Turbo advice- worth it?

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0 eTorque
I've had mine for 2 months now. I love everything about it except the exhaust note. I live at altitude so the 2.0 was faster than the 3.6 when I test drove them both. So far I am getting really good fuel econ, about 2-3 mpg better than the Tacoma V6 I had before this. I really like the torque around town, makes it enjoyable to drive. Took it off road already and it did great. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
Are you running on premium or regular gas?
Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Are you running on premium or regular gas?
I'm using regular. I tried premium, but didn't see any difference. Hasn't been all that hot yet where I live this summer. I am sure in temps closer to 90-100F premium would make a difference in how these things run.

oklarado jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I like my Turbo, but had I researched more before I went in to make the order I would not have bought it. I just got my best mpg on a 1800 mile round trip to Florida. Got 18.6mpg. Normally I get around 17.5. My V6 Sahara got around 17 with the shorter gearing and smaller tires, so there is some benefit from the turbo / new tranny for my Rubicon. But it is far below what I expected. Add to that the increased cost for the "recommended" but not required fuel and the initial $1000 cost as well as increased complexity and long term reliability issues I would not order it again. Unless, as some in the higher elevations discuss, there is a need for it I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

And as far as "faster" I'm not sure why that is a big concern especially when the majority of the jeepers are always talking about larger tires, heavy addons and the like, its not as if being faster is really top on the list of a jeepers want list
Just bought my 2019 Rubicon with the 3.6 and sky touch roof. Been lying in wait for the granite crystal metallic color and bought it the first day it arrived on the lot. Used the USAA car buying service and got about 15% off MSRP. Knew I picked the right engine as the head sales manager kept trying to talk me into the Rubicons with the 2.0 engines with etorque in a different color (red, black or white). Lots of those engines still on his lot. He gave up after I told him I knew about etorque being discontinued in 2020 for the Rubicons. Very happy with the tried and true 3.6 - I’m in the breaking in period and enjoying the roar of the engine. Seems like Jeep is phasing out any leftover 2.0s with etorque in their 2020 Saharas only since those drivers are mainly highway only where they may benefit from the etorque more than others. Speculation that Etorque will most likely be gone by 2021 entirely due to its complexity, heavier weight of the extra components, mild issues on trails, not enough gas mileage savings due to recommendation to use premium 91 octane gas instead of 87 for the 3.6

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Every car guy I know says they would avoid the turbo and I agree. No one here is talking about the long term or maintenance of the two engines. Sure two new cars are fine and most would like driving the turbo out of the gate. Also, there have been some post regarding the extra lines of the turbo and off roading.

It would be worth reading up on these and forming your opinion especially if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Every car guy I know says they would avoid the turbo and I agree. No one here is talking about the long term or maintenance of the two engines. Sure two new cars are fine and most would like driving the turbo out of the gate. Also, there have been some post regarding the extra lines of the turbo and off roading.

It would be worth reading up on these and forming your opinion especially if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.
So far the turbo engine has been great. Torque is amazing for a 4 cylinder and there is no turbo lag like my Allroad . My only complaint would be that when I watch my wife drive away, the buzz from the engine makes me cringe! The Allroad doesnt have that 4 cyl buzz at all. Gas mileage is phenomenal for such a heavy blunt vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
I struggled over which motor to go with for months. I drove both several times for several months (dealerships got tired of seeing me). In the end I went with the turbo and have never thought twice about my decision. I typically don’t keep cars to long, two to three years at most. However if I end up keeping this one for a good while and my decision results in more maintenance costs over the long haul it will still be worth it in my opinion. It is the motor that I enjoyed significantly more between the two. I would rather get the motor that excites me more than settling on one out of fear and compromising on enjoyment. And for the record all this talk about long term reliability is based on pure speculation. No one knows how this motor will due long term until it has been around long term. I can tell you first hand, for me the 2.0 has been an absolute blast and I have had zero issues or concerns at all. As a matter of fact there is not much negative talk about the motor at all from the people that have them. Pretty much all the negative talk is from the ones who have the V6.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So far the turbo engine has been great. Torque is amazing for a 4 cylinder and there is no turbo lag like my Allroad . My only complaint would be that when I watch my wife drive away, the buzz from the engine makes me cringe! The Allroad doesnt have that 4 cyl buzz at all. Gas mileage is phenomenal for such a heavy blunt vehicle. I consider myself a car guy.
That's nice, but he even conceded it's probably better out of the gate. His point was long term reliability and cost of maintenance which is a very fair point to bring up for a prospective buyer. It's been a little over a year for the 2.0. With that limited time one would hope it's been great.

And for the record all this talk about long term reliability is based on pure speculation. .
It is not speculation that turbo motors generally have more issues and poorer reliability than naturally aspirated engines to go with higher cost of ownership throughout the vehicles life. This has been well documented throughout the years. That does not mean the 2.0 is a POS, or that it will fall a part, nor does it mean V6 owners hate it. It simply means a prospective buyer should really do their research and consider the positives/negatives of each engine.

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's nice, but he even conceded it's probably better out of the gate. His point was long term reliability and cost of maintenance which is a very fair point to bring up for a prospective buyer. It's been a little over a year for the 2.0. With that limited time one would hope it's been great.

It is not speculation that turbo motors generally have more issues and poorer reliability than naturally aspirated engines to go with higher cost of ownership throughout the vehicles life. This has been well documented throughout the years. That does not mean the 2.0 is a POS, or that it will fall a part, nor does it mean V6 owners hate it. It simply means a prospective buyer should really do their research and consider the positives/negatives of each engine.

Again pure speculation. Won’t know how this particular motor does long term until it has been around long term. Your basing your BS on a generalization. I can agree on a average turbo motors can be problematic however averages run the entire spectrum so some are reliable while others are not. No telling where this motor will fall on the spectrum until it has been around long enough to prove itself one way or the other.

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Let me guess, you have a V6?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Again pure speculation. Won’t know how this particular motor does long term until it has been around long term. Your basing your BS on a generalization. I can agree on a average turbo motors can be problematic however averages run the entire spectrum so some are reliable while others are not. No telling where this motor will fall on the spectrum until it has been around long enough to prove itself one way or the other.
I didn't speculate anything. I said in general turbos have more issues and higher cost of ownership which absolutely is not speculation. In fact, you agreed with me with your averages comment. I specifically mentioned it does not mean the 2.0 is a POS or that it will have issues. Considering the lack of history with the 2.0, one should look at the overall track record of turbo engines when deciding their engine choice. To not put the overall turbo track record into consideration when the engine is so new because it doesn't fit your narrative is silly.

The engine I own is irrelevant. I did not knock the 2.0 in any way. If you can't handle hearing that an unproven engine isn't proven yet then you shouldn't be on a discussion board. OP asked for advice, they're going to hear the good and the bad too.

Sponsored

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't speculate anything. I said in general turbos have more issues and higher cost of ownership which absolutely is not speculation. In fact, you agreed with me with your averages comment. I specifically mentioned it does not mean the 2.0 is a POS or that it will have issues. Considering the lack of history with the 2.0, one should look at the overall track record of turbo engines when deciding their engine choice. To not put the overall turbo track record into consideration when the engine is so new because it doesn't fit your narrative is silly.

The engine I own is irrelevant. I did not knock the 2.0 in any way. If you can't handle hearing that an unproven engine isn't proven yet then you shouldn't be on a discussion board. OP asked for advice, they're going to hear the good and the bad too.

LOL I will say it again but I can only beat a dead horse so many times. PURE speculation. You cannot speak of the long term reliability of THIS motor until it has been given enough time to prove itself one way or the other. You keep trying to cast doubt on the 2.0 based on generalized information based on other manufacturers. Pretty sure it is your narrative that is not stacking up there friend. I can take information good or bad as long as it’s based on actual facts and not generalizations.

Placebo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something with 4 wheels
The 2.0 is a cool engine, but I wouldn't buy it. The fuel economy isn't much better than the V6, the power is pretty similar, and it was a $1,000 premium last time I checked. I love my 2.3L ecoboost but thats in a 3600lb car, I feel like the weaker 2.0L with extra complexity of the BSG in a way heavier jeep wouldn't make me happy.

If I had to choose between the two today, I would go with the V6 since its tried and true. One less thing to worry about when wheeling. The diesel (and maybe the new FCA 3.0L turbo straight 6) are also really interesting and I can't wait to see them in a Wrangler.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
LOL I will say it again but I can only beat a dead horse so many times. PURE speculation. You cannot speak of the long term reliability of THIS motor until it has been given enough time to prove itself one way or the other. You keep trying to cast doubt on the 2.0 based on generalized information based on other manufacturers. Pretty sure it is your narrative that is not stacking up there friend. I can take information good or bad as long as it’s based on actual facts and not generalizations.
You're reading what you want to read and not what's actually said. It's kind of sad for a grown adult to be honest. I specifically said the 2.0 may not have issues at all. I never said anything about the long term reliability of the 2.0 either. I said turbos in general have more issues, which you yourself agreed with. Case closed.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Turbos have been around for quite some time now. Their durability has improved tremendously over the years. My decision to go with the 4 cyl is based on that fact, plus my turbo Allroad has performed flawlessly for over 30k miles. I consider it a reasonable gamble.
It just occurred to me that radios have improved over the years as well and my Alpine system doesnt work and they cant fix it ! Go figure!

Last edited:

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're reading what you want to read and not what's actually said. It's kind of sad for a grown adult to be honest. I specifically said the 2.0 may not have issues at all. I never said anything about the long term reliability of the 2.0 either. I said turbos in general have more issues, which you yourself agreed with. Case closed.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I get a headache trying to argue with people who suffer from Dunning–Kruger effect.
Sponsored