Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
  • Banned
I recently installed a set of Rubicon take-off wheels and tires on my '18 JLUS. I brought the tires home with me in the Jeep and they sat in there overnight (not sure if this matters at all). I put them on the next morning and the tire pressure immediately registered 36lbs at all 4 corners (I ran my former tires at 34lbs).

That day, I made 4 short trips, all 3-5 miles, and the pressure continued to show 36lbs. The next day I only ran it briefly, maybe 2 miles each way - still 36lbs. The day after that, about 5 miles into my trip, the TPMS warning light began to flash, and the pressure read as unavailable. Several days and maybe 100 miles later it remains unavailable.

The confirmed build date of the donor Rubicon is 10-20 (and the owner confirms that these are the original wheels/sensors), so well before the 6-21 TPMS sensor swap. Anything else I can look at before I have my old sensors installed in the new wheels? Thank you.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's safe to say your new TPMS sensors never worked. Your dash was displaying the last reading from your old sensors and finally timed out waiting for new readings. AFAIK there wasn't a TPMS change between your build and the donor, but I never had a need to pay attention. I could very well be wrong. Someone else will have to chime in here.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
It's safe to say your new TPMS sensors never worked. Your dash was displaying the last reading from your old sensors and finally timed out waiting for new readings. AFAIK there wasn't a TPMS change between your build and the donor, but I never had a need to pay attention. I could very well be wrong. Someone else will have to chime in here.
I agree. tire sensors need about 20 miles of constant driving to register. You will have to pair the new sensors to your jeep. Most tire shops and the dealer have a device that can read the sensors and do it for you. just cost ya a little bit of money.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. tire sensors need about 20 miles of constant driving to register. You will have to pair the new sensors to your jeep. Most tire shops and the dealer have a device that can read the sensors and do it for you. just cost ya a little bit of money.
I'm not certain about '18s but the '21s are self-pairing. I have a 2nd set of winter tires and the new TMPS sensors pair right up in maybe a mile or two, easy peasy. Also no problem rotating tires with the spare, it figures it out quickly.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
I'm not certain about '18s but the '21s are self-pairing. I have a 2nd set of winter tires and the new TMPS sensors pair right up in maybe a mile or two, easy peasy. Also no problem rotating tires with the spare, it figures it out quickly.
my wifes 21 JGC L i couldnt get new sensors for the winter tires and rims. was a 4 month wait. the tire shop tried to get a generic sensor to pair up but they changed something. oh well the new uconnect5 system detects that theres no sensors and after 20 miles they warning light goes away as they assume you have winter rims on

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Frank R.

As long as all the TPMS's on the take offs you installed are healthy and are the correct TPMS's for your JL...

You would want to try the following ...

Make sure the Psi on all 4, on the ground tires are set to exactly what the the door placard recommends. Then go for a ride... Hopefully, all will display after a mile or so.. AFTER all TPMS's are reading you can change the psi on tires.

If that is a no go..... try -->Often the spare tire messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and with the PSI's all set as per the door placard, go drive for a few minutes. Once all displays properly, put the spare back on the spare holder.

Also try: --> the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PAULY151

The answer is no. Forum search will bring you to info as to why..

OP
OP
Frank R.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
  • Banned
@Frank R.

Make sure the Psi on all 4, on the ground tires are set to exactly what the the door placard recommends.
I appreciate the insight.

F/U Question - would the door placard on a JLUR list the same pressure recommendation as my JLUS? Does that even matter?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the insight.

F/U Question - would the door placard on a JLUR list the same pressure recommendation as my JLUS? Does that even matter?

@Frank R.

You inflate to the recommended psi on the door placard of the JL the tires are actually on...
That's probably 37# on the Rubi..... do check your door placard.

When you inflate, inflate to say a # more then the placard recommends just to account for your crappy air pressure gauge. 8-)

If the first way I mentioned does not get things remedied, try the last approach and then if that fails..... as in, pull the spare as mentioned in the other approach.

Hopefully, you can get-er done...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They type of TPMS sensors changed in '21. You'll need new TPMS sensors or swap the 2022 OEM sensors to the 2019's tires.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They type of TPMS sensors changed in '21. You'll need new TPMS sensors or swap the 2022 OEM sensors to the 2019's tires.
@PAULY151
@Reinen

I agree with this.

Right now... for the next few months+-, you will have a hard time acquiring new TPMS's that will work with your 2022 or a 2021.....

IF, if.... you could even find them available that would be from a Mopar parts seller as these TPMS's are just not readily available... and for sure not available from somewhere other then say a Mopar dealership parts dept..

With that said.. DO, Do... when you get your 2022 JL, have the TPMS removed from the factory4 on the ground wheels and the spare and have them placed into the wheels you are placing on the 22 JL.

Keep your ear to the ground so to speak as it will be along while til you see your 22 being delivered. TPMS availability may change..

For top notch info.... current info from a very very reliable source..... do follow / search out posts from forum member @Goin2drt . This forum member has his finger on things so to speak. Hightly TPMS knowledgeable.....
He runs https://www.tpmsbargains.com . He has the answers you can take to the bank, so to speak... His website is also an excellent place to buy TPMS at.... at, if they are available..

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PAULY151
@Reinen

I agree with this.

Right now... for the next few months+-, you will have a hard time acquiring new TPMS's that will work with your 2022 or a 2021.....

IF, if.... you could even find them available that would be from a Mopar parts seller as these TPMS's are just not readily available... and for sure not available from somewhere other then say a Mopar dealership parts dept..

With that said.. DO, Do... when you get your 2022 JL, have the TPMS removed from the factory4 on the ground wheels and the spare and have them placed into the wheels you are placing on the 22 JL.

Keep your ear to the ground so to speak as it will be along while til you see your 22 being delivered. TPMS availability may change..

For top notch info.... current info from a very very reliable source..... do follow / search out posts from forum member @Goin2drt . This forum member has his finger on things so to speak. Hightly TPMS knowledgeable.....
He runs https://www.tpmsbargains.com . He has the answers you can take to the bank, so to speak... His website is also an excellent place to buy TPMS at.... at, if they are available..

And people thought I was crazy for getting my winter tires (w/ 5 new TPMS sensors) in August.
This is why. Gotta get in the queue early for anything you need nowadays.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Here are pages from the owner's manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS not available? TPMS Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS not available? TPMS Wrangler 2
Sponsored