First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I read an Interesting online article today about actual top tier gas stations that mentioned the website linky I posted below.

If you want to verify the gas your using is actually a top tier fuel then Top tier linky. Just select country and brand. If you don’t see the brand then it’s not top tier.

Not top tier fuel surprises -
Amoco
BP
Pilot flying J
Loves
Sam’s Club

Suprised top tier fuel -
Costco wholesale,
Diamond shamrock
Meijer and meijer express
QT or quick trip

Not trying to start a debate on why it’s worth it or not. I personally never purchase top tier gas. But if it matters to you then you can verify with the linky above.
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
You ever hear of JD Power?

You basically found the JD Power of fuel companies.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying Screenshot_20240113-213516-393

You need to ask yourself, how does this independent company who only provides standards and a stamp of approval make their money?

Anybody taking money in one hand, and giving out an award with the other, is a scam artist if you ask me. I get that this is how modern-day marketing works, I just find it funny that companies like Buc-ee's who is widely known for having good quality fuel and almost unbeatable prices, is not on the list. Something tells me Buc-ee's doesn't need a special sticker on their pumps to sell fuel. Their name is big enough without some stupid marketing scheme.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying Screenshot_20240113-214304-608

The biggest thing you need to worry about at any fuel station anywhere in the country or the world is water in the tanks. Or for that matter outside contaminants. If you got a leaky tank, you got a problem. Otherwise at the end of the day it's all pretty much the same shit, they all have additives in their fuel, they all power your vehicle just fine. Just comes down to how much do you want to pay.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying Screenshot_20240113-214954-441

So Top Tier is kind of a confusing website, they list the brands that they certify as Top Tier, right? They don't really say what it is they do on their website other than list brands who sell their approved fuel.

After reading this article, it's kind of sounding like Top Tier sells the detergents / additives that they add to the fuel.

So basically from what I can tell, buying Top Tier fuel is buying Top Tier fuel additives.

If anybody can find something that says otherwise, I'd be interested to know.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Yeah, they sell fuel additives...

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying Screenshot_20240113-215931-792
Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying Screenshot_20240113-220004

Congratulations, you just fell for their marketing ploy.

Like I said in my first response, you shouldn't ever trust a company who takes money with one hand, and hands out awards with the other.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
You ever hear of JD Power?

You basically found the JD Power of fuel companies.

Screenshot_20240113-213516-393.png

You need to ask yourself, how does this independent company who only provides standards and a stamp of approval make their money?

Anybody taking money in one hand, and giving out an award with the other, is a scam artist if you ask me. I get that this is how modern-day marketing works, I just find it funny that companies like Buc-ee's who is widely known for having good quality fuel and almost unbeatable prices, is not on the list. Something tells me Buc-ee's doesn't need a special sticker on their pumps to sell fuel. Their name is big enough without some stupid marketing scheme.

Screenshot_20240113-214304-608.png

The biggest thing you need to worry about at any fuel station anywhere in the country or the world is water in the tanks. Or for that matter outside contaminants. If you got a leaky tank, you got a problem. Otherwise at the end of the day it's all pretty much the same shit, they all have additives in their fuel, they all power your vehicle just fine. Just comes down to how much do you want to pay.
Yes— according to an old friend’s brother who drove tanker for a Chevron distributor / CFN. Example— Costco’s gas was the same gas as Chevron, but either with less or Without Techron Added. The additives are added to the load along with the fuel. What additives, amount, and added or not, applied to all their customers. I doubt if it has changed. Any tanker yankers out there to confirm or deny ?

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
The fact that it says TM makes me wonder about their legitimacy. Anyone can trademark something. Everyone who markets a trademark is trying to make money.

Which isn't inherently a bad thing... it just sets off alarm bells personally when a name that can only have one possible meaning -- trying to convey quality -- is a trademark before a standard.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
I read an Interesting online article today about actual top tier gas stations that mentioned the website linky I posted below.

If you want to verify the gas your using is actually a top tier fuel then Top tier linky. Just select country and brand. If you don’t see the brand then it’s not top tier.

Not top tier fuel surprises -
Amoco
BP
Pilot flying J
Loves
Sam’s Club

Suprised top tier fuel -
Costco wholesale,
Diamond shamrock
Meijer and meijer express
QT or quick trip

Not trying to start a debate on why it’s worth it or not. I personally never purchase top tier gas. But if it matters to you then you can verify with the linky above.
BP and AMOCO used to be on the list. I looked it up a year or so ago when trying to find the best gas on a trip (and away from known stations) and BP as well as AMOCO were indeed in there.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying 1705207696223

Could be they no longer want to pay the exorbitant costs associated with the right to claim TT gas!

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying 1705207844399

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying 1705207925134

I have a feeling it's to do with economics - the cost to be able to use that designation, the name.
Yeah, they sell fuel additives...

Congratulations, you just fell for their marketing ploy.

Like I said in my first response, you shouldn't ever trust a company who takes money with one hand, and hands out awards with the other.
Wrong, that's not how it works.
The additive packages just have to be approved and meet TT criteria. It's a set of standards, they don't sell the additives, just approve them.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you think it’s top tier gas your buying 1705208192746

Independent laboratories are used to conduct the testing and certification.
It can be their own package as long as it meets several pages of minimums.
They don't sell the additives, just approve the results.

the name is licensed. You get your additives tested and if approved you pay through the nose to use the name and certification of your own additive package as shown below -

5. Process to Register Additive Packages for use in Licensed TOP TIER™ Detergent
Gasoline
5.1 Submission of Test Results. An additive or fuel company desiring to register an additive package for use in
licensed TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline products shall forward the test results issued by the Independent
Laboratory (“Test Results”) to the following address:
Center for Quality Assurance
Attn: TOP TIERTM Licensing Program
4800 James Savage Rd.
Midland, MI 48642 USA
Telephone: +1 989-496-2399
Facsimile: +1 989-496-3438
Email: [email protected]
5.2 Notification of receipt. The Test Results shall be reviewed by the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline program and, if deemed acceptable in its sole discretion, the additive company will be notified the additive package will be registered for use in licensed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline products. Such notification does not allow the use of the TOP TIER™ trademarks or logos.

Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
So Top Tier is kind of a confusing website, they list the brands that they certify as Top Tier, right? They don't really say what it is they do on their website other than list brands who sell their approved fuel.

After reading this article, it's kind of sounding like Top Tier sells the detergents / additives that they add to the fuel.

So basically from what I can tell, buying Top Tier fuel is buying Top Tier fuel additives.

If anybody can find something that says otherwise, I'd be interested to know.
The TT website lays out details.
You are gasoline brand XYZ. You want to be able to sell gas marked as TT at your XYZ stations. You apply to go through the process of having YOUR additive packages certified. You use an independent lab, and the results must meet criteria laid out in a multiple page document provided.
If it meets TT minimum requirements, you can be licensed to use the TT logo on your pumps, in your marketing and so on and sell your XYZ gasoline as being a TopTier gas.
You pay for the licensing rights.
It's your additives. I suspect you may pay an annual fee - I haven't dug that deep, but it's not likely to be cheap.
BP used to be TT gas - they are no longer listed but state their additive packages still exceed the TT standards - and IMO, that would mean that they just stopped paying the fees to be licensed to use the TT marketing and logos and so on - likely still the same gas.
If BP hasn't changed their additives, and are using the same additives they did when they were on the TT list and bought the licensing rights, then it's just as good as it was, but without the designation on the pump.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Only so many suppliers available in any one area. Sometimes the same fuel delivery truck stops at different brands locally to me. It's the additive package in the fuel that makes a difference. I buy the fuel that allows vehicle to run correctly without fouling the filter. Never buy from a station with fuel delivery in progress. Avoid the cheap stuff.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
All of my vehicles (except the Rubi obviously) usually run on Costco 91. It's consistently the cheapest available and is supposedly 'Top Tier'. Doesn't seem to burn any differently than Kroger 91, Maverick 91 or Shell 91 and the cars keep performing the same as they always have (3 Europeans and they all require 91 minimum). I don't think I've ever really paid attention to whether the premium I'm pumping is 'Top Tier' or not when I'm not filling up at Costco. If there's an additive difference, I don't notice it day to day.
I could see there being a viable reason to be picky about fuel if you're pumping at a station that doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I'm not too sure anyone is really gonna notice the difference between 'Top Tier' or not.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I buy Sunoco gas. It just happens to be Top Tier with the extra-special super-duper nitro-proof detergents like the JL owner's manual recommends (maybe not necessary, but certainly doesn't hurt anything). Added detergent branding aside, it's just good, consistent gas, usually price-competitive, with zero water or other fuel system problems in countless vehicles over the past several decades of using the stuff 99% exclusively.

I like it, but everyone's free to buy whatever the fuck they wanna spend their money on. Some people like Coke, some people like Pabst Blue Ribbon. That's great. Variety is the spice of life and I'd be pissed if every mf'er was lined up at my local gas station.

And sure, it's just "marketing hype' says the guy with the Amsoil sticker on his Jeep 😁
Sponsored