Sponsored

Tuffy tailgate lockbox anyone installed on yet?

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
isn't the purpose of the gap to allow air to flow out through the tailgate vent (behind the tire carrier) to reduce the interior pressure on the soft top windows while front windows/top are open?

there, I did it, I got it all out in one sentence.
That’s an awfully small gap to do all that. I have no idea though. Could be right.

I guess I’ll take the space savings.
Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Installed my Tuffy Tailgate lock box today using the same method as @RagTopDeluxe and others with just removing the plastic and not using any spacers. I applied the auto/marine stripping to the various bolt attachments and then did a strip all along the back of the box that would contact the metal. Looks good iMO and feels quite sturdy. I did have the top left bolt which didn't seem to tighten all the way so I added another washer which seemed to work. Haven't driven with it yet but it fit good even with my Jeep cargo mat installed.

GoyMOEm5QOeGgPRAM21ofA.jpg

mjUT9auETtC8p+0Fott%JQ.jpg

A4UFYENlROqNOmeOuVFA8A.jpg

TvYulhXvS7qY2aIAOILQCg.jpg

View attachment 205416

%1a4xWUdRNiLN8YKwOWUHw.jpg

IMG_5552.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my Tuffy Tailgate lock box today using the same method as @RagTopDeluxe and others with just removing the plastic and not using any spacers. I applied the auto/marine stripping to the various bolt attachments and then did a strip all along the back of the box that would contact the metal. Looks good iMO and feels quite sturdy. I did have the top left bolt which didn't seem to tighten all the way so I added another washer which seemed to work. Haven't driven with it yet but it fit good even with my Jeep cargo mat installed.

GoyMOEm5QOeGgPRAM21ofA.jpg

mjUT9auETtC8p+0Fott%JQ.jpg

A4UFYENlROqNOmeOuVFA8A.jpg

TvYulhXvS7qY2aIAOILQCg.jpg

View attachment 205416

%1a4xWUdRNiLN8YKwOWUHw.jpg

IMG_5552.jpeg
Nicely done! You may have inspired me to go back and redo mine!

kermudjin

First Name
Dyspashanut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU; 2015 BMW F800R
Occupation
Ex-wife’s Sexual Advisor—she said when she wants my f’ing advice she’ll ask for it!
Newbie here.

I came across this thread while researching lock boxes/safes for the Wrangler. I got a 2018 Sahara JLU a couple of months ago and now need some way to lock up my pistols.

CT just passed another stupid gun law that goes into effect next month:

“Public Act No. 19-7. Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2019) (a) (1) No person shall store or keep any pistol or revolver in any motor vehicle that is unattended unless such pistol or revolver is in the trunk, a locked safe or locked glove box.”

I like to stop for dinner after a trip to the range, but now I have to worry that Big Brother will arrest me if I go into a restaurant and leave my guns in locked pistol cases in the Jeep.

This Tuffy unit, along with some BenchMaster pistol holders, should solve the problem. https://www.amazon.com/Benchmaster-Weapon-Pistol-Storage-Accessories/dp/B00G6UA3O6?

It will store my lovelies inconspicuously and relatively safely. All the pix and descriptions here make me confident this is a better solution than trying to find a way to bolt a safe for multiple firearms into the Wrangler somehow.

Thanks, folks!

And incidentally, the Tuffy 349 is currently $288 on Amazon from one of the third party vendors, “Got-Chrome.”
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3FPDNK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2RUUZRXEF9SV6&psc=1

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
:
“Public Act No. 19-7. Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2019) (a) (1) No person shall store or keep any pistol or revolver in any motor vehicle that is unattended unless such pistol or revolver is in the trunk, a locked safe or locked glove box.”

I like to stop for dinner after a trip to the range, but now I have to worry that Big Brother will arrest me if I go into a restaurant and leave my guns in locked pistol cases in the Jeep.
technically, it is a felony to stop for dinner after going to the range in NJ (with any firearm in the vehicle, locked or not), be happy the gun laws in your state are so lax :)

Sponsored

kermudjin

First Name
Dyspashanut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ex-wife’s Sexual Advisor—she said when she wants my f’ing advice she’ll ask for it!
technically, it is a felony to stop for dinner after going to the range in NJ (with any firearm in the vehicle, locked or not), be happy the gun laws in your state are so lax :)
Yeah, I know Jersey has ludicrous firearms laws. Every time I drive south I make sure not to stop in NJ or NY.

Does a carry permit get around that? CT requires that you get a Pistol Permit to purchase or use at a range. It also entitles one to concealed carry, if so inclined. What sort of hoops must you jump through to get a permit in NJ?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know Jersey has ludicrous firearms laws. Every time I drive south I make sure not to stop in NJ or NY.

Does a carry permit get around that? CT requires that you get a Pistol Permit to purchase or use at a range. It also entitles one to concealed carry, if so inclined. What sort of hoops must you jump through to get a permit in NJ?
Wow, they are smart. I'll bet the criminals hate jumping through all those hoops and just give up trying!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara

NJ doesn't issue concealed carry permits unless you can demonstrate a "justifiable need" - in practice, this means that the only residents who qualify are retired police or well connected politicians/donors. there is no way around it. this state is lost.

kermudjin

First Name
Dyspashanut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NJ doesn't issue concealed carry permits unless you can demonstrate a "justifiable need" - in practice, this means that the only residents who qualify are retired police or well connected politicians/donors. there is no way around it. this state is lost.
Pretty much like downstate NY (city, LI, Westchester) where I lived for three decades until getting disgusted and moving across the line to CT.

Northeast & Left Coast have abandoned the Constitution and any respect for liberty.

Time to move to Texas!?!?

BumbleBee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2017 Subaru WRX, 2000 Honda S2000
Scarr2k, Thanks for posting this, super helpful. One question, where you able to use the bolts that came with the box?

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I installed this lock box a few months ago.
Works great, looks fine.
Good additional security lock box.
Does take up 3 or 4 inches. But for me the gains outweigh the losses.
I little expensive, no buyers remorse though.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any rattles or squeaks when off road or loaded up?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Any rattles or squeaks when off road or loaded up?
The box itself doesn't rattle or squeak. I added two long powerful strip magnets to the inside of the box from Harbor Freight. They hold metallic stuff in place. Also from Harbor Freight I wrapped the stuff that rattled in bubble wrap. I added a U clamp to the inside of the box for running my ccw lock box cable through. It can also be used as a table. Probably best unexpected use is that it's a great place to apply your stickers.
Sponsored