To Catch a Catch Can

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
In all fairness...let's be honest....if you were able to travel around the U.S. trying out different trails, were sponsored by some really good companies (after all...they don't have junk on their Jeep), and were able to have it paid for by simply backing their product...many on the forum would do the same in a heartbeat. So you can't fault them for that.

And to be honest, there are several things (not everything) they have added that I have on my "wishlist"...not because they say "you have to have this on your Jeep," but because you get to see these products in action on the trail.

Just my opinion.
Plus their "Don't be that guy" video is well worth subscribing and watching all their stuff. I was already a Baja Designs customer, and was looking for a catch can. My UPR buy was because of them.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
n all fairness...let's be honest....if you were able to travel around the U.S. trying out different trails, were sponsored by some really good companies (after all...they don't have junk on their Jeep), and were able to have it paid for by simply backing their product...many on the forum would do the same in a heartbeat. So you can't fault them for that.
I think that perhaps you have misunderstood my meaning.
If companies would sponsor me to put stuff on my Jeep and then say nice things about, sure.. I would do that. Sadly, I am not a beautiful blonde woman in Yoga pants, as such, I feel my chances for lucrative sponsorship deals may be less that assured.

It is important to understand and distinguish however, that is exactly what they are doing. I have no moral objection to it or otherwise, but it is literally the same as watching a product infomercial on late night TV and taking that as a non-biased review of a product. When a person's livelihood is contingent on getting as many strangers to buy something as possible, naturally they won't say.. Hey.. this is a crap product. They will say, hey... I got this super sexy GF who Jeeps and wears yoga pants, but only because I switched to ACME brand oil filtration products.

Sponsors give sponsorship to channels with lots of clicks and those which will give a positive spin.

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
hey... I got this super sexy GF who Jeeps and wears yoga pants, but only because I switched to ACME brand oil filtration products.
I'd have loved it if you said "flirtation" products. ;)

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
If companies would sponsor me to put stuff on my Jeep and then say nice things about, sure.. I would do that. Sadly, I am not a beautiful blonde woman in Yoga pants, as such, I feel my chances for lucrative sponsorship deals may be less that assured.

It is important to understand and distinguish however, that is exactly what they are doing. I have no moral objection to it or otherwise, but it is literally the same as watching a product infomercial on late night TV and taking that as a non-biased review of a product. When a person's livelihood is contingent on getting as many strangers to buy something as possible, naturally they won't say.. Hey.. this is a crap product. They will say, hey... I got this super sexy GF who Jeeps and wears yoga pants, but only because I switched to ACME brand oil filtration products.

Sponsors give sponsorship to channels with lots of clicks and those which will give a positive spin.
I get it. I suppose it would be different if they were trying to convince people to buy products that have historically had bad reviews or is junk, breaks or is incapable of performing on the trail, but based on what I have seen, that is not the case. I think they push the products they use because they perform and quite frankly, are some of the best. I'm not sure they have any affiliation with Milestar, but they rave over the Patagonias. Why? Because they have been impressed with what they can do on the trail. All that said, I'm not their spokesman, just someone that enjoys their videos and am impressed by the mods they have, so folks can look at it how they want. :like: As for Brittany, yes, she is smokin', BUT...she also is one of the best spotters anywhere. I'm sure her looks didn't hurt their channel from gaining traction and notoriety, but I believe them taking a stock Rubicon (not so stock anymore), and wheeling it a way 90% of us don't over some of the most difficult trails in the country helped alot too. ;)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

There are plenty of guys who are not beautiful by any stretch (Sorry @Kevin8086, Brad @ TrailRecon, Ronny @ 4WDWA) who do the same thing. They get to do what they love and are able to get some money or swag from companies to do it. If they pitch a product that a sponsor gives them why does that get anyone’s panties in a bunch? As a viewer of internet content that’s older than about 15 years old it’s up to you to understand that it’s sponsored by someone because they’re internet famous and determine if that makes the product automatically garbage to you. If so, feel free to boycott the companies who choose to use them as an outlet to reach the Jeep community and ignore their videos entirely. Or if your problem is with Brittany and Kevin, skip their videos and the knowledge they share through DIYs and installs, don’t be entertained by their adventures and interactions with other YouTube Jeepers and regular Jeep owners, don’t see how the product handles real world use (and sometimes abuse) on a Jeep that’s actually wheeled hard on a consistent basis. You’re entitled to do that and don’t owe anyone an explanation.

And in interest of correctness, Brittany is Kevin’s wife not his girlfriend.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
There are plenty of guys who are not beautiful by any stretch (Sorry @Kevin8086, Brad @ TrailRecon, Ronny @ 4WDWA) who do the same thing. They get to do what they love and are able to get some money or swag from companies to do it. If they pitch a product that a sponsor gives them why does that get anyone’s panties in a bunch? As a viewer of internet content that’s older than about 15 years old it’s up to you to understand that it’s sponsored by someone because they’re internet famous and determine if that makes the product automatically garbage to you. If so, feel free to boycott the companies who choose to use them as an outlet to reach the Jeep community and ignore their videos entirely. Or if your problem is with Brittany and Kevin, skip their videos and the knowledge they share through DIYs and installs, don’t be entertained by their adventures and interactions with other YouTube Jeepers and regular Jeep owners, don’t see how the product handles real world use (and sometimes abuse) on a Jeep that’s actually wheeled hard on a consistent basis. You’re entitled to do that and don’t owe anyone an explanation.
Dang man, it seems like you really have your panties in a bunch of over this.
As mentioned, I do find their videos entertaining, and not only because of the pretty girl.
You seem to be suggesting that it is wrong to point out that someone is sponsored by the products in which they are reviewing? Very strange stance, I have to say.
If you are swayed by their reviews, that is OK. However, it is not unreasonable to point out a clear conflict of interest.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Dang man, it seems like you really have your panties in a bunch of over this.
As mentioned, I do find their videos entertaining, and not only because of the pretty girl.
You seem to be suggesting that it is wrong to point out that someone is sponsored by the products in which they are reviewing? Very strange stance, I have to say.
If you are swayed by their reviews, that is OK. However, it is not unreasonable to point out a clear conflict of interest.
That’s exactly what I thought about your comments, lol! Do you think there is some subterfuge or confusion that anyone viewing their videos DOESN’T realize that some of them are sponsored? I thought that was clear. In fact it’s explicitly stated some of the time. I’m curious as to why that creates a conflict of interest in your mind? Do you have an issue with all reviews of products where the reviewer receives some sort of compensation?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I'm not sure they have any affiliation with Milestar, but they rave over the Patagonias. Why?
Dude, no one ever said they do not believe the things that they say. Maybe they are great tires.
Would you know if they were sponsored? They do not always mention it.

And yes, they are really good at wheeling. That's why their videos are entertaining. They beat the hell out their rig.
The guy has certainly better driving skills than I do and she is likely a better spotter.
I'm just saying.. if someone is sponsored by a product, you should take it into account.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Do you have an issue with all reviews of products where the reviewer receives some sort of compensation?
It seems like you are not reading my posts.
I specifically said that I have no moral objections or otherwise.
Yes, some times they do mention they are sponsored and sometimes not.
And yes, being compensated for a product review meets the definition of a conflict of interest.
In fact, the US, the FTC requires clear disclosure of paid or compensated reviews by bloggers because it is a conflict. Nothing to do with "in my mind" as you put it. It is literally the legal definition.
Do you have a vested interest in them or just a fan?
As mentioned many times.. I also enjoy their videos, but I also do not take their word as the Gospel according to Britney.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Dude, no one ever said they do not believe the things that they say. Maybe they are great tires.
Would you know if they were sponsored? They do not always mention it.

And yes, they are really good at wheeling. That's why their videos are entertaining. They beat the hell out their rig.
The guy has certainly better driving skills than I do and she is likely a better spotter.
I'm just saying.. if someone is sponsored by a product, you should take it into account.
Alrighty!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It seems like you are not reading my posts.
I specifically said that I have no moral objections or otherwise.
Yes, some times they do mention they are sponsored and sometimes not.
And yes, being compensated for a product review meets the definition of a conflict of interest.
In fact, the US, the FTC requires clear disclosure of paid or compensated reviews by bloggers because it is a conflict. Nothing to do with "in my mind" as you put it. It is literally the legal definition.
Do you have a vested interest in them or just a fan?
As mentioned many times.. I also enjoy their videos, but I also do not take their word as the Gospel according to Britney.
Got it. That clears things up for me. Thanks! :like:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
To bring it back on topic, catch cans do some good. Are they absolutely necessary? No. Do they hurt anything? No. Will the blowby that they capture cause premature engine failure or appreciably shorten engine life? Not likely.

Disclaimer: These UNCOMPENSATED opinions are my own, based solely on my personal wrenching experience and from researching the topic on the internet, so all of my information must be true. No remuneration nor financial consideration has been provided in exchange for these opinions. These opinions may not be reprinted or repeated in whole or in part without my expressed written consent. Your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor. Carpe diem. Groove on.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Had one on my challenger with a spigot on the bottom to drain. Worked perfectly with little mess. I will transfer that to my jeep.

Newer motors have a lot of blowby... about a cup per oil change. Your intake will work better if it's not covered in oil. Then there is the whole smoking thing during high incline
Sponsored