Do you use Too Tier gas in your JL/JLU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Much rather run ethanol-free than top tier, but if it ethanol blend is only petro available then top tier gets my coin.
High test -non ethanol,,,,91 0ctane..best of both worlds . All my vehicles get it and they told me they love it !
I put the cheap shit in my rider mower
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
High test -non ethanol,,,,91 0ctane..best of both worlds . All my vehicles get it and they told me they love it 1
And you live in Vermont, lots of win all around there!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Gas is gas. Example is north Texas gas comes through the Explorer pipeline with all refineries mixing their fuels. Only when they add additives to the tanker at the terminal does it become top tier or branded. The difference isn't in the fuel but the detergents, octane and ethanol added after the fact.
The only thing I would add to that is that some of the less renowned gas stations do not perform proper maintenance or inspections of the individual stations holding tanks and pumping units. My brother a few years back had to get a new engine put in his brand new Ram Rebel because of contaminated gas at a Loves gas station in a run down part of town.

MarkTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Is Stop & Shop gas top tier? Best I can tell, the answer to that is “depends on the supplier, and supplier varies.”

I can say that my wife got a bad tank of gas in her GMC Yukon from S&S. My guess is that it had water in it. Caused rough idle and bunch of engine codes. All was well after a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and 93 octane Sunoco. No more Stop and Shop gas in her truck... Admittedly, however, I’m still using it in my JL from time to time. I mean, when I accumulate enough points to get $0.90 off per gallon it’s damn hard to pass up. GM’s V8 is notorious for finicky injectors, and I’m telling myself that the 3.6 Pentastar will be just fine.
Its not Stop & Shop, or any brand, per se that is the issue, it's the mom and pop "management" of the filling stations that don't keep their underground tanks filled enough. All underground tanks condense a little water at the bottom (water is heavier than gasoline), and when the tanks are near empty, that's what gets pumped into your car. Ask me how I know. And if a station does it once, they will do it again. Don't go back to THAT one!

Skyranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I live in buffalo New York and this is the first I’ve heard of it
I had to look it up to see what it was

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Gas is very expensive in Toronto, so I stick to regular and get mid to top when in the US, to me the JL seems to run smoother on higher octane.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Gas is very expensive in Toronto, so I stick to regular and get mid to top when in the US, to me the JL seems to run smoother on higher octane.
No question the 4cyl turbo runs better on high test

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I have an Ethanol free station near my house, one of only two in the city, and use their 90 octane every time.
I do too but it’s $4.69 a gallon! . Opposed to their 93 octane 10% ethanol blend which is $3.40. Can’t afford the 100% pure gas.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For those looking for ethanol free gas, there is a great app called "PureGas." I have used it many times, as my JK's 3.8 performs much better on it. The problem in my area is that it is usually 91 octane and very expensive.

As a side note, I've noticed over the last year that the JK has been performing better than recent years on regular Shell gas. (That's the brand I use 95% of the time). I saw someone on another forum who tested several of his local gas stations, including Shell, and that their actual ethanol content was well below 10%. He said his local Shell was below 5%. That would explain my 3.8's joy. So, since we're thinking about this, I just ordered a test kit, so when it arrives, I'll test a couple gas stations and I'll post what I find. I'll likely start a new thread for that, though. Stay tuned! I'd love to find out that the content is very low. I can then start saving some money on gas for my outboard boat motor!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
For those looking for ethanol free gas, there is a great app called "PureGas." I have used it many times, as my JK's 3.8 performs much better on it. The problem in my area is that it is usually 91 octane and very expensive.

As a side note, I've noticed over the last year that the JK has been performing better than recent years on regular Shell gas. (That's the brand I use 95% of the time). I saw someone on another forum who tested several of his local gas stations, including Shell, and that their actual ethanol content was well below 10%. He said his local Shell was below 5%. That would explain my 3.8's joy. So, since we're thinking about this, I just ordered a test kit, so when it arrives, I'll test a couple gas stations and I'll post what I find. I'll likely start a new thread for that, though. Stay tuned! I'd love to find out that the content is very low. I can then start saving some money on gas for my outboard boat motor!
PureGas is great. (Old boat engines absolutely suffer with ethanol.)

Tip: small airports, should you have one nearby, sell ethanol free gas much cheaper than the “raceway” stations that PureGas app finds.

For my carbureted lawn tools (blower, weed whacker, chainsaw) I suck it up and by the ethanol free, 94 octane 50:1 at Tractor Supply. Yeah, it’s $22 for a gallon, but a gallon lasts me a whole season and I don’t have to worry about it going bad or fouling my carbs.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Awesome Dan! I look forward to your test! I too use Shell so this will help me. I use Sunoco too and that seems fine too. 93 octane too cuz I feel the 3.6 runs better on it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
PureGas is great. (Old boat engines absolutely suffer with ethanol.)

Tip: small airports, should you have one nearby, sell ethanol free gas much cheaper than the “raceway” stations that PureGas app finds.

For my carbureted lawn tools (blower, weed whacker, chainsaw) I suck it up and by the ethanol free, 94 octane 50:1 at Tractor Supply. Yeah, it’s $22 for a gallon, but a gallon lasts me a whole season and I don’t have to worry about it going bad or fouling my carbs.
How do you purchase it at a local airport? Do you have to arrange to drive into the FBO area, or do they only fill gas cans?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
How do you purchase it at a local airport? Do you have to arrange to drive into the FBO area, or do they only fill gas cans?
I only fill gas cans, but the airport I go to is tiny and not for commercial flights. They have an easily accessible pump. I guess YMMV depending on the airport.

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
It's a complete scam the entire Top Tier branding. A money grab.

Do yourself a favor and save some $$$$ and run a can of Seafoam through the intake every 10k miles or so.
What’s seafoam?
Sponsored