHEV or diesel?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Do you seriously think Jeep doesn't have any sort of waterproofing on these components?

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
The BSG motors might be more reliable than the non-BSG motors. As far as I know, most motor wear is from accelerating from a stop. If you have the etorque system doing that, the gas motor doesn't have to work as hard!
Wear happens on start and warm up.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Q -Are the e-Torque V6 3.6 L engines still only on the 2020 Sahara and Sport, NOT the Rubi ?

Sponsored

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
Well probably not KaBoooom, but I’d guess worst case scenario would be a fire and hopefully you would have realize and gotten out of the vehicle before it burns through the frame and body. Gasoline won’t explode(only in movies), it will burn.

What happens to any electric vehicles when they are flooded? I’m asking a serious question though, because I’ve seen flooded electric vehicles and people driven Teslas Into ponds and such.

In any case, if this were to happen, it would be a total loss, there would be a write-off and payout and I’d probably get a new Jeep to drive. Maybe a PHEV or diesel?
What happens if water gets into the fuel tank or engine?

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Thanks !

I know there is another thread on the subject, however, are most people wanting the eTorque or not. From what I can see, it's NOT something I would want and thankfully, I am getting a Rubicon ! If I am correct, this is the BSG for the "mild hybrid" correct ?

Chris

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm not sure if Chrysler is using the Schaeffler or Continental BSG but this is all the technical info to help answer anyone's questions or concerns.

https://www.schaeffler.com/remoteme...loads_11/Schaeffler_Kolloquium_2014_33_en.pdf

In simple language, the 2020 Sahara will work just the same as the current V6 just with a little more fuel mileage from electric assistance in specific torque ranges. The BSG in concept is a small electric motor that will aid the gasoline engine when it is not in an efficient range. In a general sense gasoline engines aren't efficient when accelerating below their torque curve and this BSG electric motor will make a small amount of power to aid the gasoline engine. A good way to think of this concept is imagine riding a bike, it takes more work to start pedaling that it does to pedal at a comfortable speed. Now imagine if starting from a stop and having a friend pushing you in the back to help you get up to speed. That is essentially the concept of BSG.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If I am correct, this is the BSG for the "mild hybrid" correct ?
The Brake Start Generator (BSG) is part of the “mild hybrid” system

E-Torque is FCA’s marketing name

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Thank you, ALL.

I appreciate the responses....

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I rented an E-Torque for a week last summer and I really enjoyed it.

But, if Chrysler engineered it, then there's no-way I would want to own it for a long term duration.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I rented an E-Torque for a week last summer and I really enjoyed it.

But, if Chrysler engineered it, then there's no-way I would want to own it for a long term duration.
It is engineered by other companies, they get the unit then bolt it onto the engine.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Like it or not , its standard on every Automatic V6 now.
Sponsored

Last edited: