Sponsored

Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors?

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm considering rock lights for some ambient light around camp. One thing that would really make me want them is if they would turn on temporarily as a courtesy light when unlocking the doors.

Is there any power source that could be tapped to provide temporary power when unlocking?

Thanks
Sponsored

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
I did this... There is an access hole on driver side footwell, plastic circle that is easy to remove and drill a hole
Then run wires to footwell lighting.
Looks awesome and works well.

Last edited:

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@Moregone I wired up some cheap lights to come on underneath as courtesy lights, as @RenegadeJeeper said, just run into the cabin and tap into (the correct) wire in the footwell lights, ask how I know that you can tap into the ambient lights instead of the courtesy lights!

One thing to keep in mind, if you want to have them be switched and courtesy lights, you will probably need to install a diode or two to stop back feed, see the Backup Lights thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/) for details. There are several posts and diagrams where folks want to accomplish a similar things with reverse lights.

Last edited:

OJrubicon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Will the lights underneath dim like the dome lights slowly dim or is it just on and off? I have a few amber KC cyclones that I plan on using just as courtesy lights when unlocking the doors.

Sponsored

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Nope just splice and done.
No tap or ground elsewhere needed

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Fellas, quick question for you. I have had my lights for a few weeks, but I have waited to install the lights. I plan to tap into the footwell for courtesy lights, however, I would still like to use the App. Will this be possible? Even though I am tied to a lighting source, will the command to turn on the lights remain with the App, or will I be stuck with only courtesy lights. I have researched a possible 3-way rocker light to try, but I do not think that is my answer.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@ToPar9 I presume that you are wanting to install a set of lights that can be controlled by an app, and you want them to:
1. Come on when you open the door, as courtesy lights
2. Switch on/off without having to switch on the courtesy lights

If this is the case, you will need a secondary power supply, this could be always hot or something that is switched, and based on reading the Backup Lights thread, I would also suggest some diodes to stop back feed.

Something like this....
Courtesy light --------->| diode input 1 -- Output -- App controlled light
Other power supply -->| diode input 2 -- Output --/

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
@ToPar9 I presume that you are wanting to install a set of lights that can be controlled by an app, and you want them to:
1. Come on when you open the door, as courtesy lights
2. Switch on/off without having to switch on the courtesy lights

If this is the case, you will need a secondary power supply, this could be always hot or something that is switched, and based on reading the Backup Lights thread, I would also suggest some diodes to stop back feed.

Something like this....
Courtesy light --------->| diode input 1 -- Output -- App controlled light
Other power supply -->| diode input 2 -- Output --/
Thank you for the links.
Headlights, Tail Lights, Fender Lights, Backup Camera Lights, all installed, good to go.
The backup light thread assisted both my tail light and reverse light install.
I think my explanation was a very pisspoor attempt to explain my intentions.
Believe me, I have relentlessly searched here, web, etc, trying to figure this out on my own.
What I am hoping to accomplish:
KeyFob - Unlock - lights come on, follow the same behavior as interior footwell/dome light. (I plan to leave all 4 Rocklights the same color, for daily activities, white or purple, or let me daughter pick a solid color)
Engine off - door open, lights come on.
Lights off when KeyFob lock is selected.

My thoughts were also:
RockLights Bluetooth Module
Module + into Splitter
Module - to chassis, grounding bolt, or battery.
Splitter 1 - diode - Footwell
Splitter 2 - diode - Battery

Now, let's say my daughter takes the Jeep to the lake, and they are listening to music. She wants to mess around with the lights, and opens the App to control the colors and whatnot. By using the power button on the App, the lights come on without the need to turn over the Jeep, along with leaving the dome lights on.
With the setup above, will this work?

It's pretty obvious I have no idea what I am talking about, but I am trying to learn.
It's also hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
I do appreciate the help, and I apologize for stupid questions.
upload_2020-3-30_10-30-37.png

Thanks, again.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@ToPar9 Your circuit looks pretty good to me, the only change that I would make would be to add a switch on the feed to diode 1.

Why do that?
  1. If you don't switch it, there will always be power to the rock lights, and you will have to use the app to turn them on/off
    1. This (using the app) defeats your goal of having them come on/off with the courtesy lights
  2. Does the bluetooth module remember the last setting when the power is cut to it, or does it always default back to something?
    1. If so, is that the something that you want it to default to?
  3. The daughter at the lake (I have two boys who aren't of driving age, so this never would have crossed my mind!), by adding a switch, she has to go to the Jeep and flick a switch to make things work. This should remind her that it's using power from the Jeep. Otherwise you end up being the cool dad who comes out to jump start the Jeep. Or include a battery pack in the back and teach her how to use it :)
  4. If you go switched, for the lake effect, you will need to tap into a line that always has power, even when the ignition is not on, that way nothing else is accessible.
I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.47.08 AM.png

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
@ToPar9 Your circuit looks pretty good to me, the only change that I would make would be to add a switch on the feed to diode 1.

Why do that?
  1. If you don't switch it, there will always be power to the rock lights, and you will have to use the app to turn them on/off
    1. This (using the app) defeats your goal of having them come on/off with the courtesy lights
  2. Does the bluetooth module remember the last setting when the power is cut to it, or does it always default back to something?
    1. If so, is that the something that you want it to default to?
  3. The daughter at the lake (I have two boys who aren't of driving age, so this never would have crossed my mind!), by adding a switch, she has to go to the Jeep and flick a switch to make things work. This should remind her that it's using power from the Jeep. Otherwise you end up being the cool dad who comes out to jump start the Jeep. Or include a battery pack in the back and teach her how to use it :)
  4. If you go switched, for the lake effect, you will need to tap into a line that always has power, even when the ignition is not on, that way nothing else is accessible.
I hope this helps.
Awesome, thank you for the addition to my idea above.
Yes, the BT module remembers the last setting. (White-courtesy being the main focus)
Battery Pack already purchased, for that exact reason! haha (lights on for way too long)
To throw another wrench it this, my thought was a three-way rocker switch. (On/Off/On)
1. On - (courtesy only setting)
2. Off - (I'm at the lake, I better turn this off, or I will kill the battery)
3. On until switched back to 1 or 2 - (lake party, I am a cool girl, accessible through the app)
1 and 2 - relay, diode
3 - switch - diode 2, spliced into footwell light

Something similar to below, instead of it being a different source, I would tie into the footwell on 1, run 3 to the battery.
1 2 3
upload_2020-3-30_12-3-55.png

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@ToPar9 I am not too familiar with SPDT switches but it seems to me like it would work. I have mocked up how I think I would do this using a SPDT switch.... (I am sure that there are others who are more accomplished at electrics than I am!)

I think that you need a diode on either side of switch, whether coming from the battery, or the courtesy light circuit.
IMG_3229.jpg

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
@ToPar9 I am not too familiar with SPDT switches but it seems to me like it would work. I have mocked up how I think I would do this using a SPDT switch.... (I am sure that there are others who are more accomplished at electrics than I am!)

I think that you need a diode on either side of switch, whether coming from the battery, or the courtesy light circuit.
This makes sense logically as well.
I am more of an RF/Satellite guy, this is uncharted waters for me.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
A little more info has developed reference on/off/on situations here, should you want to look into it for the heck of it.
Different situation, but somewhat similar.
Sponsored