Top Tier gas

Do you use Too Tier gas in your JL/JLU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I have a 2.0L turbo that uses premium so Costco is my friend.
Sponsored

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
Always try to get Top Tier with my 2018 JLU V6. Proven results.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

bean80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep UJL 2005 Jeep TJ
Its the same price for 91 at costco as the cheap stuff around town, so why not

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner.
Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline? | Consumer Information
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov › articles
That is true, as you clearly said in most cases.

In the other cases, if you are experiencing knocking or pinging, there is a benefit to higher octane. Octane is simply a measure of a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition. The higher the number, the more resistance. You are right, though, that if all is normal, with no pinging or knocking, there is no advantage to higher octane unless the engine features the ability to adjust to it. My JL's 3.6 runs perfectly on 87. It won't make 1hp more on 89 or 93, so no advantage with the octane. However, my JK's 3.8 will occasionally get enough carbon build up that I'll get slight knocking and pinging. If I bump it to 89, the knock/ping goes away.

Note on the 3.8 and carbon...My routine to get rid of the carbon in that old 3.8 is a tankful of V-Power and a few Italian tune-ups. It'll then run fine on regular for five or six thousand miles. More recently, though, I think Shell has improved their detergent additive pack in their regular gas. I'm going on 8k or so with no knock or ping, at all. The octane in the V-Power doesn't give it more power, it is the removal of carbon that would have that effect, if it gains anything at all. If I run non-Top Tier fuel, like Kroger, I'll start getting the knocking/pinging after only a few tankfuls, which is less than 1k miles. I've only experimented with that a few times, but it was more than enough to consistently demonstrate the inferiority of that low detergent gas in that 3.8. It is very sensitive to carbon buildup.

My Mercedes can take advantage of higer octane, up to 91. It advances the timing and develops slightly more horsepower. However, it runs just fine on 87. I had a 2006 Pontiac Solstice with a 2.4 that was set up the same way. It probably gained at least 5 hp running 91 as opposed to 87. It wasn't much, but you could feel it. It also ran fine on 87, but would again adjust to the octane to prevent knock/ping.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Looking at the trip odometer reading you only drove .1 mile. I don't think that would be enough to get an accurate calculation of the mpg or range.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Are all stations listed among the brands which have adopted Top Tier required to actually supply Top Tier gas?

I’ve only seen one pump with a notification that it delivers Top Tier gas, and I only buy gas at brands which are included in the TT list.

Am I always getting TT gas even when there is no notice on the pump?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are all stations listed among the brands which have adopted Top Tier required to actually supply Top Tier gas?

I’ve only seen one pump with a notification that it delivers Top Tier gas, and I only buy gas at brands which are included in the TT list.

Am I always getting TT gas even when there is no notice on the pump?
Yes. If you are a Shell franchise, for example, you are getting and selling gas with Shell's additive package. They spot check their franchisees, too, as part of their quality control.
Sponsored