Sponsored

Brake failure

TekSupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0
In defense of the younger driver, how many these days would know the difference in feel of a system with/without brake boost? Or know what ABS activation feels like?
Unless you've been behind the wheel when this happens, these 'feels like...X' descriptions are tough to educate.
My first car was 4 wheel drums, no booster. I had to stand on the brakes a lot, and when they acted up one wheel would lock up. The first time I panic braked in a different car and ABS kicked in it was so chattery and loud a part of me wanted to lift off the pedal.

I do feel a bit lucky in comparison, my brakes squeal a lot, dealership could care less though.
Sponsored

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
My 19 JLUR has developed the same vacuum pump hissing when pressing and releasing the brake pedal. I’m at 3,500 miles. The brakes seem to work fine but I’ll take it to the dealer next week and see what they say about it.
Update: My dealer is saying that the hissing is normal and it's just the Vacuum Pump doing its job. Funny that I never noticed it for the first 3k miles. And none of my other cars do it. But, whatever, my brakes have always worked fine, so I'm calling it good for now.

NELNDT

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Yesterday while climbing a fairly steep staircase incline on an off road trail the brakes failed on my 2018 Jeep Rubicon JL. The vehicle rolled backwards downhill at a high rate of speed and I had the brake pedal completely pressed to the floor. I was rocking back and forth in 4L on the incline. I was pressing the gas pedal only as I was gassing it to move forward and letting off gas to rock backwards to get over a steep step. When the vehicle continued to roll backwards I applied the brakes and realized the vehicle wasn’t stopping but was gaining speed as it rolled down hill. I pressed the brakes as hard as I could to the floor. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for my friends, I wrecked into their vehicles which stopped my vehicle. If their vehicles were not at the bottom of the incline my vehicle would definitely have sailed right over the ledge backwards. Will take to dealer and post update. I’m 50 years old and I have a lot of off road experience. This was definitely a brake failure. I’ve owned many Jeeps and I really like the vehicle.

An4itio

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
UPDATE on breaking issues. The vaccum booster failed unfortunately Chrysler is blaming the accident. There is no body damage on the jeep. My insurance company has examined the jeep and nothing shows or proves it was caused from the accident. Chrysler needs to own up and fix the issue. I wouldn't want to see a fatality due to this happening to someone else. Isn't that why we have all
warranty on brand new jeeps.
We have a 2018 wrangler booster failed at 4000 miles and again at 8100 miles also have had others issues with brakes

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Update: My dealer is saying that the hissing is normal and it's just the Vacuum Pump doing its job. Funny that I never noticed it for the first 3k miles. And none of my other cars do it. But, whatever, my brakes have always worked fine, so I'm calling it good for now.
I only noticed the hissing sound today and I’m at 17k miles.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yesterday while climbing a fairly steep staircase incline on an off road trail the brakes failed on my 2018 Jeep Rubicon JL. The vehicle rolled backwards downhill at a high rate of speed and I had the brake pedal completely pressed to the floor. I was rocking back and forth in 4L on the incline. I was pressing the gas pedal only as I was gassing it to move forward and letting off gas to rock backwards to get over a steep step. When the vehicle continued to roll backwards I applied the brakes and realized the vehicle wasn’t stopping but was gaining speed as it rolled down hill. I pressed the brakes as hard as I could to the floor. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for my friends, I wrecked into their vehicles which stopped my vehicle. If their vehicles were not at the bottom of the incline my vehicle would definitely have sailed right over the ledge backwards. Will take to dealer and post update. I’m 50 years old and I have a lot of off road experience. This was definitely a brake failure. I’ve owned many Jeeps and I really like the vehicle.
I experienced this as I was coming down a long descend using the hill descent feature. It got to a point where the hill descent couldn’t keep the vehicle at the set speed and it started gaining momentum, it started to get hairy so I hit the brakes and it was like “slipping on ice”. I ended up using engine braking on manual mode to stop my vehicle and let my brakes cool down. They were really hot and I could smell it in the cabin. After cooling down my brakes were working properly again.

Jeepsy

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
I had the exact problem yesterday with mine. Thankfully the hand brake did not fail too!

Had to turn the jeep off and back on to get braking back.

Very sketchy situation

Keep me posted on your problem solving, will do the same

Sdchrisc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl sahara
I have the hissing sound too.. have we figured out the cause?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have the hissing sound too.. have we figured out the cause?
That’s the vacuum pump doing it’s job. You’re not used to it because most vehicles do not have one, and the Jeep’s is quite is noisy.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
While "the brakes failed/didn't work as expected" is prob the #1 excuse heard when a person rear ends another, I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I have to say that the brake pedal feel (not brake performance per se) is my least favorite thing on my JL (it was the only think I marked down on my buyer's survey). The pedal is very mushy and long in travel.

I have the 2.0L and, I also believe that the engine requires an additional vacuum pump to generate sufficient vacuum for the braking system. I think Jeep would do well to invest some R&D into brake pedal feel and brake engagement.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
While "the brakes failed/didn't work as expected" is prob the #1 excuse heard when a person rear ends another, I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I have to say that the brake pedal feel (not brake performance per se) is my least favorite thing on my JL (it was the only think I marked down on my buyer's survey). The pedal is very mushy and long in travel.

I have the 2.0L and, I also believe that the engine requires an additional vacuum pump to generate sufficient vacuum for the braking system. I think Jeep would do well to invest some R&D into brake pedal feel and brake engagement.
have you driven anyone else’s Jeep? Mine doesn’t match that description at all. Sounds like you have an air bubble.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

I could not agree more. Our 2020 JLUR's brakes are too mushy, travel is lengthy before engagement.

We drove a Chevy 2500 pickup as a rental, and barely hit the brakes and they engaged and functioned solidly and securely.

In my opinion, Jeep needs some work on its brakes, as they currently do not lend themselves to a warm and fuzzy feeling when using them.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No brand new vehicle should have these kind of issues.
Have you seen the page count of issue on this forum? Plenty of use have issues with our new JLs, big and small. :(

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
have you driven anyone else’s Jeep? Mine doesn’t match that description at all. Sounds like you have an air bubble.
Sadly, yes - drove multiple 2021 JLs. And it was a similar story on my 2016 JKUR. Spend considerable time with multiple brake fluid flushes, bleeding (including ABS tool activation) and aftermarket rotor/pads to get any semblance of a decent pedal feel/engagement.

I do agree with you, that if I make the same investment in time bleeding out the factory set up, I may get some marginal improvements. But. I have yet to find a JL with good pedal feel. The brake performance itself is fine and improved over the JK. It's just the pedal feel.

(anyway - did not mean to derail the thread - I don't think this has much to do with the OP's issue)
Sponsored