DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Does that reset oil life and other stored data (stations, mpg?).
No. Those keep their data. It just reboots. I think it may free up ram, but am not sure. It acts like it does. @Rhinebeck01 might be able to shed some light on it. He is very knowledgeable of the Tazer and how it works. He'll possibly chime in with more info about what the reboot actually does.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
The initial report from the dealer is they haven't seen this before and don't know what caused it. I told them it's a well known problem here and they should start with the batteries.

I don't understand how so many people here have experienced or heard of this problem, yet dealers are clueless. Come on @JeepCares make your dealers aware of this problem and tell them how to fix it. Better yet, come up with an engineering solution to prevent it.

Richaedec1

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 2021
I've read about the sudden and total electrical failure and today experienced it. Driving along just fine when every warning light and message came on, wipers came on, lost power steering and who knows what else. Fortunately I was in a place where I could easily pull over and stop. Put it in Park and it wouldn't shut off. Nor would it come out of Park. Wipers wouldn't turn off. After about 5 minutes everything seemed to go back to normal, except still stuck in Park. I shut off and restarted. Put in Drive and in about 10 seconds it all happened again. Couldn't shut off for another 5- 10 minutes. Then it wouldn't restart at all. Still had power as the dash message stayed on and I charged my phone while waiting for a tow.

I searched for previous posts about similar problems but can't find them. I don't remember if there was a consensus on the solution. Right now it's sitting at the dealer waiting for diagnosis.

My first experience with Jeep road service was also disappointing. I refused to complete my request via the internet and took 3 tries to actually talk to someone. The tow service they contacted said it would be 90 - 120 minutes. I googled the company and read several of their 1 star reviews. All they had were 1 star reviews. Almost everyone talked about their slow response, no shows and damage to vehicles. I canceled and arranged my own with a 5 star service that was there in 45 minutes and even gave me a ride home.

I'll be waiting anxiously to hear from the dealer service department.
Keep talking with the dealership, find out what the code are that we’re reported, get a copy of the code on paper. Call Jeep customer care and demand action. If you can not get quick action , ask of buy back of you Jeep, this was the only action that got my 2021 JL repaired, after several trips in with no action and then 2 months waiting for parts. My Jeep is one year old, so my problem had been going on for quite some time.

OP
OP

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I got my Jeep back today. They found a bad cell in the main battery and replaced it. They also found problems with the RFH module and replaced that. Also did some reprogramming.

Everything seems to be fine now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I still find it hard to believe Jeep doesn't have a better way for the vehicle to respond to a bad battery.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
The amount of failures of EV batteries is totally underreported. You can get the info from the manufacturers through FOIA.
I don't think FOIA applies to publicly traded companies or foreign entities.

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
I always enjoy these threads.
I live for these threads but I'm getting spooked. Driving my '20 JLR 3.6 with over 100K flawless miles and anticipating these inevitable events is worrisome. I was checking the health of my batteries regularly and putting the trickle charger on it when it was setting a couple of days. Now I've got the attitude of hoping for it to take the boredom out of the day. The damn thing might as well be a Toyota,

Reactions: GtX

Texas Pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
This happened to me on Sunday. Pull over light came on and before we could get over the power steering failed, and I was able to horse it into a parking lot. Lights started flickering, windshield wipers would operate intermittently and then eventually a total electrical shutdown.. Had AAA tow it to the dealership where it's been since 12/20 and they keep telling me they are working on it with no answers. I've seen so many different possible solutions on these forums that I'm not sure what to advise them if anything and just let them try to figure it out.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant
Highly recommend the lawn mower battery delete and disable ESS using one of the available tools. Did this on my 2018 and proactively on my 2021 with only 4k miles on it. Add to this replacing the OEM battery between 24-30 months with a good aftermarket one.

The lawnmower battery sooner or later will wreck the main battery and leave you stranded.

OP
OP

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Are we sure the failed battery is the cause and not the result of some other component failing first? Everyone who's had this problem seems to report more repairs than just replacing the battery. It would be nice for @JeepCares to weigh in on what Jeep knows about this.
Sponsored