OP
OP
wranglerguyman

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Confirmed that the left control doesn't work. Big thanks to @bam1111, we meet up yesterday and he showed me how the accent light works on his Rubi (6SP MT & 8.4''). Apparently, it only works when it gets dark outside/or maybe when the auto headlight is on.

BUT we were able to confirm that my left control doesn't turn on nor control the foot/accent light in any conditions. I have a sports with the 7'' screen & 6sp MT, not sure if it has anything to do with my options, or just some defective parts from supplier. @wranglerguyman so far we have the same issue, interesting to see if others experience the same which we might find a trend.
I actually figured how to get mine to work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wranglerguyman

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Also controls the accent light in the door handle... just figured this out...I swear the lights at the feet do not change for me though.
Itā€™s faint. Not as bright as it would be if the right dial was clicked up. So once you get the right dial anywhere from the bottom to before the first click, youā€™re in night mode. Thatā€™s when you can use the left dial to control the footwell light. However if the right dial is clicked up then it wonā€™t work as you are in day mode.

Basically we have to manually adjust the right dial depending on the time of day weā€™re driving. I wish Jeep could integrate that with the auto headlights. My ā€˜05 Infiniti does that, canā€™t see why an ā€˜18 Jeep canā€™t do that lol.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Confirmed that the left control doesn't work. Big thanks to @bam1111, we meet up yesterday and he showed me how the accent light works on his Rubi (6SP MT & 8.4''). Apparently, it only works when it gets dark outside/or maybe when the auto headlight is on.

BUT we were able to confirm that my left control doesn't turn on nor control the foot/accent light in any conditions. I have a sports with the 7'' screen & 6sp MT, not sure if it has anything to do with my options, or just some defective parts from supplier. @wranglerguyman so far we have the same issue, interesting to see if others experience the same which we might find a trend.
upload_2018-3-16_11-18-16.png

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the door handle isn't ambient Lighting? Or I have the package but it's super dim on the feet?
No clue on specifics. It does say LED Ambient Lighting. I would imagine the door handles are not considered ambient lighting. Foot wells would be considered ambient. Without the LED Ambient Lighting there may still be some faint light by the foot wells but not the same.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So that explains why Yutao's Sport wouldn't dim the footwell lighting.

I assume the dial on the left will dim the interior lighting in the Sports; just not ambient lighting. They need to place definitions in the manual as to what is ambient and what is interior lighting?

Capture.JPG

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
WOW Thanks for looking it up and sharing it. It's odd to me that FCA leaves the dial but not making it functional. It might even cost more to do it this way. But I am glad there is nothing wrong with my sports, and other sports owners can reference this to rest easy!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW Thanks for looking it up and sharing it. It's odd to me that FCA leaves the dial but not making it functional. It might even cost more to do it this way. But I am glad there is nothing wrong with my sports, and other sports owners can reference this to rest easy!
They have it there as it is not only for ambient lighting. From @bam1111 post it states the the left dimmer control will adjust the interior AND ambient light levels. So for Sport and Sport S this adjusts the interior light only. Somebody else said they have a light where the door handle is and I think they said this light is adjusted with that wheel as well. It does have a function.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked under the foot well and saw the tiny led for the ambient light. I wonder if it can be replaced with a different color led and if so, how hard would that be too change it?

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

Same for me here. I have yet to figure out what the switch on the left does.

Sponsored

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've looked under the foot well and saw the tiny led for the ambient light. I wonder if it can be replaced with a different color led and if so, how hard would that be too change it?
I'm investigating this at the moment. I'll try to post if I have any luck.

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any luck?
Found a good connection with a local shop that does LED upgrades to all types of vehicles. I'm going to get with him soon for him to look at it and he's interested in putting together kits for DIY swaps for many colors. Just haven't had time to get by his shop yet. Stay tuned!

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
So has anyone noticed if the dimmer switch that is not used on the sport S is still pre wired? Waiting to get ours and hoping to add ambient lighting but donā€™t want to have to use one of the cigarette lighter plugs for it. Hoping I can wire directly into this dimmer so I can also control the brightness. I donā€™t want extremely bright lights, just enough to allow us to see inside when travelling on dark highways instead of having to turn on a dome light/map light. Or can someone confirm if the Sport S has any sort of ambient light up top that helps you at night? Wifeā€™s Mazda 3 has a small led up in headliner area that gives off just enough light to be able to see your phone/coffee/lighter while driving at night in the middle of nowhere.
Sponsored