First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
For those like me that can't get it covered under any warranty, I fixed it myself for less than $40 ultimately (not including your time).
1. Look up video for removal of unit
2. Look up video for disassembly
3. I used fishing line to separate the panels that have the glue
4. I used Isopropyl alcohol to remove all the glue residue
5. I then put it all back together and it was still ghost touching
6. I bought a new outer most screen for $36 off eBay
7. Put it all back together and it works, make sure you don't see any squish spots on screen where it didn't fit all back together right (or that will cause ghost touches)

No new glue is needed, so far it's working. Good luck. Even better if you can get it replaced but I was not so fortunate, they told me to pound sand.
Link to Ebay part please?
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Yup. My 2018 JL is doing this. Still works fine, just doesn’t look great.
Same for me. No functional issues; when the screen is off you can see about 30% delamination, but when its on its pretty un-noticeable.

hockey523

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Audi S5, '18 JLU Rubicon, '05 TJ Sport
2018 JLUR and the same started a few months ago and it is spreading. Of course out of warranty. Sucks that it is happening.

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
2018 JLUR and the same started a few months ago and it is spreading. Of course out of warranty. Sucks that it is happening.
Sucks, yes, but my 2018 Sahara was out of warranty and they just replaced it in November, so get in touch with Jeep Cares and give them your VIN. You might be pleasantly surprised. I was! 🙂

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I had a screen protector when mine delaminated. In fact, I though the screen protector was the problem until removed it. I put another one on once the radio was replaced though.
Excatly what I thought it was... I removed the protector to see that it was the darn screen.

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Sponsored

ScubaDubba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
This link is dead, but I found it from another thread here. See it for about 260, it will be a good project when I finally get tired of the screen issues. Found a short video on how to do it, really quite simple too.
I bought the $35 version, I'm not sure what's with the $260 package that makes that a better choice. Be careful when putting it back together because if you squish the screens to tightly then it's the same issue for that area. Just look at it at an angle to confirm before putting it back in vechile.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I bought the $35 version, I'm not sure what's with the $260 package that makes that a better choice. Be careful when putting it back together because if you squish the screens to tightly then it's the same issue for that area. Just look at it at an angle to confirm before putting it back in vechile.
$260 seems to be for the full screen. Are you buying just the digitizer?

ScubaDubba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
$260 seems to be for the full screen. Are you buying just the digitizer?
Yes, the glue substance comes off better from the screen and then you just put on a new digitizer. There is nothing really broken here, just removing the glue and keeping the separation and putting it back together.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Yes, the glue substance comes off better from the screen and then you just put on a new digitizer. There is nothing really broken here, just removing the glue and keeping the separation and putting it back together.
Did you need the digitizer, or could you just reuse the one you have? I watched a couple videos, and basically you just need to remove the failed glue (and then replace with some spacer tape on the perimeter).

My unit looks ugly, but so far I am getting no ghost button presses, so I am not in a huge rush. However, if its just some time to remove the glue, it might be moved up the todo list.

Any tips to washing away the old glue? Just lots of glass cleaner?

If you did use the new digitizer, how is it to replace the ribbon cable (can't really tell on videos)?

Thanks!

ScubaDubba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Did you need the digitizer, or could you just reuse the one you have? I watched a couple videos, and basically you just need to remove the failed glue (and then replace with some spacer tape on the perimeter).

My unit looks ugly, but so far I am getting no ghost button presses, so I am not in a huge rush. However, if its just some time to remove the glue, it might be moved up the todo list.

Any tips to washing away the old glue? Just lots of glass cleaner?

If you did use the new digitizer, how is it to replace the ribbon cable (can't really tell on videos)?

Thanks!
It's been a bit since I did it but here is what I remember.
Getting the glue off the glass was just time consuming and I used rubbing alcohol and paper towels and cotton swabs. The digitizer is a different material and can scratch easily and the outside where you touch had a couple minor imperfections so it was worth it to me to not mess with it for $35.

I think that spacer tape is a great idea to keep that gap between the pieces (where the glue used to be). Any part where the screen and digitizer touch will cause the same issues as the glue is causing today.

I didn't replace any ribbon cable, it all disconnects or is part of the replacement digitizer. I found a YouTube video on the process and just went through the steps.
Sponsored