ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I used the search to read through existing threads about this and didn't find anything that applied. I'm trying to figure out what's causing a rattle/clicking noise from the right rear or rear passenger side of the vehicle. The noise itself comes and goes while sitting still and while driving however, it's most noticeable when sitting still. It can be heard inside and outside the vehicle, which makes me think it's something on the outside.

At first i thought it might have been an exhaust hanger but those seem to be solid. I can't find any screws or bolts loose, at least nothing in immediate view.

I apologize, this video was taken at night and you can't see anything but you can hear the rattle.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what it could be?

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Check for any place where the exhaust pipe might make contact with the frame. I had this problem...fixed with a grinder. Mine made contact under the drivers seat area but it sounded like it was coming from the back.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
darn this has gotta be annoying.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if you are running any exhaust mod either but check where the exhaust pipe goes around the rear sway bar. It's common for them to hit there as well.
Another idea is get a rag and grab the tailpipe and move it around while the noise is happening. If you can get it to stop you know it's somewhere in the exhaust piping.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
First time I was under there, checking exhaust hangers, and doing everything I could to replicate the rattle; I wasn't able to. I'll take these ideas and crawl under there with a hand mirror as well to see look for any places it's touching and report back.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was wondering how you could hear a particular rattle over all the other rattles, but yeah that seems extra annoying.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering how you could hear a particular rattle over all the other rattles, but yeah that seems extra annoying.
The first 3 seconds of video you hear the rattle and exhaust, the rest of the clip is just the exhaust, so I'm not sure what other rattles you thought you heard.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The first 3 seconds of video you hear the rattle and exhaust, the rest of the clip is just the exhaust, so I'm not sure what other rattles you thought you heard.
No, I just meant the JL is a constant never ending series of various rattles, squeaks, etc on its own.

But you've managed to find a much more annoying rattle than usual.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No, I just meant the JL is a constant never ending series of various rattles, squeaks, etc on its own.

But you've managed to find a much more annoying rattle than usual.
Oh gotcha. I've been pretty lucky with that being my first rattle. My top squeaks occasionally during articulation but other than that, I haven't had issues. I'm also fairly low miles for being a 2018.
Sponsored